Sony Bravia TVs and Twonky on NAS not working together

sverre
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia KDL-40W4500 (DLNA audio + photo)
Qnap TS-109 II with TwonkyMedia Server 4.4.9
Sony Bravia TVs and Twonky on NAS not working together

Post by sverre » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi,

It seems that TwonkyMedia Server is not compatible with DLNA compliant Sony Bravia TVs. If you check with Google there are plenty reports on this issue.

Photos are shown as expected, but it is not possible to play mp3 files. (Some report that it is not possible at all, while others report that they play only for a certain number of seconds before they stop with an error message on the TV saying "Playback not available").

Is there a plan to investigate or even fix the issue? If someone working on Twonky could say that Sony's products is misbehaving by not supporting a specific part of the protocol, then at least that would give us the possibility to go to Sony and tell them to fix the issue on their side. So far they are just replying that their products work fine in their tests (WMP11 as server I believe) and are DLNA certified, so it has to be the NAS/Twonky setup that's not compliant.

In other words, fingerpointing...

RichieRich
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia Server version 4.4.9w on Western Digital My Book World Edition 2 TB Network Attached Storage WDH1NC20000N

Client: Sony Bravia XBR KDL-52XBR6 52-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV

Re: Sony Bravia TVs and Twonky on NAS not working together

Post by RichieRich » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:37 pm

I have the same problem with a Western Digital NAS; 'My Book World Edition' and a new Sony Bravia TV. The NAS is running version TwonkyMedia Server version 4.4.9w. I received links to download the most recent versions of TwonkyMedia Server but I need to find step-by-step instructions on how to do it. Linux isn't my strong point. So after I download the newest version of TMS, I haven't a clue how to get it installed on the Western Digital NAS drive in the Linux OS.

Anyone know?

staun
AV Hardware:Playstation 3, Twonky Media 4.4.9 on powerful Debian server.

Post by staun » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:26 pm

There were some indications that changing the type of device under "Media Receivers" in the Config.
Some said from DLNA 1.0 or 1.5 to Generic Media Receiver, others have other suggestions. Anybody tried to experiment with thse?

Leen2112
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia WE5

Post by Leen2112 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:00 pm

I've got a bravia 'eco' WE5 and i can connect to Twonky on the pc for music and pictures with no problems, i just can't pick up video files at all.

mlvernal
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia 32W5500
ACER Aspire One
Western Digital NAS 1TB
Zyxel Router

Post by mlvernal » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:17 pm

Anyone figured this out? I just bought a Bravia 32W5500 and I'm experiencing the same prob. I have a Western Digital NAS harddrive using Twonkey - and playback stops on the tv after so-and-so number of seconds. My problem is concerning mp3's - haven't bothered with video playback yet.

It's driving me nuts. I've tried updating firmware all the way around, but nothing helps.

Also, using Twonkey Manager on my pc as an alternative doesn't help either. When installing a new Twonkey server on my pc, and moving files to it from the NAS, the Bravia TV won't find the new server.

Solution,anyone?

-mlvernal

fero
AV Hardware:Dlink NAS DNS-323
Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500

Post by fero » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:29 am

mlvernal wrote:Anyone figured this out? I just bought a Bravia 32W5500 and I'm experiencing the same prob. I have a Western Digital NAS harddrive using Twonkey - and playback stops on the tv after so-and-so number of seconds. My problem is concerning mp3's - haven't bothered with video playback yet.

It's driving me nuts. I've tried updating firmware all the way around, but nothing helps.

Also, using Twonkey Manager on my pc as an alternative doesn't help either. When installing a new Twonkey server on my pc, and moving files to it from the NAS, the Bravia TV won't find the new server.

Solution,anyone?

-mlvernal
No problem with playing mp3, browsing photos and also watching mpeg/m2ts videos - all is working fine with TMS 4.4.18 on my NAS and Sony Bravia 40w5500.

Fero.

mlvernal
ACER Aspire One
Western Digital NAS 1TB
Zyxel Router

Post by mlvernal » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:21 pm

fero wrote: No problem with playing mp3, browsing photos and also watching mpeg/m2ts videos - all is working fine with TMS 4.4.18 on my NAS and Sony Bravia 40w5500.

Fero.
Ok, can you help me then? My NAS (Western D.) is connected directly to my modem by cable. So is the laptop and the TV. The TV finds my NAS with no problem, but playback interrupts after x seconds. What config are u using? I've tried setting up Twonky on my NAS to use Packet Video with the Bravia, but nothing helps. Tried other progs. as well. Anyway, the rendering is done on the tv, right? So what good does this do anyway...

I'm really frustrated. :-) Hope you or someone else (hello Twonkey team??) can guide me.

Mlvernal

fero
AV Hardware:Dlink NAS DNS-323
Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500

Post by fero » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:28 pm

What TMS version your NAS comes with? This "mp3 stops playing after xx seconds on Siny Bravia problem" is a known bug is some older 4.4 releases. If you have older 4.4.x release I suggest to upgrade 4.4.17 or 4.4.18 - mp3 playback works ok on these (tested on both, currently I'm running the latest 4.4.18 on my NAS).

Fero.

mlvernal
ACER Aspire One
Western Digital NAS 1TB
Zyxel Router

Post by mlvernal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:39 am

fero wrote:What TMS version your NAS comes with? This "mp3 stops playing after xx seconds on Siny Bravia problem" is a known bug is some older 4.4 releases. If you have older 4.4.x release I suggest to upgrade 4.4.17 or 4.4.18 - mp3 playback works ok on these (tested on both, currently I'm running the latest 4.4.18 on my NAS).

Fero.
Thanks for the reply. I can't find where to update TMS on my NAS, only seems possible to update the NAS itself. And I've done that. And to add to the confusion, my TMS version is called 4.4.9w.

jez.cunningham
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia, WD MyBook World, Buffalo NAS

Post by jez.cunningham » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:21 am

I had the same problem with my Bravia 40W4500 tv and a Buffalo dlna NAS - after 42 seconds the music stops. I switched to a WD MyBookWorld :-(
However the tv streams music fine from a network pc running Windows Media Player 11.
So I would like to find out if it's a Sony issue? Is there a way to update Sony TV firmware?
Jez