License key problems

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
License key problems

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:07 pm

In the process of switching over to a new e-commerce provider this weekend, something happened to our license key validation server. This is causing all the key issues being reported today. We are aware of this problem and working on a solution right now. As soon as I have an update on this problem I will post it here.

We're truly sorry for this inconvenience.

- Rick
Last edited by mgillespie on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unsticky, licence server problems resolved.
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: License key problems

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:21 pm

I've been told this problem has been fixed and that restarting your server should fix things. Please let me know if this is not the case.

Once again, we're very sorry for this inconvenience and will do everything in our power to make sure this does not happen again.

- Rick

pidge22
AV Hardware:Linn akurate Ds

Post by pidge22 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:50 pm

I have tried restting my server but all I get is a message that says my trial is expired even though I paid for a full Licence in August and I am using the Licence key from that....

Paul

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:59 pm

Paul are you running TMS or TMM?

- If TMM, is it running on a NAS or PC?
- If PC, which version and OS.

Thanks.

- Rick

pidge22

Post by pidge22 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:02 pm

Rick,
I am running on my PC (Mac) os is OSX 10.5.8

pidge22

Post by pidge22 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:04 pm

Rick,
sorry I am using TMS....

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Thanks Paul. This helps a lot.

I'll pass on your info. You might want to try again a little bit later.

When I get new info on this, I'll post it here.

- Rick

pidge22

Post by pidge22 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Rick,
have just tried again and this time it has accepted the Licence Code...thanks

Paul

850t5
AV Hardware:NetGear ReadyNAS NV+, LINN Sneaky Music DS

Post by 850t5 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:26 pm

Rick,

Thanks for the info.
Restarting the server did fix the issue finally for me too. I was struggling with it for hours, restarting my NAS, Computer, Server etc. etc.
As already stated above:
This does rise the concern that we will see this repeating in the future. Every error comes back sooner or later until you fix the root cause, which is in this case obviously the fact that the remote system can disable TMS around the world.
What is been done to eliminate this risk for the future?

Thanks

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:37 pm

What is been done to eliminate this risk for the future?
Believe me, I'm asking the same question internally. THIS MUST NEVER OCCUR AGAIN.

I've got much better things to do on a Sunday than deal with this.

- Rick

dproff
AV Hardware:hp media connect box x280n
dell with 64 bit vista
linksys router
denon AVR 4306

Post by dproff » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:04 pm

It still does not work for me. Short of doing the disconnect router method, what sequence should work to stop and restart the manager? When do I enter the code? I need the steps.

Sorry - it seems to be working now.

DrVirvar
AV Hardware:Two servers version 4.3 on Linux, on two NSLU2 from Linksys, Unslung with 6.8 and 6.10, Lots of Noxon1 clients and a couple of PC's on XP. Only music, roughly 40.000 songs on each server (The reason for using two servers is that your SW stopped working when passing 50.000 songs!)

Post by DrVirvar » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:07 am

Hi Guys.

Just wanted to state that I restarted my servers with an internet connection,
and everything works fine again.
Thanks for fixing this quickly. :D

umgfoin
AV Hardware:Philips NP2900, NP2500, XBMC (OS X), Twonky 6.0.30, AVM Fritz!Box 7390

Post by umgfoin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:56 am

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:Believe me, I'm asking the same question internally[...]
Suggestion:
Remove any regular "call-home" code from twonkyserver and respect personal privacy of your customers as a sideeffect.
A (user initiated) one-time activation would be more than sufficient.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:38 pm

umgfoin wrote:
TMM_Product_Manager wrote:Believe me, I'm asking the same question internally[...]
Suggestion:
Remove any regular "call-home" code from twonkyserver and respect personal privacy of your customers as a sideeffect.
And open your software up to rampant Internet piracy? I like to pay for my software, and have no problems having it "phone home" so it thwarts those who just like to free load though life.. It's not an invasion of privacy because it's not sending any user identifiable information (perhaps PV can clarify this), all it sends is your network card ID and your serial number, to ensure you key is not used on more than 3 different PC's, which I think it rather generous personally.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

monkeyhands

Post by monkeyhands » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:49 pm

Nice to see the mods deleting my posts.

If you get upset when your punters voice their frustration, you should look to your practice, not just lock threads and delete posts.
Reality (n), Something that happens when you are not playing video games.

savage
AV Hardware:Buffalo Technology LinkStation HS-D300GL running TwonkyMedia 4.4.18 under Linux 2.6.25.17 to a PS3... love it!

Post by savage » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:54 pm

I'll keep it short...

Being fairly unfamiliar with Twonky I turned on my NAS and PS3 on Sunday to find no music, photos or films to stream. As stated previously, my licence had apparently expired. Trouble is, one day earlier I had started messing about trying to upgrade to version 4.4.18. Therefore I automatically thought I had caused the problem and unaware set about trying to uninstall and reinstall a newer version. To my wife's pleasure this took most of Sunday as I browsed for various posts of people previously having any problems upgrading. (At this point I found the post relating to licence expired problems! :evil: ) All I managed to do was completely wipe twonky. I tried telnet etc. etc. To cut a long story short. I eventually worked out the biggest problem was trying to install from a VISTA LAPTOP!!!!! :evil: Switched on the wife's old XP machine, followed a post on here and whammo... installed like a breeze! By the time I was back up and running at 20.30, the server must've been fixed! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x Thanks Twonky... you owe me one Sunday in return!!! I guess I'll know if it does happen in the future!
Note to Self: Do not use Vista Laptop when messing with Twonky in future!!

J.

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Again, we're truly sorry for the inconvience caused over the weekend. You deserve to be pissed. We are putting plans into place so this will never happen again.

We believe the changes made Sunday have people up and running again. If that is not the case, please let me know.

Although this thread has been locked, we will be more than happy to investigate any continuing license key issues if you simply send the key you're having problems with to me at tmm-beta@pv.com.

So far all of the users who have contacted us have been able to resolve their key issues by restarting their PC or device. Apparently the expired key message is being cached in some of the browsers, so make sure to refresh your browser window, before you report a problem. Thanks.

- Rick

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:17 pm

The license key issues has been resolved, PV have stated measures are being put inplace to ensure it does not happen again. Lets move on, rather than dwelling in the past :-)

Locking threads relating to last weekends license key problems. Future threads will also be locked and possible warnings handed out.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.