NTFS under linux

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
jpiersanti
AV Hardware:none yet
NTFS under linux

Post by jpiersanti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:07 am

Hi everybody, I'm new on the forum and I would like to ask something relating to sharing media...

I have many partition on my PC and I have all the media on an NTFS partition mounted and visible fro ubuntu... the media server works fine but unfortunatelly I'm not able to share the media on those foders... Is there any way to make it??

Regards

JG.

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Re: NTFS under linux

Post by DaemonBeetle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:34 pm

Have you added the path to Twonky? Does the Twonky user have access to those files (I'm guessing not)?

jpiersanti

Post by jpiersanti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:49 pm

Hello, thanks for the reply... yes I've added the directory under that partition to the sever. And also I noticed that the daemon runs as root... the only thing I can tell for sure is that root owns the partition and also that root doesn't have shell assigned.

What else?? Oh yes, the partition was mounted at the time ubuntu was installed so it's mounted automatically each time the computer starts... the partition has umask 007...

Regards.

JG.

jpiersanti

Post by jpiersanti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:57 pm

Another thing (to see if you can help me)... actually any folder shared by the (non root) user can be seen through the server... but being root the owner of the partition (it has been like that automatically since the creation of the partition) I suppose you're almost right (is a permission issue), nevertheless... the mortal user can read, write and execute on the partition (chmod 777)...

Any clue?

JG

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:07 am

NTFS is a different beast from other filesystems - can you, as root, read the files in that partition?

I'd suggest that unless you have a burning need to keep it as NTFS you copy the media off and reformat the partition to either FAT32 (if you need to access it from Windows too) or EXT (if you don't).

jpiersanti

Post by jpiersanti » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:31 am

Tahnk you 4 the reply... I've just solved the issue... I don't know why but, creating a symbolic link with my user to the folder on NTFS partition the server is able to see and share them (specifying the link instead of the real folder...) ... ¿?¿?...

Thanks for the support...

JG.