Why pay for a new version?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Magyarock
Why pay for a new version?

Post by Magyarock » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:17 pm

I have a licence for Twonkymedia. When I bought this licence app. 2 years ago it was stated that this licence included free upgrades for all futere versions. Now version 5 is released and I have to pay for a licence again if I want to use this new version. I feel that Twonky once more has let us down and I feel we've been cheated by Twonky / Packetvideo.'
Come on, why not keep your promise and give us what you said we paid for?

uschxc
AV Hardware:xbox 360

Re: Why pay for a new version?

Post by uschxc » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:14 am

i don't think its absurd to think you would have to pay for a new license for a full version upgrade, not just feature upgrades like 4.4->4.6

i don't think twonky said anywhere buy our software once and you get every subsequent major version release for free.

Magyarock

Post by Magyarock » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:04 am

When I bought the license (it was version 3,x) this was what they said. The upgrade from 3.x to 4.x was free, as they

promised. I understand I have to pay for the new Media Manager: it's a new product (what looks very good I think).

I stay with version 4.4.9 This version runs very good on my system. :D

Benneton
AV Hardware:Buffalo Terastation, firmware 2.17 login enabled. Twonky 4.17
Kodak EX811
Philips SL400i
Sonos ZP90
Tangent Quattro MKII

Post by Benneton » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi,

I would not mind to much to pay for a new license, all though not as promised when I bought the server.
But then I would expect there to be a NAS version again, with a seperate TMM client to control the server from the PC's in the house.
I have to say I like the feature to drag 'n drop media to my Philips SL400i, that really works fine.
I wish this would work on my Tangent Quattro, Logik IR100 and my picture frame.

Can someone tell me what a new license costs? I could not find it on the new teletubby website.

Bernard

rem

Post by rem » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:39 pm

i've been using twonky 4.3 on my maxtor mss+ for a while now.

i bought the license and also bought the additional "life time" license. does this mean that upgrading to TMS 5 is free? or do i have to purchase another license?

not interested in the media manager...just the server version.

also, will there be an install package for the maxtor mss+? if not, will the manual install from the x86 package work?

EDIT: answered one of my own questions. you do have to pay ~ $20 to go from 4.x to 5.0. so this brings up another question: what does "lifetime" actually mean? the next time i make a payment, i will be sure to read all the fine prints on what the license allows in terms of updates/upgrades.
twonky 4.3 on mss+ & twonky 5 on winxp sp3
serving 2 roku soundbridges & 1 ps3

sonic

Post by sonic » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:35 pm

Email: support@twonkymedia.com
They will sort out the "Lifetime" licence users!

Magyarock

Post by Magyarock » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:29 pm

sonic wrote:Email: support@twonkymedia.com
They will sort out the "Lifetime" licence users!
And the lifetime license was more expensive than the normal license. So I Think we want value for our money, that is a free upgrade to the 5.0 version (the server version, not the media manager offcourse)
I hope they recognize our right and that they only have forgotten to mention this on the website (or they send users with a lifetime license an upgrade key)

Benneton
AV Hardware:Buffalo Terastation, firmware 2.17 login enabled. Twonky 4.17
Kodak EX811
Philips SL400i
Sonos ZP90
Tangent Quattro MKII

Post by Benneton » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Lifetime, don't know what Twonky thinks off it but for me it is as long as there are updates for the mediaserver, that's what I bought, I should get those for free.
Two tiny problems:
1 Twonky stopped updating the NAS versions (for me the Buffalo Terastation). :?:
I would like to have TMS 5.??, I tried the 5.0beta1 but this was not all to stable on my NAS.

2 Twonky created a new product that includes the TMS. I have installed the TMM as a test and I am very impressed with they way it can manage my Philips SL400i. Great way off pushing music to the system. The only thing is it installs also a TMS on my PC, that is something I do not want. I would like only to have the Media Manager on my PC's to Manage the music. The Media Server works fine on the NAS.

Unfortunatly that is not available (yet). If I would have to pay for the TMM that would be acceptable because it is a new product/feature, but I think Twonky should still update the NAS versions. That is the reason I bought it in the first place.

Hopefull that Twonky will sort out something with it's NAS user base, to what I read here in the fora not a small group off PAYING customers...

Bernard

peterfu

Post by peterfu » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:31 pm

I'm in a similar situation, so I add my comment to this thread.
Bought twonkymedia server with lifetime upgrade and also ability to run on 3 different computers. Now I found that my licence key is not valid anymore for version 5.0.
Have contacted support via web formular and wait now for answere.

I use the server also on a NAS, but build the package for the NAS (Thecus N5200) for myself out of the plain linux version and maintain this module also for other users. Of course not having a licence anymore I will stick on version 4.9 and also stop maintaining this module for the thecus box.

Peter

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:27 am

rem wrote:i've been using twonky 4.3 on my maxtor mss+ for a while now.

i bought the license and also bought the additional "life time" license. does this mean that upgrading to TMS 5 is free? or do i have to purchase another license?

also, will there be an install package for the maxtor mss+? if not, will the manual install from the x86 package work?

EDIT: answered one of my own questions. you do have to pay ~ $20 to go from 4.x to 5.0. so this brings up another question: what does "lifetime" actually mean? the next time i make a payment, i will be sure to read all the fine prints on what the license allows in terms of updates/upgrades.
Pretty sure this is an oversight. It's currently being looked into. However people that sort this out, are out until 5th Jan.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Shockmaindave
AV Hardware:Windows Vista
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:09 am

[quote="uschxc"]i don't think its absurd to think you would have to pay for a new license for a full version upgrade, not just feature upgrades like 4.4->4.6

i don't think twonky said anywhere buy our software once and you get every subsequent major version release for free.[/quote]

--Says the person who joined the forum on December 19.

Those of us that paid for lifetime upgrades a few years back might not agree with you.

peterfu

Post by peterfu » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:50 pm

Shockmaindave wrote:
uschxc wrote:i don't think its absurd to think you would have to pay for a new license for a full version upgrade, not just feature upgrades like 4.4->4.6

i don't think twonky said anywhere buy our software once and you get every subsequent major version release for free.

--Says the person who joined the forum on December 19.

Those of us that paid for lifetime upgrades a few years back might not agree with you.
I am one of the users who do not agree.
Have purchased my licence in 2005 with lifetime upgrade and possibility to install on 3 different computers at the same time. This was a premium licence which was more expensive than the 2 year upgrade service.
Wait now for a response of the customer support to fullfill this legal obligation.
br
Peter

peterfu

Post by peterfu » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:15 am

Update:
Received Yesterday a new licence key valid now for Version 5 from customer support - so PV still takes care of the "lifetime" licences.
br
Peter

rem

Post by rem » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:32 am

i contacted support via email and i finally got an email back today with a license key for tms 5.0. a free upgrade. thanks to those who advised me to contact support. and a little patience helps.

however, i guess i'm out of luck with a version that works with the maxtor shared storage +
twonky 4.3 on mss+ & twonky 5 on winxp sp3
serving 2 roku soundbridges & 1 ps3

xrayelk

Post by xrayelk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:48 am

uschxc wrote:i don't think twonky said anywhere buy our software once and you get every subsequent major version release for free.
Yes, actually they did... when I paid extra to purchase my "LIFETIME upgrades" license. They probably don't have those any more for new people. :)

spe
AV Hardware:Synology 207+ NAS
Popcornhour A100
Hauppage MVP

Post by spe » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:38 am

rem wrote:

i contacted support via email and i finally got an email back today with a license key for tms 5.0. a free upgrade. thanks to those who advised me to contact support. and a little patience helps.

however, i guess i'm out of luck with a version that works with the maxtor shared storage +
Not necessarily.

Have a look on here http://www.twonkyforum.com/unsupported/5.0.46/

That should put a smile back on your face.

splee

Post by splee » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:34 am

I too am a premium licensed (with lifetime upgrades) 4.4.9 user who has had trouble upgrading to 5.0. I have contacted support twice now via email and still no response :(

I am going to give these guys a few more days to respond, after which if there is still no response I'll take it there never will be and will move to a competitive product.

k1200rs
AV Hardware:Does no longer attend this forum.

Post by k1200rs » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:13 pm

peterfu wrote: I am one of the users who do not agree.
Have purchased my licence in 2005 with lifetime upgrade and possibility to install on 3 different computers at the same time. This was a premium licence which was more expensive than the 2 year upgrade service.

I also purchased lifetime Twonky license in 2005 for someting like 20 Euros..

Do I feel cheated? Are you serious???...20 Euros for almost 4 year...5 Euros / year...yeah...even not the price of just a one way underground ticket in London...I am sure you have spent 5 Euros / year on much less valuable thing (like we all do).

I believe that the previous business model and prices were not sustainable. But maybe you would you have preferred Twonky to go broke?

Besides, they introduced TMM as a new product.

xrayelk

Post by xrayelk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:28 pm

There is a difference between the Twonky Media Manager and Twonky Media Server.

There is a V5 Twonky Media Server.

That is what people are talking about, not the Twonky Media Manager, which is a new product.

Lifetime upgrades means lifetime upgrades.

Am I missing something here?

NalleBear

Post by NalleBear » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi there,

I contacted the support team regarding my TMS lifetime key. Here is what I wrote:
Dear Twonky support,

a few years ago I started using Twonky Media Server in version 3.x. At that time I bought a so called “Lifetime License” valid for all future updates to the media server. Now I tried to install version 5.0 of the server what didn’t succeed because my license key is not accepted anymore. Why can’t I use my lifetime license anymore for the new version? In my opinion “lifetime” means that the key is valid as long as the product “Twonky Media Server” exists and for all future versions of this product. That’s what I thought I paid for when buying the license key.

Now I would like you to investigate this issue and make my key work again. Or just send me a new LIFETIME key for Twonky Media Server, that works with version 5.0.
Here is their answer:
Hi,

We are sorry but you cannot upgrade to version 5.0 for free, however you are entitled to a discount. Twonky has come up with new features - TwonkyMedia Manager. To get the special upgrade price You ll need to request a TMS 5.x key and then use that key to upgrade.

1. Go to http://www.twonkmedia.com and click on "Buy" at the top of the screen.

2. Next, click on the link that says "Current TwonkyMedia server user?"
on the right

3. Now, click on the blue button that says "Upgrade to TwonkyMedia
manager".

4. Enter your name, address and 5.x serial number and press the Continue
button.

5. You should be able to upgrade for $9.95 US.

Thanks
The TwonkyMedia Team

Well, I was pretty surprised reading this. Why are they talking about media manager 5? All I asked for was the server version. I never mentioned the word "manager" in my request. And instead of sending me a new valid TMS key they give me advice to request one. :roll:

After answering their mail I'm now waiting for my key.

NalleBear

xrayelk

Post by xrayelk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:07 pm

Yeah, Twonky Media Manager does not interest me at all. I just want the Twonky Media Server upgrade that I've already paid for.

I'm still waiting for my reply... have been waiting for 2 weeks now. :roll:

Magyarock

Post by Magyarock » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:28 pm

[/quote]
Well, I was pretty surprised reading this. Why are they talking about media manager 5? All I asked for was the server version. I never mentioned the word "manager" in my request. And instead of sending me a new valid TMS key they give me advice to request one. :roll:

After answering their mail I'm now waiting for my key.

NalleBear[/quote]

They gave me the same (standard) answer. I replied more than a week ago, but until now they didn't send me an answer.

Bad behaviour Twonky!

aqxx

Post by aqxx » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:04 am

Got the same bad Twonky reply:

Hi,

If you are a lifetime TwonkyLicense holder, Please follow the steps given below to upgrade to 5.0 -

1.Go to http://www.twonkmedia.com and click on ""Buy"" at the top of the screen.
2.Next, click on the link that says ""Current TwonkyMedia server user?""
on the right
3.Now, click on the blue button that says ""Upgrade to TwonkyMedia Server"".
4.Enter your name, address and 5.x serial number and press the Continue button.

Thanks
The TwonkyMedia Team

Magyarock

Post by Magyarock » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:53 pm

aqxx wrote:Got the same bad Twonky reply:

Hi,

If you are a lifetime TwonkyLicense holder, Please follow the steps given below to upgrade to 5.0 -

1.Go to http://www.twonkmedia.com and click on ""Buy"" at the top of the screen.
on the right

Thanks
The TwonkyMedia Team
- And then they want you to pay EUR 9,95 for your FREE upgrade

- They want you enter your 5.X serial number?????

WE DON'T HAVE A 5.X SERIAL NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE WANT TO GET OUR FREE UPGRADE FROM SERVER 4.X TO 5.X!!!

People at Twonky, WAKE UP PLEASE.

I wish Packetvideo never took over Twonkyvision......

NalleBear

Post by NalleBear » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:43 pm

peterfu wrote:Update:
Received Yesterday a new licence key valid now for Version 5 from customer support - so PV still takes care of the "lifetime" licences.
br
Peter
So what did you do to get the key? My experience is that PV does not care for the lifetime licenses at all.

I started a new request yesterday:
Dear support team,

I own a Twonky Media Server lifetime key which unfortunately does not work anymore with TMS 5.0. I ask you to send me a working key so that I can update my TMS 4.9 installation to version 5.x.

Please refer to this data:

Email: ********
Lifetime TMS key: *********

Thank you very much.

Ralf Hoevelmann

p.s.: To avoid misunderstandings: I request a Twonky Media Server 5.x key NOT a key for the new product Twonky Media Manager.
Their response came quickly:
Hi,

on the right

Thanks
The TwonkyMedia Team
What I didn't notice before are the two different upgrade options for manager and server. I think this is new. Anxiously I filled in the form for server upgrade and used my lifetime license key. On the next page they asked me to pay 9,95€ for the upgrade. :evil:

I then tried to upgrade to the media manager (just for fun). The fee is listed as 15,95€. What is interesting is, that the amount in Dollars is 19,99 for any of the upgrades. These are very strange exchange rates! :lol:

As a matter of fact PV still offers TMS as a standalone product as the two upgrade options show. This means that the product life cycle of TMS has not ended jet. So the TMS lifetime keys are definitetly valid for the current (and all future) version(s) of TMS.

I really would like to read an official statement from Twonky support or PV regarding the lifetime licenses. And I would like to read it SOON! I'm already maintaining a personal blacklist of untrustworthy companies and PV is definitely the best candidate to participate next.

Ralf.

NalleBear

Finally I got my key :)

Post by NalleBear » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:53 pm

After reading again in another thread, lifetime license users should write a mail to support, I tried it for the fourth time.

This time i just wrote this:
Hi there,

I bought a lifetime license for TMS some years ago and have used it since then. Unfortunally TMS 5.0 now says that the license is not valid for this version. Can I get a new key for TMS 5.0?

Best regards,

NalleBear.
The next day i received a reply from the Accounting Team asking me for my license key. I sent it and received a new working key for TMS 5. At last a miracle has happened!

But I still must say that the support from PV is dreadful.

Regards,
NalleBear.

xrayelk

Post by xrayelk » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:02 am

I submitted a help ticket to customer support on January 8th saying the same thing. Still have not heard back from them. Their customer support is abysmal.

TwinTraveller

Post by TwinTraveller » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:48 am

Well it seems that Twonky still hasn't figured out their lifetime licenses yet. I've been waiting for more than a week and haven't heard a word from them. This is p... poor customer service.
k1200rs wrote: I also purchased lifetime Twonky license in 2005 for someting like 20 Euros..

Do I feel cheated? Are you serious???...20 Euros for almost 4 year...5 Euros / year...yeah...even not the price of just a one way underground ticket in London...I am sure you have spent 5 Euros / year on much less valuable thing (like we all do).
Yes I feel cheated! I paid €29.95 for lifetime upgrades for the TwonkyMedia SERVER. I could have paid €19.95 for the standard license. This would have left me with the €9.95 to buy the upgrade now. It is all about honouring your commitment to your customer.
k1200rs wrote: I believe that the previous business model and prices were not sustainable. But maybe you would you have preferred Twonky to go broke?
They should have thought about this before they decided to offer the lifetime model. They made me pay extra, an I did not get anything in return.
I have software from other vendors (e.g. Collectorz.com) who also decided that their lifetime upgrade model was no longer sustainable and they do not offer it anymore, but they do honour their commitment to their early customers with every release. All it takes is an email to the customer services department, and you receive an email with the new upgrade key within a day, sometimes even hours or minutes. Packet video certainly has a lot to lear.
k1200rs wrote: Besides, they introduced TMM as a new product.
I don't want an upgrade to Twonky Media Mamager. I want an upgrade to Twonky Media SERVER. Not a free upgrade though, but one for which I paid 3 years ago!

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:39 am

Locking topic. Lifetime server licences get upgrades to TMS5 (NOT TMM), email support.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.