Transcoding not available

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
davidmgray
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia KDL-40W5810
HP Presario PC running Twonky Media server
Netgear EVA700
Transcoding not available

Post by davidmgray » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi all,

A few quick newbie questions:

Transcoding is not available for video & music. Do I need to use a third party product such as
ffmpeg or VLC as some of the posts seem to suggest.

On the TV I can browse to the video folders which contain AVI files but then they can't be played. Do
AVI videos not simply just play.

The Twonky server is running on Vista - Yes I know! ;-)

Thanks in advance
Dave
Attachments
twonky.jpg
twonky.jpg (59.45KiB)Viewed 7198 times

xorzizten
AV Hardware:Old PIII 600Mhz intel with gb network card running ubuntu and twonkymedia server 5
xbox 360

Re: Transcoding not available

Post by xorzizten » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:51 pm

You need to have ffmpeg or some other program with conversion functions.

Then you need to setup the location to the program you are going to use in the <program>.location file, which you'll find in the cgi-bin directory.
Take it that you have ffmpeg installed.. Open the ffmpeg.location file and edit so it'll point to the location where you installed ffmpeg.. Only the directory path to where the ffmpeg.exe are :)

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:36 pm

To clarify, there are 2 transcoding systems in TMS5.1

Background Transcoding
Occurs when the system is idle, it will convert files in the background, this is what the transcoding webpage is all about

On-Demand Transcoding
Transcodes when a file type is not supported by a client that requests it, this is what the.desc files are used for.

That's my understanding of it anyway. I certainly got the on-demand transcoding working for me, to convert FLAC to PCM on demand to send to the PS3.. (nice lossless streaming setup).
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

davidmgray
Netgear EVA700

Post by davidmgray » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:56 pm

xorzizten wrote:You need to have ffmpeg or some other program with conversion functions.

Then you need to setup the location to the program you are going to use in the <program>.location file, which you'll find in the cgi-bin directory.
Take it that you have ffmpeg installed.. Open the ffmpeg.location file and edit so it'll point to the location where you installed ffmpeg.. Only the directory path to where the ffmpeg.exe are :)
Ah thanks, I get it. Right so cgi-bin contains a load of files which are pointers to various apps used ny Twonky.

Right so next question is ffmpeg or VLC or both?

davidmgray
Netgear EVA700

Post by davidmgray » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:03 pm

mgillespie wrote:To clarify, there are 2 transcoding systems in TMS5.1

Background Transcoding
Occurs when the system is idle, it will convert files in the background, this is what the transcoding webpage is all about

On-Demand Transcoding
Transcodes when a file type is not supported by a client that requests it, this is what the.desc files are used for.

That's my understanding of it anyway. I certainly got the on-demand transcoding working for me, to convert FLAC to PCM on demand to send to the PS3.. (nice lossless streaming setup).
Thanks for the info. Did you manage to to get on demand working for .avi & .mkv?

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:31 pm

davidmgray wrote:
mgillespie wrote:To clarify, there are 2 transcoding systems in TMS5.1

Background Transcoding

On-Demand Transcoding

Thanks for the info. Did you manage to to get on demand working for .avi & .mkv?
I don't transcode video for 2 reasons.

1) it will stress my little server too much
2) seems a pointless excercise, as the 2nd transcoded copy takes up discspace (due to caching), may as well convert it offline to the right format, or better still rip it in the right format in the first place.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

ThyMaster

Post by ThyMaster » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 pm

For all Linux buffs:
The .location files won't work for Linux systems.
Instead just create symlinks of the needed programs (like ffmpeg or any2mp3) into the cgi-bin directory. Voilà all transcoding options are available after a restart!
BTW, I have two questions on the .desc files settings:
1. Does anyone know what the difference between "asynchronous" and "synchronous" is?
2 .Does anyone know other parameter settings for priority than idle (like normal or high)?

TIA
ThyMaster

ThyMaster

Post by ThyMaster » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 pm

mgillespie wrote:I don't transcode video for 2 reasons.

1) it will stress my little server too much
2) seems a pointless excercise, as the 2nd transcoded copy takes up discspace (due to caching), may as well convert it offline to the right format, or better still rip it in the right format in the first place.
For 1) I understand.
For 2) I only agree on videos. But for music that's another story. I'd like to store my most beloved music rather in a lossless format (FLAC) than in any lossy format (MP3 et al) or in WAV.
Reason: Apart from quality (lossy) it boasts ID-tags (WAV doesn't). So for lossless music I still would use transcoding (into WAV) and rather have a script cleaning up the cache directory if it grows too big (on my server even a 15 min FLAC song takes only 3-4 secs to be converted into WAV!)

Just my 2 cents
ThyMaster