Looking for a NAS with Twonky Preinstalled to stream to PS3

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
workshy_1
AV Hardware:Sonos ZP90, Sonos ZP120x2, Sonos S5, PS3, XBox360, Wii, Buffalo Terastation Pro
Looking for a NAS with Twonky Preinstalled to stream to PS3

Post by workshy_1 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi all

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I couldn't find anything current...

I am looking for a NAS (pref with raid 1 or 5) with at least 1TB of available free space (post raid) that runs twonky out of the box (am tired of reinstalling Twonky when I reboot my terastation every so often) and would prefer something smaller and quieter and wife-friendly!

Thanks in advance

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Looking for a NAS with Twonky Preinstalled to stream to PS3

Post by mgillespie » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:48 am

I had a Linksys Mediahub

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/support/NMH410/

and it worked well with my PS3. I sold it on however, not because there was anything wrong with it per-se, but because I didn't like the locked down environment of it, if I wanted a always on low-power NAS, then I wanted to control what it did and what other services were running on it.

I bought a Sheevaplug and a WesternDigital MyBookMirror , which does exactly the same, plus it mirrors my media (for security), and runs un-locked down Linux, so I can still run TwonkyMedia (the version I choose, not the version Cisco choose), plus whatever I want on there too. (it does www/mail/bt and a whole host of other services...)

It depends on your level of expertise, a Sheevaplug (or Guruplug it's newer counterpart) combined with a USB HDD (or a mirrored USB HDD) would be a better bet. It's pretty simple to setup, it comes with a basic version of Debian, and installing Twonky on it is just a case of logging on via a terminal and typing a few commands.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

LtPidgeon
AV Hardware:QNAP TS 209 Pro II, Linn Majik DS, iPod Touch with Konductor, Sony PS3, XBox 360

Post by LtPidgeon » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:47 pm

I would bear in mind that there is an issue with the PS3's streaming capability when dealing with 1080p HD content. 720p and DVDs ripped to VOB work fine, but this issue is caused by one of the fairly recent firmware updates to the PS3.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:05 pm

LtPidgeon wrote:I would bear in mind that there is an issue with the PS3's streaming capability when dealing with 1080p HD content. 720p and DVDs ripped to VOB work fine, but this issue is caused by one of the fairly recent firmware updates to the PS3.
Working fine here, I don't think it's the PS3 side of things.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

LtPidgeon
AV Hardware:QNAP TS 209 Pro II, Linn Majik DS, iPod Touch with Konductor, Sony PS3, XBox 360

Post by LtPidgeon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:26 pm

[quote="mgillespie"]Working fine here, I don't think it's the PS3 side of things.[/quote]

That's interesting. Are you using a wired or POE homeplug connection? Also, what ps3 fw are you using? Is it the old fat or new slim type?

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:20 pm

It's a slim with the latest firmware.

I have some D-Link homeplugs but I don't get more than about 20yards on my home wiring before they start dropping out. My PS3 and Server are connected via 100Mbit ethernet via a Netgear DG834N router.

LtPidgeon

Post by LtPidgeon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:34 am

mgillespie wrote:It's a slim with the latest firmware.

I have some D-Link homeplugs but I don't get more than about 20yards on my home wiring before they start dropping out. My PS3 and Server are connected via 100Mbit ethernet via a Netgear DG834N router.
How do you recode your 1080p mkv files?

I can stream 1080p wmv files to my 360 no problem, but my ps3 stutters with 1080p content recoded using mkv2vob. It used to work perfectly, but started this stuttering a few months ago. At the time I had a Netgear DG834 router, but I have since changed this to a Linksys WRT610N gigabit unit. This is connected by Devolo 200AV homeplugs downstairs to another Netgear gigabit switch, and then from this into my PS3, 360 and Linn Majik DS.

It does play 1080p content if stored on a locally attached USB drive.

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:52 pm

I would recommend you spend your money on one of the new Intel Atom based QNap devices... You won't be disappointed.

LtPidgeon

Post by LtPidgeon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:37 pm

edrikk wrote:I would recommend you spend your money on one of the new Intel Atom based QNap devices... You won't be disappointed.
My 209 used to stream 1080 content without issue, so it's not the QNAP unit.

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:05 am

LtPidgeon wrote:
edrikk wrote:I would recommend you spend your money on one of the new Intel Atom based QNap devices... You won't be disappointed.
My 209 used to stream 1080 content without issue, so it's not the QNAP unit.

What the heck are you talking about? The question was which NAS with preinstalled Twonky would be recommended. I suggested QNap, of which 209 is one model (and which I also have, and which yes, streams 1080p). I also recommended Atom based, as they are newer models, getting more support. :roll:

Btw, even a linksys router can "stream 1080p"... Unless you're doing on the fly conversion, even your iPhone can probably stream 1080p.. It's just bits of data.