Database

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
teufel82
Database

Post by teufel82 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Hello,
i have the following configuration:
Twonky Media 5.055
NAS N5200 FW 2.00.14
Winxp
all Media (mp3, Video, pictures)
about 20.000
wired network

Problem: the server does not run 24/7;
Server starts and stops daily by time
every start of the server , the database will doubled, and also the
Cache Speicher increased and is now at 54790 KB
any ideas?
best regards
Frank

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Re: Database

Post by Briain » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi

This is interesting as that's maybe related to what happens on the ReadyNAS version if you perform a database rebuild (but not a restart rescan though). I assumed it was due to the ReadyNAS version being adapted (by an addon expert on the ReadyNAS forum) to move the installation from the OS partition onto the main partition, and a symbolic link being created to point to it. If you are getting this with the standard PV version, it looks like it might be a problem with the PV version from which the ReadyNAS version was developed. I wonder if it's generic to all Linux versions as it doesn't seem to happen in the PC version.

In my case, due to the ReadyNAS using 16k blocks, the database size on the hard drive (for 15000 FLAC files) is over 2.3G and doing a rebuild archives this and then recreates a new one. Each further rebuild archives the previous so it mounts up very quickly!

I wonder if the N5200 is doing something similar and that this is why the memory cacke usage is showing double the size? I'm just guessing here but it could be a possibility.

The only way I’ve managed to get it to work without using too much disk space is either to SSH into the NAS and delete the *old files, or even better, navigate to inside the default.view directory and delete everything before performing a database rebuild (that way, there’s nothing to archive).

Bri
Last edited by Briain on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

teufel82

Post by teufel82 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:29 am

Hi Bri,
not all understand (i'm german) , but the most. First i will post into the nas-forum, to the person, which have made the version for thecus.
maybe can he help.
otherwise i'll try your hints.
Sorry for my english.
Frank

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi Frank

Sorry, I've added some bits to make it less ambiguous. I’ve also re-read your post and I realise you are referring to the cache size (as visible in the server statistics) whereas I am referring to the database size on the hard drive. They could of course be related but without SSH access to your NAS and a wee bit of Linux knowledge, it’ll probably not be possible to tell (I don’t know much about the N5200).

Bri

teufel82

Post by teufel82 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi Bri,
i have the new version 5.0.61 installed, same problem. now i have mailed the problem to "twonky".
mfg
Frank

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi

When I do an initial database build, it reports the cache to be about 17000KB. If I restart the server, it goes down to 6500KB after it's finished the rescanning. I've tried this on a ReadyNAS NV+ and a ReadyNAS Duo. The big issue with myself is that you have to use SSH to delete the database before requesting a rebuild. If you didn't, it would end up archiving the previous one (and they're about 2.7GB for 15000 FLAC files).

Bri

teufel82

Post by teufel82 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi Bri,
the problem with the database is one, another is the information in "server status" about pics, musik and videos. These values are every restart of the server doubled.
The size of the database i'll watch for a week.
mfg
Frank

peterfu

Post by peterfu » Sat May 02, 2009 7:50 am

That issue on the Thecus N5200 and N7700 is solved now with the latest module release 2.00.16.2 which contains twonkymedia version 5.0.61.
The behaviour of double entries was caused due to not proper handling of the dbdir option in the ini file. Some of the database files are still written to the default location, which is /var/twonkymedia. The NAS now clears this folder upon reboot and therefore there was a mismatch of data (packet video is already looking at this issue in the linux version of the server).
The above mentioned module version now has included a work around for that issue, so You will not have double entries after a reboot.

br
Peter