problems with 5.1

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
aggiemarine07
AV Hardware:PS3
WD MyBook 1TB
problems with 5.1

Post by aggiemarine07 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:30 pm

I recently upgraded the firmware on my WD MyBook 1TB network drive and it upgraded Twonky Media Server on it to 5.1 but there are alot of options that were there on the previous version (4.4.something; i dont exactly remember). For example, there is no place to edit options concerning internet radio stations, Flickr photos, or more advanced options on folders that I am sharing. Is 5.1 supposed to be this limited? or did WD purposely limited these options on my MyBook? Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
photo of my media server
Screenshot.png (145.13KiB)Viewed 10948 times

mairin
AV Hardware:x61 Thinkpad running Fedora 12; Western Digital MyBook World Edition White Light; PS3

Re: problems with 5.1

Post by mairin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:58 am

Hi Rick,

There's no media feed settings in the latest WD MyBook World Edition (white light) firmware update for Twonky. There's simply no place in the configuration UI to set up Flickr feeds. I was really excited when I heard about the feature in Twonky so I'm really disappointed that the update for the WD MBWE doesn't seem to have it. Do you know how I can enable it?

Here's a fuller screenshot to show that there's no menu items for the feature:

san
AV Hardware:WD My Worldbook (WhiteLight Edition)

Post by san » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi,
if you have basic unix knowledge you can try to reinstall manually the twonky software using ssl wd connection from pc via putty client:

if you have a whitelight edition you've to upgrade using maxtor mss2 version

if you are a unix base expert, the steps are

download the right version from the unsupported link thread that you can find in the forum here

http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/5.1/index.html

downlad this version http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/5.1/tw ... s2-5.1.zip

copy the zip file to the wd Public share directory using an ftp command or direct from pc to the public wd folder
then with putty client enter to wd in unix root (user:root pwd: welc0me and then >cd /) prompt and copy the file from /shares/Public to /twonky (cp -r /shares/Public/filetwonkyver.zip /twonky/)

Then backup is needed for the license so
copy the original /twonky/twonkymedia-server.ini file in the Public directory

then go in the /twonky dir and unzip the file and when prompted maintain release history appear type [A] option

then recopy from /shares/Public the media-server.ini with the license in /twonky

now stop and restart server from unix prompt with this two command line:

>/twonky/twonkymedia.sh stop

>/twonky/twonkymedia.sh start

finish

if not work you can use this metod to downgrade to 4.4.18 release or other old releases

mairin
AV Hardware:x61 Thinkpad running Fedora 12; Western Digital MyBook World Edition White Light; PS3

Post by mairin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:13 pm

According to Rich, though, WD didn't strip any functionality out. So I'd like to hear from him as to why the functionality is actually not there....

san

Post by san » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:47 pm

uhmm...probably some bug for the latest WD firmware...i'm not install it cause i've read that there are some bugs, confirmed
by wd (for exmaple the mionet services is not stoppable and consuming cpu and warms the nas).

In any case, i'll explain you the metod to reinstall the release, if you decide or need support contact me here, ok?
Sante

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:00 pm

I may have misspoke because what you are showing on the attached screenshot and what I see are different. Let me check with Berlin and get back to you.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:40 pm

I deleted my original post since it was not accurate and I don't want it to confuse anyone.

The reason media feed settings were removed from the WD version of TwonkyMedia server is because you need have a license key in order to have personalized media feeds and license keys are not provided to OEM customers like Western Digital. It's possible that we can figure out a way to allow non-personalized media feed support on a future release. I'll ask about that.

- Rick

san

Post by san » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:17 pm

HI Rick,
as you know I bought a license and i not use the lic enbedded in WD Mybook, so I can access (test 5,1,1 RC3) the media feed menu.
I have a question for you for new release 5.1.1:
why you don't implement the possibility to insert a personalized media feed? I'm in Italy, if i want to see or hear a 'local' national
station why can i not have the possibility to copy the url feeds link directly on twonky?
I think that this feature is very important for the users, can you give some feedback about this=
Many thanks
Sante

andrease
AV Hardware:WD MyBook World II (White Light) 2TB

Post by andrease » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi!
I have the WD MyBook World II (2tb) and before I
upgraded the new firmware the twonky worked great (even if it was kind of slow...)
on my SoundBridge M1001.
Now since I upgraded the firmware, i also got the Twonky version 5.1 and the
SoundBridge says that the server is not compatible!!
Now I wanted to downgrade the firmware but the answer from WD support is that
it is not possible!
I have to wait for another firmware and that could take months!!!
Any suggestions how I can change the twonky version back to the one I had before?!

Please advise...

/Andreas
-Sweden-

aggiemarine07
WD MyBook 1TB

Post by aggiemarine07 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Sorry I have not been ale to reply to my original thread, I am in the military and I was in the field for the last 4 days.

To Rick (TMM_Product_Manager)-
When I look at the Server Status screen in the Twonky Media Server it says that the server is registered (I have attached as screenshot1). Is that not the same as a license key? How is it different? I was to my understanding that when I purchased this drive it came with a license for Twonky and the key is on the drive. (If you can tell me how to fetch it from the twonkymedia-server.ini file then I will be more than willing to do that).

To san-

If for whatever reason I mess up somewhere in that process will I lose access to all the info on my drive? or will i simply lose the twonky media server and have to attempt to install/downgrade again? Thanks.

Again I apologize for not getting back to yall soon enough. Thanks for all your input.
Attachments
serverstatus.png
screenshot1
serverstatus.png (137.21KiB)Viewed 10786 times

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:42 pm

When I look at the Server Status screen in the Twonky Media Server it says that the server is registered (I have attached as screenshot1). Is that not the same as a license key? How is it different?
There is a difference and unfortunately I don't know of a way around this.

I'll make it clear to our management that you'd like to see this feature added back in the future. Keep in mind the product roadmaps are decided a long way out, so I would not expect to see anything happen on this in the near future.

- Rick

aggiemarine07
WD MyBook 1TB

Post by aggiemarine07 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:32 am

Yes I would like to see features, such as that, added.

I think another good feature to add would be to allow Twonky to display folders with non-media content (i.e. PS3 folder with all my PS3 files like themes and such). Currently, it does not display any of these folders when I try to browse them on my PS3. Do you think that is a possibility?

If I think of anything else, I will definitely let you know! I like the simplicity and functionality that yall have built into WD drives is outstanding. Thanks for all your help.

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:30 am

I think you're not understanding the functionality of a server. The PS3 is a client, while Twonky is a server. The server has no line-of-sight as to what files are on the client.
What you're trying to do is not possible.

san

Post by san » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:54 am

Hi aggiemarine
------------
To san-

If for whatever reason I mess up somewhere in that process will I lose access to all the info on my drive? or will i simply lose the twonky media server and have to attempt to install/downgrade again? Thanks.
------------
You will loose nothing in terms of access to the wd disk and operativity, to stay secure at 100% i suggest to you, before to
try the process, to backup all the entire directory /twonky in the Public folder of wd. If something go bad you have to delete the new up or downgraded version installation and restore the backup simply.

So first of all copy the dir

> mkdir /shares/Public/twonkybackup
>cp -r /twonky /shares/Public/twonkybackup

and then go to upgrade, if nothing go well, restore simply

> rm -r /twonky
>cp -r /shares/Public/twonkybackup /
>mv /twonkybackup /twonky

Sante

andrease
AV Hardware:WD MyBook World II (White Light) 2TB

Post by andrease » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:24 pm