Workaround to get MKVs to play on Samsung Blu-ray players

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
Workaround to get MKVs to play on Samsung Blu-ray players

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:11 pm

Here is a possible workaround to get MKVs to play on Samsung Blu-ray players. I would expect this probably works with Samsung TVs as well. This post comes from a user named 'samperio' from the Xstreamer forum: http://forum.xtreamer.net/viewtopic.php ... 8&p=122269

He reports that renaming MKV files as .avi works after editing the client.db file as shown below. He is using TS to stream mkv files from etrayz to his Samsung BD-C8200 Blu-ray player.

He edits the Generic DLNA 1.5 device profile so it appears as follows. Make sure to make a copy of the client.db file before editing however, so you can go back if you need to.

NA:Generic DLNA 1.5
HH:DLNADOC/1.50
HP:chunked
XM:DLNA10
XM:DATETIME
DB:AUTO
DL:MP4DLNA
MT:mkv video/MP4V-ES
MT:avi,divx video/x-divx
MT:mp4 video/MP4V-ES
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts,m2ts video/mpeg
MT:ogg audio/x-ogg
MT:flac audio/flac
MT:mp1,mp2,mp3 audio/mpeg
MT:mp3 audio/mp3

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

zei20t
AV Hardware:WHS + Twonky Server, Samsung UA40C6900, Samsung HT-C5500

Re: Workaround to get MKVs to play on Samsung Blu-ray players

Post by zei20t » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:37 pm

thanks for posting that!

however, I couldnt get it to work.

The newly renamed AVI is no longer in the list as per normal. And when i press play on an MKV, it actually starts playing, but all i hear is some audio that is VERY broken up. then it fails with 'incorrect file format'

Im about to try it on my TV now and ill post back here.

EDIT: tv doesnt see the renamed MKV to AVI. and also doesnt play the MKV.

my bluray did a firmware update today that was released 2 days ago, but doesnt show up on the samsung website.

I should mention that im using TS 6.0.1-RC3