Maximum number of files supported ?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
quick
AV Hardware:Archos IT
Maximum number of files supported ?

Post by quick » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm currently evaluating TwonkyMedia Server and thusfar it's far more better for the setup I want than TVersity.

Streaming over WLAN (Wifi) is much more stable compared to TVersity.

One showstopper is see sofar is that not all the music files (mp3) as scanned.

I have over 150000 mp3 files. The first few times it kept on processing.
After reading a bit, I made sure it the option for scanning was set to manual.

Next day I looked and it was much further then it ever got.
But now there seems to be a limit.
I'm not able to scan more then 128xxx music files.
Is there a magic maximum : 2 * 65535 perhaps ?

Regards,

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Maximum number of files supported ?

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:49 pm

There is no magic number. If you're running TwonkyMedia on a NAS, then it depends on which version of TMS you're using and the amount of available memory your PC or NAS has. If you're running on a Mac or PC with a lot of memory, there appear to be no practical limit. I know someone who uses TwonkyMedia server with over 1,000,000 photos and many of our users have more than 100,000 songs.

Things do slow down with extremely large media libraries, but we're constantly improving our performance with large libraries and will continue to do so.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

quick

Post by quick » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:24 pm

Thx Rick.

quick

Post by quick » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Meanwhile I've discovered the problem.
Processing certain mp3 files hangs the scanning.

Once I moved these files out of the library it finished completely
and I could see all my files (except the ones that error'd out) :lol:

So far so good and registered for a key....

spicers
AV Hardware:TMS 4.4.19
SiteCom NAS MD253 1TB RAID01

Post by spicers » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:27 pm

how did you scan for those mp3 files? I have about 100GB and scanning all mp3's makes it a bit difficult...:-) how did you find the "corrupted" mp3 files? did those include any special characters?

how are you able to see the files that errored out?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Although I don't know how "Quick" identified his corrupted MP3 files. I use free software called "MP3 Checker" and it seems to work pretty well.

- Rick

spicers
AV Hardware:TMS 4.4.19
SiteCom NAS MD253 1TB RAID01

Post by spicers » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:29 am

Ok thanks Rick appreciate your comment. currently scanning the files....as I am fairly new to the twonky magic, I wonder If there are any references on how long a DB needs to build to complete the collection of music/photos/videos. of course I understand this is depending on the amount of data. But I can not verify if the DB is still building or is ready? I was missing music files and my pictures where not added at all.... although I thought so. Now after 2 days the DB is ready and music and photo's have been added to the DB. :D

I currently have a Sitecom NAS MD253 - 1TB Raid1 and TMS 4.4.19

str3tch
AV Hardware:Server: Dual Xeon 3.6Ghz + 8GB RAM + 2x640GB @ RAID 1 + 6x1TB @ RAID 5 + 3x760W PSU running Centos x86_64
Client: Xbox360

Post by str3tch » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 am

The the web interface shows all 2000+ artists, but my artist list is cutting off at H when viewing from my Xbox360 (around #984). When I switch over to fuppes, I'm able to see three times as many songs as I see with Twonky. I have Twonky running on my Linux fileserver which has dual Xeon processors, 8GB of RAM, 5TB of storage space, and Centos x86_64, so I don't think it has anything to do with the memory situation mentioned above. Has anyone tested how well Twonky works with RedHat-based linux with SELinux and iptables enabled? I know I had to make some changes to get samba working correctly. All of my media is currently organized through iTunes via a samba share to my Windows desktop, so I don't know if the iTunes directory structure could be an issue either.

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 am

spicers wrote: I wonder If there are any references on how long a DB needs to build to complete the collection of music/photos/videos. of course I understand this is depending on the amount of data. But I can not verify if the DB is still building or is ready?
Scanning time depends mostly on the size of your media library and the speed of your device. Other factors like corrupted files can obviously impact the time as you've discovered. The best way to check if the file scanner has finished is to check the Server Status page and see if there is a time next to Last database change. Otherwise, you'll see what file is being scanned.

- Rick

grsmith
AV Hardware:XBox 360
DLink 311

Post by grsmith » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:59 pm

[quote="str3tch"]The the web interface shows all 2000+ artists, but my artist list is cutting off at H when viewing from my Xbox360 (around #984). When I switch over to fuppes, I'm able to see three times as many songs as I see with Twonky. I have Twonky running on my Linux fileserver which has dual Xeon processors, 8GB of RAM, 5TB of storage space, and Centos x86_64, so I don't think it has anything to do with the memory situation mentioned above. Has anyone tested how well Twonky works with RedHat-based linux with SELinux and iptables enabled? I know I had to make some changes to get samba working correctly. All of my media is currently organized through iTunes via a samba share to my Windows desktop, so I don't know if the iTunes directory structure could be an issue either.[/quote]

I don't see an answer to this. I have the same problem. The server shows over 5K of the genre Rock, but only lists 310 on the XBox. I've tried restarting the server and waiting for it to complete the scan. I've tried restarting the XBox. I've tried selecting another server on the XBox and going back to Twonky. None of these work. This is a basic function that should work.

jtrevill
AV Hardware:Dlink DNS-343
Dlink DGS-2208 Gigabit Router
XBox 360
Windows SBS

Post by jtrevill » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:05 am

Take a look in the XBOX forum. This is already listed as a problem. I've been told by support that they are researching it. Its always the first 300 or so that are listed alphabetically. So if you look at different genres, it will be the first 300 or so songs for the genre as well....

grsmith
AV Hardware:XBox 360
DLink 311

Post by grsmith » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:46 pm

[quote="jtrevill"]Take a look in the XBOX forum. This is already listed as a problem. I've been told by support that they are researching it. Its always the first 300 or so that are listed alphabetically. So if you look at different genres, it will be the first 300 or so songs for the genre as well....[/quote]
Could be an XBox problem in the long run, but the media connect server with WMP 11 works fine. It's probably a timing problem with communication. Again could be XBox, but Twonky could probably work around it if it is.

BrunoB
AV Hardware:Laptop as server and USB 1TB drive to store music & video

Post by BrunoB » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:08 pm

Hello,

it seems I am also running in some kind of limitations with the Twonky Media Server as it keeps crashing all the time.
I installed the TMS on my old laptop to use it as a NAS with a 1TB USB HDD storing my music files >250 GB.
But the server keeps on crashing after indexing a few thousand files and restarts to just crash again.
What do I need to do to find out what is casing the server to crash ?
- could it be the number of files it is supposed to indes ?
- I also read the post on currupted files, but am not sure how to check whether any of the files are corrupted.
Also, the server doesnt always crash at the same point. It seems random.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated !
Bruno