Media Server without a PC ????

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
mc_001
AV Hardware:Western Digital MyBookWorld 4 TB Network Hard Drive
Media Server without a PC???

Post by mc_001 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:38 pm

Okay, so the above image is the layout of my network. Here is my question... :?:

I would like to know if its possible to somehow allow the PS3 to play my downloaded Videos/TV shows/Movies from the 4 TB Network Drive WITHOUT having my laptop acting as the media server. In otherwords, supposing that all the computer's on the network were turned OFF. Could the PS3 still play the media on the 4 TB Network Drive? And if so, how? What software would have to be installed into the Network Drive or the PS3 to make this happen? Because as far as I understand, at least one PC or laptop must be running a media server program (such as Java_PS3_MediaServer) for the PS3 to play the content on the network drive.

Can someone tell me if what I am asking is possible? :?:

mc_001
AV Hardware:Western Digital MyBookWorld 4 TB Network Hard Drive

Media Server without a PC ????

Post by mc_001 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:46 pm

???
Last edited by mc_001 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agb007

Re: Media Server without a PC ????

Post by agb007 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi,

Without knowing exactly the capabilities of ps3 or your 4TB drive.

What you are looking for is what normally is called a NAS (Networked Attached Storage).

Maybe the nas version of Twonky should fix it on your drive.
It does it on my mss+

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Media Server without a PC ????

Post by mgillespie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:38 pm

You need something with a CPU in it. Twonky can be run on LOTS of devices, If your 4TB Networkj Hard Drive has some "intelligence", there is a high posibility you can run Twonky on that. If it's just a box with drives in it, and a USB connection, then you need something else.

Let us know what model storage device it is, and we might be able to advise futher. The other option is to get a router with "intelligence", this thread may be of interest...

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 714#p22410
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.