TwonkyMedia 4.4.11 on WestenDigital MyBook WE 1TB NAS Device

Other OS or NAS discussions
AlterEgo
AV Hardware:Western Digital MyBook World Edtion , 1 Terabyte NAS Device.

Twonkyvision for emedded NAS Linux ARM little endian uclibc 0.9.28 ver 4.4.11

PS3 connected via Wired 100Mbps LAN Swtich as DLNA renderer/player.

Samsung 32" LCD LAR32.

Yamaha YHT-185 Surround Sound Amplifier with Speakers/Subwoofers.
TwonkyMedia 4.4.11 on WestenDigital MyBook WE 1TB NAS Device

Post by AlterEgo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:11 am

Well,

Running Twonkyvision on my Western Digital MyBook World Edtion , 1 Terabyte NAS Device for one year now. Just upgraded to Twonkyvision for emedded NAS Linux ARM little endian uclibc 0.9.28 ver 4.4.11.

I have my PS3 connected via Wired 100Mbps LAN Swtich as DLNA renderer/player. There still are some minor glithces which are to be fixed by Twonky.

When streaming thru Twonky DLNA, ONLY AVI is the most compatible format for PS3. It is playable by every means. Support the scene search function to jump anywhere in the file (in case you left the movie in the middle and want to resume). Fast forward and rewind always work correctly. File information and running time is always shown. And if the file is copied to PS3 internal harddisk then it correctly supports the file specifications like Length,Codec,Bitrate,Resolution,Running Time and Location, some of these fields are not shown when file information is shown for a DLNA residing file.

However for all other types of files the PS3 can play, a lot of functions do not work correctly. Even if the file size is small 600~700MB or large 4GB ~ above . The file cannot be fast forwarded to all speeds. The file cannot be resumed for any point where you stop forwarding it. (It has to be stopped and replayed again to play from that point). The scene search function cannot find any scenes. Mainly because the file length is not shown correctly. It is always 99:99:99 . Thats why any time based seek functions cannot work. Not the mention if you are fond of switchable subtitles then they can only work with AVI files, which can incorporate DivX compliant XSUB subtitles. If any other file needs subtitles then they have to be 'burned' directly on the movies.

This happens for all other "step brother" formats for PS3 namely VOB, MP4, MPG, WMV, TS, M2T(s),

I know a lot of this is not related to TwonkyMedia, and on PS3 firmware capabilities, but still a lot of things can be improved for various file type handling by it.

Just wanted to know that has anyone experimented with all these file types and can guide me. Does the latest beta of Twokyvision addresses some of them. As far as I have read it is more focused on having compatibility to play much new formats like FLAC and OGG, which to be honest i have never come across so much even in my reasonably huge media collection.

Regards,
AlterEgo.

AlterEgo

Samsung 32" LCD LAR32.

Re: TwonkyMedia 4.4.11 on WestenDigital MyBook WE 1TB NAS Device

Post by AlterEgo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:24 pm

Ok...

Replying to myself. looks like no one here wants to share his/her insight :-)

People...waiting for your valuable contributions...

Thanks.

Kaisser74
AV Hardware:W.D. 1 Tera White Label + XBOX 360

Post by Kaisser74 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:12 am

Hello.

I am noob whit W.D. and with Twonky.

I have a W.D. MyBook White Light and I have a xbox 360.

If i can help you, ask me.

Bye

Kaisser74
AV Hardware:W.D. 1 Tera White Label + XBOX 360

Post by Kaisser74 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:57 am

Hello.

How can I upgrade the TM version ???

Thanks.

Keith
AV Hardware:Server: Western Digital My Book World Edition II (Twonky 4.4.9w)
Client: Samsung LE37B650 (DLNA 1.5)

Post by Keith » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:51 pm

Hello AlterEgo,
I bought the MyBook WE 1TB NAS Device with Twonky 4.4.9w some days ago.
I am currently facing the same problem that I cannot fast forward a video (and other stuff too). Don't ask me about the file type :roll:

Generally speaking: Is this a featues that has to be implemented in the DLNA client or DLNA server?

If it depends on the server, then which Twonky version does support this better then mine?

AlterEgo

Samsung 32" LCD LAR32.

Post by AlterEgo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:19 am

Hello Keith, (Any everyone else who has responded to the thread)

Well its is not a feature (as to the best of my knowledge) which has got something to do with the DLNA server implementation itself. It depends on what device you are using as a player (the DLNA media tenderer). In my case it is (Playstation 3) PS3 which is hooked up to my network via Linksys router. The MyBook World Edition 1TB NAS is also connected to the linksys router. The one I bought was without any preinstalled DLNA server. So i had to do it myself using a great deal of helpful guidance available on http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/ . I replaced rthe standard 500GB harddisk with a 1TB and then installed TwonkyMedia Little Endian ARM version to it.

However I am afraid I have to ask the question, what is the file type. Reason being that if you cannot fast forward the video using a PS3 as your player, then its more to do with the PS3 and its firmware. The PS3 firmware currently only is highly compatible with the media files encoded as AVIs and can offer all the functionality of forward/slow/rewind and etc. It can however play the media files with extension MP4, M2T, TS and MPG, but it cannot offer its whole capabilities to it very efficiently. The rewind/forward and other functionality do not work very well with all other file types as mentioned above. It does not/cannot play MKV files at all for the time being. So it again all boils down to the file type and its extension / encoding.

I have however tried using a PC based software DLNA server made specifically for PS3 , it can be seen here at http://p-s-3-m-e-d-i-a-s-e-r-v-e-r.blogspot.com/ which was better than the widely touted Tversity http://www.t-v-e-r-s-i-t-y.com. It can play all the filetypes including MKV as well. But it does it so via trans-coding, that it opening the file and then converting it to all playable and compatible formats on the fly while running. This way it can run a variety of formats. (PLEASE REMOVE THE DASHES "-" FROM THE URLS MENTIONED ABOVE TO VIEW)

Now keeping all this aside I have just bought and will have delivered a Network Media Tank device, which supposedly would play all formats easily with all features via any DLNA server. This is supposedly a good investment and a low cost version of the ever popular PopCorn Hour A-110. This surely would save me the power consumption since my primary player is PlayStation3 which consumes around 250W while as this device here http://egreathd.com/ would consume a lot less and is universally compatible with all DLNA servers and media file formats.

Alongside the intended answer I think I have shed enough thoughts on having the need and prerequisites of the DLNA server like Twonky Vision. :D

Thanks,