Why won't Twonky scan network drives?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
probedb
AV Hardware:PS3
Why won't Twonky scan network drives?

Post by probedb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Hi folks,

Just installed Twonky 5.1.2 on Win 7 and my video is on a network drive but Twonky refuses to scan it.

Any ideas why?

Cheers.
Paul.

probedb

Re: Why won't Twonky scan network drives?

Post by probedb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:05 pm

The log shows:

Code: Select all

01/11/10 21:06:13:567 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location for V:
01/11/10 21:06:13:567 upnp_database_watch_dir V:\ is not fixed drive, time based scan will be used for location V:
01/11/10 21:06:13:567 LOG_SYSTEM:upnp_file_open_write file open write error "V:\temp.tms"
01/11/10 21:06:13:567 upnp_database_watch_dir thread terminated V:
I have access to write to the drive and can do so manually.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Paul.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:09 am

I don't know specifically why it does not work, but it's a REALLY bad idea to serve media up across a network, where the source lives on a network, it's killing the bandwidth stressing the NIC and you may have problems with duplexing.

If your media is on another server, ideally you should install Twonkyserver there instead.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

probedb

Post by probedb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:11 am

mgillespie wrote:I don't know specifically why it does not work, but it's a REALLY bad idea to serve media up across a network, where the source lives on a network, it's killing the bandwidth stressing the NIC and you may have problems with duplexing.

If your media is on another server, ideally you should install Twonkyserver there instead.
That is as maybe but it should still scan it.

Incidentally, I came across this after having problems with the linux version (which is on the same box as the media). The linux one kept bombing out whilst my WD TV Live was browsing. Discovered it wasn't killing itself when I told it to stop!

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:29 am

probedb wrote:
Incidentally, I came across this after having problems with the linux version (which is on the same box as the media). The linux one kept bombing out whilst my WD TV Live was browsing. Discovered it wasn't killing itself when I told it to stop!
The linux init script relies on the killall command, which some distros don't have. I had this problem too. I had to install a killall (in Ubuntu/Debian it's apt-get install psmisc)
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

probedb

Post by probedb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:35 am

mgillespie wrote:
probedb wrote:
The linux init script relies on the killall command, which some distros don't have. I had this problem too. I had to install a killall (in Ubuntu/Debian it's apt-get install psmisc)
Already installed :) I think it must just have been an oddity as to why it was doing it. Initially resetting the list of media devices would sort it but as of this evening even that had stopped working!

I guess I'll see what happens when I turn it on tomorrow :)

Thanks again!