MTS/M2TS to PS3 via Twonky

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
gadgetsikh
AV Hardware:QNAP TS109, PS3
MTS/M2TS to PS3 via Twonky

Post by gadgetsikh » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:35 pm

I have a wired network setup and am successfully accessing photos and SD videos in MPG format through the PS3. Will be buying a Hi-Def hard-disk (probably Sony) camcorder, would like to put the resultant files on the QNAP TS109 running Twonky and play on TV via PS3. I tried some sample files; they play fine when I put them on a SD card and insert into PS3. When I put the same files on the TS109, the PS3 shows unsupported media. I even tried renaming the files as MPG but made no difference.

Can anyone who is doing this successfully provide any guidance?

Twonky version 4.4.4 RC 1
QNAP firmware 1.1.5
PS3 version 2.1

Thanks.

calviny

Re: MTS/M2TS to PS3 via Twonky

Post by calviny » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:00 am

I have the same problem few months before. However, it's sad that there is no solution till now. Anyone help?

gadgetsikh
AV Hardware:QNAP TS109, PS3

Post by gadgetsikh » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:26 pm

Have now upgraded to latest Qnap firmware (2.0.1) and updated PS3 to ver 2.3, and the AVCHD files from my Canon HF10 seem to be displaying fine. Hope this helps others.

saggio
AV Hardware:PC Core2Duo E8400
PS3 - latest Firmware
TV 4.4.5

Post by saggio » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:03 pm

I also a difficult issue with MTS/M2TS files.
These files are AVCHD generated by a Canon HF100.
In a folder where there are, say, 50 such files, all not too big (about 1-2 mins each - approx. 50 to 200 MB each)
The PS3 via TV can see all the files but only a few are displayed with their correct title and actually play OK.
All others are shown as "Unsupported data".
But all the files are basically the same in nature, and they play OK on the PS3 if I put them on a USB Pen Drive.

TV 4.4.5
PS with latest Firmware
PS3 connected via Homeplugs to BT Home Hub

calviny

Post by calviny » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:42 am

Did you guys try to use tsremux and play successfully?

jzeiler
AV Hardware:PS3
ReadyNas NV

Post by jzeiler » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:54 am

I have the same Problem. The Files are playing from the USB Stick fine.
And they also playing fine with the build in Media server from my Ready Nas. Only with the Twonky the won't play.
Strange...

Regards
Jörg

gerho08
AV Hardware:- QNAP TS 109 pro II incl. twonky media server
- PS 3 (=Media player)

Post by gerho08 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:32 am

some months till the last post...i do have a similar problem: after updating the FW of QNAP TS 109 proII and the ps3 yesterday: .m2ts files could be streamed BUT...only if shown under "ALL FILES" on PS3...if i choose option "By DIRECTORY": 1. not all direcorties with .m2ts-files are shown 2. i cannot even open one single directory with -m2ts files...is there anybody out there woh could help? thanxx gerald

calviny

Post by calviny » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:57 am

Yes, after upgraded to FW 2.5 and I can play mts on PS3 streaming from TS-209. It seems it shows me directories contain mts but I'm not sure this is the full list. Do you know how to create a playlist to play files in a directory?

gerho08
- PS 3 (=Media player)

Post by gerho08 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:45 am

calviny wrote:Yes, after upgraded to FW 2.5 and I can play mts on PS3 streaming from TS-209. It seems it shows me directories contain mts but I'm not sure this is the full list. Do you know how to create a playlist to play files in a directory?
i m not sure, if i do understand your question: 1. no, i dont really know how to create playlists (beside the playlists in windows media player) 2. do u mean i should create a playlist for each diectory "STERAM"?

calviny

Post by calviny » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:19 am

You may try copying *.mts to a folder at the same level as AVCHD (not in the AVCHD folder). Then, you should be able to browse each folder and then select the mts to play.

gerho08
- PS 3 (=Media player)

Post by gerho08 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:12 am

@calviny: ...i m really looking forward testing this...thanxx for the advice anyhow!

gerald

gerho08
- PS 3 (=Media player)

Post by gerho08 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:59 am

@calviny: tried it yesterday: my tree structure (automatically generated by my panasonic camcorder):
e.g.
2008 10 20
DCIM
/MISC
/PRIVATE
//AVCHDL
///AVCHDTN
///BMDV
////BACKUP
////CLIPINI
////PLAYLIST
////STREAM

to try it i copied 4 clips (approx. 500 MB) from STREAM to AVCHDL (respectively on the same level as AVCHDTN)..it took over 5MIN!!..is this normal? this would be more than 6 hours only copytime for all the clips?...and the worst: it made no difference...

then i started the configuration menu of twonky: could my problem maybe solved with the VIDEO TREE Option? is there a manual how to use this? thanx for help...gerald

gerho08
- PS 3 (=Media player)

Post by gerho08 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:14 am

@calviny: yesterday i tried it once more to copy some clips to a higher level..and :oops: it worked..i must have done something wrong the first time...thanx a lot for the help!!

some questions remaining:
probably the problem is that the video tree has to many folders so the clips in the lowest folder cant be displayed..in my case the files are stored in STREAM, which is the 6.level!...yesterday i tried the option video tree "ABC", which means that some additional levels are generated..so after slecting "3" for ABC: the video tree was only displayed till AVCHDL (and the 3 ABC-levels)...do u think there is a correlation?

in order to reduce the levels and the extensive coppying-time i tried do download some new clips DIRECTLY from the digicam (panasonic hdc -sd5) to the QNAP..next problem: it is not possible! (target-directories on qnap cant be selected). does someone know by chance what to do to enable it or is it just not possible?

..but i think this is no twonky subject any longer....

gerho08
- PS 3 (=Media player)

Post by gerho08 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:20 am

ok again a strange thing: till now i used HD writer to download the avchd-files to PC and then to NAS...as calviny sorted the problem out: if files are copied on a higher level, they can be played...but as i am not happy with HD writer (file-structure, no possibility to rename files according to record date etc.) i now switched to Pinnacle Studio 11 (which i will use for editing too)...and here comes the problem again: if i download the files with P11, there are only .mts-files now (which is positive) BUT the PS3 wont show them?? is this becauase of twonky (which organizes the files on the NAS) or because of the ps3 that cant play .mts (with HD writer i get mpeg2 files)?..pls help i m totally confused!

3monts

Post by 3monts » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:55 am

hi all ... sorry for my english ... I'm french :-) !

I made a test of streaming M2TS file that are on a synology product where twonkey is installed, I stream the media to the PS3 with no problem but after 2 - 3 minutes I notice some jerky (not sure of the vocabulary sorry) images ... I assume that the reason of this jerk is that PS3 and synology are connected by wifi G ... but is it true ? Will it be the same experience if It was wifi N ??

thanks,
3monts

tobox
AV Hardware:Hifidelio Pro
Freecom Musicpal
Qnap TS 109 II
DreamBox 7020Si
Fritz!Box 7170

Post by tobox » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:56 pm

I have a Panasonic SD H5 and had exactly the same problems with streaming the m2ts-files as the other users in this thread. Moving the files to a higher directory helped a little bit, now I can browse into the directories and play the individual files. But since my camera creates a new file for each scene, this is not very user friendly, because I cannot skip and navigate in the files.

If I plug the SD-Card directly into the PS3, the whole card is detected as one media (blueray disc format?), and I can browse with the player by selecting titles and chapters.

Is it normal that the streamed directories are only recognized as individual files or is it possible to have the additional navigation features on the PS3 as well?

Regards
Thomas

partake06
AV Hardware:Hands video partners

Post by partake06 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:41 am

well, what you need to do is to convert the file to other formats acceptable to your device, and moyea video converter can convert among almost video and audio formats with ease and high fast conversion speed...

hope it helps!

wenling85
AV Hardware:Nokia AV hardware

Post by wenling85 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:52 am

Take a look at this guide on converting M2TS file. I found it really helpful for me to get started with M2TS file.

steamhead

Post by steamhead » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:50 pm

I've had a Panasonic HDC-SD9 for almost a year now, and when I was on Twonky 4.4 to get them to play on the PS3 via Twonky, I had to rename the files from *.mts to *.mpg and they then played perfectly on the PS3 (over hard wired lan). However having renamed then to mpg it caused problems playing on a PC (had to briefly rename them) but it was just a minor annoyance as the PS3 was my main player given my PC wasn't really up to the task ;-)

Since moving to TMS 5.0.68 I have been able to rename them all back to *.mts files and they now play fine by all routes.

The key thing here is that the files do not need transcoding as the PS3 CAN play them (as people using SD cards have seen). It was just that TMS 4.4 did not recognise the .mts extension as being a valid media type for a PS3 client, which is now fixed in 5.x. There may be some clever little tweak can be made in some client type config table for 4.4 that might be able to correct this, but as yet I don't think there is any documentation on that area publicly available, but in theory it shouldn't need much as 4.4 CAN stream an MTS file (albeit disguised as MPG), it's just a matter of it letting the PS3 see it in its native "dress code" so to speak.