New Twonky Web site

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
New Twonky Web site

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:48 am

We are in the process of replacing the old TwonkyMedia.com Website with an entirely new site. The URL for the new Website will be http://www.Twonky.com -- although all of the old URLs should continue to work.

We've tried to to make the new site easier to use and easier to find things. On the new site TwonkyServer will have it's own section as well.

For the next few days, the new site is sure to have a few problems. Those will be fixed soon. If you have any questions or comments, please let us know.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

IceCoolDesi
AV Hardware:HP MediaSmart Server EX470
Samsung TV (B650)

Re: New Twonky Web site

Post by IceCoolDesi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:02 am

Rick,nice site. Looks really nice. I noticed 2 issues on http://www.twonky.com/products/twonkyse ... dates.aspx page:
  • Listed version is 6 but the link is for 5.1.3 version.
  • There is no mention of WHS file/link.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Looking good. What will be the policy regarding NAS style device support? The old site used to mention them briefly and provide a link.

I only ask because the builds for 6.0 final are up, with no sign of a kirkwood build for my Sheevaplug..
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

zuz242
AV Hardware:Twonky Server on Windows Home Server
Intel SS4200 / FS Scaleo

Post by zuz242 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:19 pm

yup, nice site.
i guess we have to wait a little for links to (unsupported?) tms6 whs-install files. hopefully not to long :?

one thing i find misguiding is the graph next to the product overview. it does not enlighten me a bit.
is the "laptop" the server? why not a pc, server or nas (or something more generic)?

so, im looking forward to twonky (v6 on whs)!

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:51 am

mgillespie wrote:Looking good. What will be the policy regarding NAS style device support? The old site used to mention them briefly and provide a link.

I only ask because the builds for 6.0 final are up, with no sign of a kirkwood build for my Sheevaplug..
We'll be posting the links to all of the NAS builds like before. Our support policy on NAS builds is the same as it's been in the past. In a nutshell that is:

- We post these links as a service to our highly technical users. We cannot help you if you encounter trouble installing these. It's not that we don't want to, it's just impossible to do this remotely.

- Although support for factory installed TwonkyServer on NAS devices is handled by the manufacturer who made your NAS, I'm will be happy to help collect any bug reports for TwonkyMedia Server versions that came factory presinstalled on NAS devices.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:56 am

zuz242 wrote:yup, nice site.
i guess we have to wait a little for links to (unsupported?) tms6 whs-install files. hopefully not to long :?

one thing i find misguiding is the graph next to the product overview. it does not enlighten me a bit.
is the "laptop" the server? why not a pc, server or nas (or something more generic)?

so, im looking forward to twonky (v6 on whs)!
We've decided to move away from dedicated TwonkyServer builds for WHS starting with TwonkyServer 6.0. In a few days we'll be posting detailed instructions telling all of you how to install the regular version of TwonkyServer on your NAS. Of course, we'll continue to support HP on their MediaSmart servers as we have in the past.

Although this might be a disappointment for some, I think you'll find the normal versions of TwonkyServer to much more stable and better performing -- because they get a lot more testing. You'll also find that bugs are fixed much more quickly on these releases. I will be happy to collect any WHS requests of problems with TwonkyServer 6.0.

- Rick

warrenbbs
AV Hardware:Acer Easystore AH340
Samsung UN46B7100

Post by warrenbbs » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:23 pm

TMM_Product_Manager wrote: We've decided to move away from dedicated TwonkyServer builds for WHS starting with TwonkyServer 6.0. In a few days we'll be posting detailed instructions telling all of you how to install the regular version of TwonkyServer on your NAS. Of course, we'll continue to support HP on their MediaSmart servers as we have in the past.

Although this might be a disapointment for some, I think you'll find the normal versions of TwonkyServer to much more stable and better performing -- because they get a lot more testing. You'll also find that bugs are fixed much more quickly on these releases. I will be happy to collect any WHS requests of problems with TwonkyServer 6.0.

- Rick
So as TMS is no longer going to be a WHS component, is it worth upgrading to TMM? I've not used the Manager before, just the Server. And if I did this (or just upgraded to TMS 6) would I need to move my media files?

Thanks

fulbrich
AV Hardware:HP MediaSmart ex470

Post by fulbrich » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:38 pm

warrenbbs wrote:
TMM_Product_Manager wrote: We've decided to move away from dedicated TwonkyServer builds for WHS starting with TwonkyServer 6.0. In a few days we'll be posting detailed instructions telling all of you how to install the regular version of TwonkyServer on your NAS. Of course, we'll continue to support HP on their MediaSmart servers as we have in the past.
- Rick
Hi Rick,
I am an owner of an HP MediaSmart Server. Will an update of Twonky WHS for HP distributed by HP soon ?
I asked them 1 month ago and the answer was that they don't support Twonky Server. I should adress this question of software versions and bugs to Twonky directly.

Best regards,
Frank

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:32 pm

fulbrich wrote: I am an owner of an HP MediaSmart Server. Will an update of Twonky WHS for HP distributed by HP soon ?
I asked them 1 month ago and the answer was that they don't support Twonky Server. I should adress this question of software versions and bugs to Twonky directly.
We provided HP with an update for TwonkyMedia server that fixed most of the issues being reported today back in December of 2009. I do not know if or when they plan to deploy that release to the field.

At this point we do not plan to provide them with a special version of TwonkyServer 6.0 for WHS. As mentioned before we will provide clear instructions how anyone can install the normal Windows version of TM6 onto any device running WHS.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:36 pm

warrenbbs wrote:
So as TMS is no longer going to be a WHS component, is it worth upgrading to TMM? I've not used the Manager before, just the Server. And if I did this (or just upgraded to TMS 6) would I need to move my media files?

Thanks
TwonkyManager has not been tested with the Windows Home Server OS. I'd recommend sticking with TwonkyServer -- unless you're running Windows XP, Vista or 7.

- Rick

wakkas
AV Hardware:EX470

Post by wakkas » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:37 am

I have installed Twonky 6 on my WHS (HP media smart EX470)

the installation went fine. i followed the document published on site. but i dont see any twonky add-in for Windows home server console, so there is no way to configure it from the WHS console.. is there a place where i can download the add-in?

will all features from HP media smart server console work like "Media converter"?

zuz242
AV Hardware:Twonky Server on Windows Home Server
Intel SS4200 / FS Scaleo

Post by zuz242 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:08 am

this tends to turn off topic ("New .. Web site"), but as long there is no official WHS topic ... ;)

there will be no special ( =with whs console addin) tms6 version!
so one has to use the regular win version and install it according to the still to be published tutorial.
i followed the document published on site.
where? did i miss something?

So, im looking forward to install tms6 on my whs.

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:33 pm

You can find the directions how to install TwonkyServer 6.0 on a Windows Home Server here:
http://www.twonky.com/upfiles/Install%2 ... ver-EN.pdf

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:13 am

Newer instructions are now available below. It's important that you uninstall your old add-in first.

- Rick
Attachments
How to Install TwonkyServer on Windows HomeServer.pdf
(752.2KiB)Downloaded 873 times

sal
AV Hardware:HP MediaSmart Server

Post by sal » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:10 am

[quote="TMM_Product_Manager"]Newer instructions are now available below. It's important that you uninstall your old add-in first.

- Rick[/quote]

Hi Rick,
Just thought I'd share this with the group.

I recently upgraded my HP MediaSmart EX475 to v. 3.0 software. Even though it came with an updated TwonkyServer Plug-in (version 5.X), I decided I wanted the flexibility to continuously download and install the latest changes that you guys make to TwonkyMedia Server. I realize that I lose the advantage of having Twonky available in the WHS console window, but I don't consider this an issue since it can easily be accessed remotely from a brower, or by using RDP.

I purchased and downloaded a copy of TwonkyMedia Server 6.0. I also downloaded the installation instructions from the link in your message. (Revision 0.4, Date 06.17.2010.) These current instructions have a new section on how to remove an earlier WHS add-in, but this does not apply to the v. 3.0 MediaSmart update: you will not see a PVConnect add-in in the console window after selecting "Add-ins" as described in Section 2, Step 3 of the installation guide.

Here's how I uninstalled TwonkyMedia from the MediaSmart.
1. Using the WHS console, select TwonkyMedia, and delete the "Music", "Photos" and "Video" entries.
2. Go to the receivers tab and delete all receivers.
3. Close the console window.
4. Use RDP and log in to the the MediaSmart as administrator.
5. Go to the Control Panel and select "Add or Remove Programs".
6. Select TwonkyMedia Server and uninstall.
7. Restart the HP MediaSmart.

I then followed the instructions in the installation guide to install TwonkyMedia Server 6.0, modified the media directories (as described in the manual), forced a rebuild of the database, and all is working as expected. As updates to TwonkyMedia Server become available, I be able to download, install, and get the latest fixes and enhancements.

-Steve