Upgrading TMS on a 1TB WD MBWE White

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
cavinghippy
AV Hardware:Western Digital My Book NAS Server
Upgrading TMS on a 1TB WD MBWE White

Post by cavinghippy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:37 pm

HI. Can anyone tell me if it's possible and if so how to upgrade the 5.1 edition of TMS that is preinstalled on my NAS drive.

I have a streaming app on my I Phone (ML PLayer Lite) that doesn't recognise the server and their forums say you need to upgrade to 5.2.

Thanks for the help in anticipation

TonyM
AV Hardware:NSLU2 Unslung
Roku M1000
Linksys WMLS11B
Netgear MP101

Re: Upgrading TMS on a 1TB WD MBWE White

Post by TonyM » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:20 pm

I'd like to know this too.

I bought the MBWE to replace my Unslung Slug which is running Twonky Ver 4.3. I thought I'd upgrade my Twonky, have a less "hands on" NAS to run it on and upgrade the hard disk all at the same time.

Unfortunately the MBWE comes with Twonky 5.1 which, due to a bug, is not recognised by my three Soundbridges :shock:

WD do not seem interested in rushing out a new firmware release to include a Twonky update.

I think installing a new version of Twonky on the MBWE should be quite straightforward but you would need to buy the Twonky license as you would not be able to use the built-in WD corporate license for an upgrade.

Some advice would be very welcome.

academicbarzo
AV Hardware:Western Digital MY Book 1 TB (NAS); Yamaha RX-V2065 DNLA network AV receiver; BTHome Hub 2.0 Wireless N ASDL modem router, Netgear Gigabit 8 Switch; Powerline Adapters x 2; Acer PC, Macbook Unibody Laptop, PS3, X-Box 360, Wii, Toshiba 46SV605 DNLA LED-LCD TV

Post by academicbarzo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:56 pm

For me also. I have the same problem with a Yamaha RX-V2065 DNLA network AV receiver and v.5.1 in the WD My World. I can also confirm, sadly, that WD is is no hurry to provide an update. I'm having to look elsewhere for a NAS drive, as this is unacceptable.

hobbo
AV Hardware:WD MBWE 1TB whitelight w/ twonky 5.1
belkin N wireless router
sony bdp-s370 w/ uwa-100 N wireless adapter

Post by hobbo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:52 pm

me too.
Sony BDP-S370 will only see xvid files over wireless DLNA regardless of media receiver type setting. Painful to have to recode all video to xvid.
Apparently all media types work perfectly with Wild Media Server. I wish I was conversant enough with linux and SSH'ing into WD MBWE to ditch twonky in favour of Wild.