No video on Bravia

janusz
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia
No video on Bravia

Post by janusz » Thu May 14, 2009 10:16 am

Hi
Twonky server 5.0.61 for Linux shows on my Bravia as a provider for pictures and music but not for videos. TMS doesn't show on the list of servers on Video tab in Bravia's menu.
Is this a limitation of the trial version of TMS?

Cheers,
Janusz

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: No video on Bravia

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue May 19, 2009 10:52 pm

It's not a limitation of the trial version of TMS. It's technically possible that they are filtering the video tree out, but I don't have access to a Bravia TV to confirm this.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

TimCook
AV Hardware:KDL-40W5500

Post by TimCook » Wed May 20, 2009 2:27 pm

janusz wrote:Hi
Twonky server 5.0.61 for Linux shows on my Bravia as a provider for pictures and music but not for videos. TMS doesn't show on the list of servers on Video tab in Bravia's menu.
Is this a limitation of the trial version of TMS?
I have the same situation with the trial version of Twonky Server 5.0.61 for Win XP.
TMM_Product_Manager wrote:It's not a limitation of the trial version of TMS. It's technically possible that they are filtering the video tree out, but I don't have access to a Bravia TV to confirm this.
Rick, can you suggest how I could test whether my Bravia is filtering out the video tree?

Best regards, Tim

janusz
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia

Post by janusz » Mon May 25, 2009 5:35 pm

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:It's not a limitation of the trial version of TMS. It's technically possible that they are filtering the video tree out, but I don't have access to a Bravia TV to confirm this.
I have tried other DLNA clients, for linux and windows. Bravia could see them as video providers and I was able to play MPEG-2 video files.
Feel free to ask if there's anything I can do to help with debugging.

Janusz

Andrew
AV Hardware:Bravia KDL-40W5500
Western Digital My Book World Edition

Post by Andrew » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:33 pm

I have this issue with Twonkly 4.4.9 on a Western Digital MyBook WE NAS and I am unable to stream MP3's for more than 50 seconds before they cut out and the TV throws up an error. I spoke to Sony and they said it was due to my network not having "Packet Streaming" which is what the Bravia expects. I have no idea what this means but if anyone wants to explain or it helps anyone fix the issue and they can let me know the solution I'd greatly appreciate it.

circuitBeta
AV Hardware:Sony XBR9, PSP3

Post by circuitBeta » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:44 pm

Any progress on this thread? I am seeing the same problem ....

aqxx

Post by aqxx » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 am

Try to change your Twonky Media Receivers configuration to 'Generic DLNA 1.0'. This might help for your Bravia.

ahuga
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia 40W5710
Kathrein UFS-822
MacBook
TMS 5.1.2 on Ubuntu Server 9.10

Post by ahuga » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:34 pm

aqxx wrote:Try to change your Twonky Media Receivers configuration to 'Generic DLNA 1.0'. This might help for your Bravia.
Hi,

I'm facing the same Problem but your hint still won't help it working. But I described already in this thread

cya
ahuga

sinr0909
AV Hardware:sony

Post by sinr0909 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:50 pm

anyone find the solution, i have the same problem.

i have bravia xbr9, and mybookworld with TMS 5.1. pictures and mp3 no problem. videos files cannot even show up.

fedsix
AV Hardware:ps3
sony bravia xbr9 LCD with DLNA
Windows 7 with Twonkymedia latest version
wired network

Post by fedsix » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm having the same problem with my new Sony Bravia XBR9. It sees photos and music, but not the videos. In my troubleshooting I've discovered:

-Ps3 will see the Twonky Media server and play all my video files
-The Bravia over DLNA will see the media server and won't play most of the video files, excpet mpeg2.
-Sony Bravia appears to be limited to playing only mpeg2 encoded videos.
-Tried with multiple Media Centers with no luck except for Wild Media Server (WMS). Like Twonky Media, by default it wouldn't play non mpeg-2 videos, but, it does offer a nice feature called transcoding. Without getting too techinical, from what I can tell it simply converts the video source into a compatible format the Bravia player can understand, and it does it on the fly. Once it's properly configured, all the end user has to do is simply select the video via the Transcoding folder, as opposed to the regular folder on the media share (hopefully this makes more sense when you actually see it). Other than that, the only configuration I had to do on the WMS configuration was to configure the media resource as "Sony TV NTSC (DLNA 16:9, 720x406 with DLNA 1.5). You can play around with the other settings too, but this one the main one I needed to set to allow the my Bravia to actually see the vidoes shared through WMS.

Anyway, back to Twonky. Essentially, it appears we're dealing with two limitations here; first, Sony Bravia doens't support all the latest and greatest video formats yet, so you need to ensure the videos are converted to mpeg-2. Obviously, you don't want to convert you're entire video library, and instead, you want something that can convert them on the fly, which brings us to the second limitation; Twonky Media doesn't appear to offer an easy way of transcoding files. This is what I'm working on now. If I can figure out how to use Twonky to transcode files on the fly as needed for the Bravia, then I'll be good to go. :) (and hopefully Sony will get their act together and release a firmware upgrade that will allow the Sony Bravia to play better video codecs).

Thanks,

Joe

fedsix
AV Hardware:ps3
sony bravia xbr9 LCD with DLNA
Windows 7 with Twonkymedia latest version
wired network

Post by fedsix » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:16 pm

I got a response from Twonky Support today. In order to enable transcoding you have to install ffmpeg yourself and then configure Twonky to use it. I've already done the configuration and I'll test it tonight to see if it works. Below is the response from Twonky:

Begin Quote:

Steps for video transcoding are as follows:
· Install “ffmpeg” on your system.
. Go to C:\Program Files\TwonkyMedia\cgi-bin, open ffmpeg.location file
and specify the path of FFMPEG.save the changes.
· Restart TMS.
· Checkboxes for video transcoding should no longer be greyed and user should
be able to put a tick mark in the boxes.
· Go to Sharing
· Share a directory containing videos of different formats say, mov, avi, wmv
etc.
· Go to Transcoding.
· Enable “Transcode videos to: options
· Click on Save Changes.
· Click on Restart Server.
· Go to Media receivers.
· Select the client device say PS3
· Wait for 5 minutes
· Go to PS3 interface with HDTV and check the videos.
· Check the formats shown – whether transcoded.

End Quote.

ZenCocoon
AV Hardware:MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS, Linksys WRT54GL, Sony Bravia 37HX500, 3x Sony Bravia 40EX700, 2x Sony Bravia 46EX700 (soon), Drobo FS, XBox360, Cisco Switch Gigabits (soon), Cabled House with cat6 cables, WiFi connection for mobile and laptops.

Post by ZenCocoon » Sun May 09, 2010 12:57 pm

Using Twonky Media Server MacOSX 6 beta 605 and a Sony Bravia KDL-37EX500, I'm still trying to see all my videos.

I've installed ffmpeg and could enable the mpeg2 transcoding, therefore I can only see one type of videos, visible before enabling the transcoding as well, VOB, directly coming from a DVD saved on my hard drive.

All other files can't be seen in the TV video navigation tree.

Any clue how to get this fixed? Seems like many Bravia owners feels the same frustration and think a nice walk through would be really appreciated from all of us.

Looking forward to hear any tips or recommendations,
If I can do some testing on my side, please do not hesitate to let me know, I'll be pleased to help,
--
Warm regards,
Sébastien Grosjean - ZenCocoon

pipTheGeek
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia TV
TwonkyServer on Windows Server 2003 R2

Post by pipTheGeek » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:35 pm

I also have a Sony Bravia TV and am attempting to get streaming of video working. I have had it working with Wild Media Server, but I'm not convinced about spending money on it so I thought I would give Twonky a try.
It works for streaming pictures, and for mp3 format audio. So I have two problems, first is that I can't seem to make any transcoding work, neither on-the-fly, nor background. Any chance of some information about how to configure on-the-fly transcoding in Twonky? Also, I have a single mpeg video file and I have tried converting one of wmv's to mpeg and neither of them show up on the TV. Has anyone got any suggestions?

jhernandez86
AV Hardware:Lacie Mini HD

Post by jhernandez86 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:35 pm

how do you install ffmpeg on a mac