Server Keeps expiring after buying a key

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
ttremeth
AV Hardware:custom whs build
Server Keeps expiring after buying a key

Post by ttremeth » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:17 am

I build a brand new WHS using my own hardware and a purchased licence.
I bought twonky media server licence myself.
Now it keeps expiring even though I enter the key I bought from Twonky. (I have the receipt email from Twonky- I am using my own licence bought a few days back)
I have to uninstall, reinstall and enter the key in the web based config page -

"5.1.2
Cache memory: 7631 KB
Last database change: 13:11:33
Music tracks: 3667
Photos: 12218
Videos: 936

License information: The Server is registered.
Registration key: XXXXX (valid key bought here)
Server uptime: 0 days, 0:03:03 hours
Server built date: Dec 17 2009 "

Server was not built back then but just now from scratch using a new Windows home server build and licence from MS and brand new licence from Twonky! Help!!!! It keeps stopping and saying it is expired.
Last edited by ttremeth on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ttremeth

Re: Server Keeps expiring after buying a key

Post by ttremeth » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:11 am

May someone from Townky please help

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:41 pm

ttremeth wrote:May someone from Townky please help
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3763

ttremeth

Post by ttremeth » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:27 am

Yes, two previous contact attempts. ignored. You pay for this product and it does not work! No one has a suggestion at least? On that post it says that engineers frequent here. I purchased something that fails to work even though it was a fresh install on a fresh WHS install and I typed the key in before the trial ended of which it gave a me a few days by the way.My ini file even shows the valid key supplied by twonky. Note, after a reboot it works for a while then expires again. A reinstall works and it accepts the key and says it is registered, then it expires. The uninstall removes the local profile and install directory.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm wondering if it's because you used to have a product with Twonky embedded in your network.

Do you have anything in your router that "fakes" MAC address requests?

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:27 pm

The server build date is the build date of Twonky, not your own server.

Check that your date and time are correct.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi,

I work for the company that makes TwonkyMedia server. Send an e-mail to me at tmm-beta@pv.com that contains the e-mail you used to purchase your key and I will make sure you get help in the next 24 hours. Thanks.

- Rick

ttremeth

Post by ttremeth » Sat May 29, 2010 1:33 am

Still an issue. Just went back to this post, as I have been restarting it but this is a pain and database has to rebuild. Now it lost my shares. Am am in Desktop support for a large IT company so please don't ask if i checked the config and basic stuff. Of course I did!
Last edited by ttremeth on Mon May 31, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ttremeth

Post by ttremeth » Mon May 31, 2010 1:15 am

Rick is emailing me so hopefully we can just get a new key because this product is giving me significant issues lately with it -

1. Not listing all folders.
2. Not streaming mpeg video without stopping however it plays perfect via cable lan. (it needs to go wireless for the most part so hence the purpose of Twonky)

When I posted about Twonky on other forums, the answers were, "Twonky is your issue" It seems it may be a very poor product because these mpegs are from a DVD. The thing it the idea is fantastic but its execution is poor as Mediasmart users know. (me being and ex user)

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Mon May 31, 2010 1:29 pm

ttremeth wrote: 2. Not streaming mpeg video without stopping however it plays perfect via cable lan. (it needs to go wireless for the most part so hence the purpose of Twonky)
Streaming video via wireless is always going to be a dodgy business, as the bandwidth and fluctuations, even with the buffering that Twonky and your client do, means it's VERY likely to stutter.

You really need wired (or perhaps homeplugs) to get the speed and connection stability that streaming video needs.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Mon May 31, 2010 7:31 pm

mgillespie wrote: Streaming video via wireless is always going to be a dodgy business, as the bandwidth and fluctuations, even with the buffering that Twonky and your client do, means it's VERY likely to stutter.

You really need wired (or perhaps homeplugs) to get the speed and connection stability that streaming video needs.
I'm using HomePlug AV (189 Mb/s max for the carrier, about 60 Mb/s to 80 Mb/s usable bandwidth) with great success to stream even HD (1080p60) media without problems (and with sufficient spare bandwidth to play online games over the same link at the same time, and stream music). I couldn't reliably stream video alone over HomePlug Turbo (85 Mb/s max for the carrier, about 20 Mb/s usable bandwidth - much the same as 802.11g's usable bandwidth).

In theory 802.11n should, with a good signal, be suitable for streaming video given that it can push up to 600 Mb/s (carrier).
No longer running Twonky

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Mon May 31, 2010 8:46 pm

There is a few apps that will show the peak and average throughputs between 2 PC's on home networks, even 802.11n fluctuates to an extent I wouldn't expect fault-free video streaming (even SD).
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

ttremeth

Post by ttremeth » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:08 am

I do appreciate you replies. The reason true streaming existing is because of limited bandwidth. Reading a file share via a LAN is not the reason to bother with Townky. That is why Twonky is taking our cash. I have not heard back from them yet either. This issue has been going on for many months.