Movies are not working !

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
alpking
AV Hardware:Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz (Mac OS 10.6.4)
Sony Bravia KDL-40EX701
TwonkyServer 6.0
Movies are not working !

Post by alpking » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi to all,

I've recently buy TwonkyServer 6.0 and installed it without any problem. For info, I've got a Macbook Pro with Mac OS 10.6.4 installed and a TV Sony Bravia KDL-40EX701.

On my TV, pictures and music work perfectly. However, movies do not work : when I navigate through the folders, it always says that the folder is empty.

The weird thing is that it works from my mac when I use the media browser : I can access the movies and the play them on the browser.

First, I thought that the file formats of my movies were not supported by the TV (mostly avi and mp4), but then I put a file on a usb stick and tried directly through a USB port on my TV and it worked ! So it must be something else...

Any clue why movies do not appear on my TV ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mgerosa
AV Hardware:Mac MInI, Windows PC, TV-Set Philps 37pfl7605h

Re: Movies are not working !

Post by mgerosa » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:02 pm

I had the same bad experience:
I have a Mac Mini and a Philips TV set 37pfl7605h
I downloaded and installed the Twonky server for mac and then I can now play any song and any picture stored on my Mac Mini, but no way to get a video playing on my TV set!
The video file list appears on my TV browser, but if I try to play it does not work.

Please note that the same files are also stored on my Windows PC.
I can play those video file correctly using the sharing capability of Windows Media Player.
Then i thought it was a mac-related issue, but it turned out it is not!

I downloaded the Twonky Manager for windows PC and I installed it on my PC, then I used it to share media files to my TVset: same results: ok for music an pictures, but no way to play a video...
the same file on the same PC was played correctly by my TVset when shared through Windows media player!!!

What did I do wrong?

MentorNeto
AV Hardware:iMac
Bravia

Post by MentorNeto » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Same thing here.
Bravia + iMac = no movies
even after a rescan showing 16 movies.

yelnats
AV Hardware:iMac - Sony Bravia TV KDL-40HX703

Post by yelnats » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:42 am

I had the same problem. I think you will find that it's the file format causing the problem, the setup you have will only play MPEG-2 files. Try this link...http://support.sony-europe.com/tutorial ... DL-40HX703

mgerosa
AV Hardware:Mac MInI, Windows PC, TV-Set Philps 37pfl7605h

Post by mgerosa » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:30 pm

The issue is NOT related to the file format!!!

If I share a video file from my PC to my TV set, using Twonky, the file cannot be played on the TVset
if I share the same file by means of the DLNA capabilities of Windows Media Player, it perfectly works on my TVset
I say again same video file, same PC, same TVset:
- Twonky does NOT work,
- Windows media player works

I expect some contribution to the discussion from Twonky tech support:
is anybody out there?

vgerwen
AV Hardware:Philips 37pfl7605
Windows Homes server running Twonky Server 6

Post by vgerwen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:04 pm

I have a Philips TV 37pfl7605. I'm running the latest Twonky server6.0.1 on my Windows Home Server I encounter no problems in viewing movies. The TV set plays both avi and mkv files (1080p). is it only related to Mac platforms?

Did you upgrade the TV firmware with the latest version (31-8-2010?)

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:55 am

mgerosa wrote:The issue is NOT related to the file format!!!

If I share a video file from my PC to my TV set, using Twonky, the file cannot be played on the TVset
if I share the same file by means of the DLNA capabilities of Windows Media Player, it perfectly works on my TVset
I say again same video file, same PC, same TVset:
- Twonky does NOT work,
- Windows media player works

I expect some contribution to the discussion from Twonky tech support:
is anybody out there?
Twonky support here. I find that people are more likely to help me, when I don't yell at them. Just some friendly advice.

In this case the problem is indeed file format-related. I believe the reason WMP 'works' and Twonky doesn't is because WMP is transcoding your files automatically and Twonky doesn't. Of course, you can set Twonky to also transcode if desired.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

yelnats

Post by yelnats » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks Rick for your support, Only problem is transcoding in Twonkey is greyed out, any suggestions? I'm using an Intel iMac most of my movies are for Apple TV .m4v format - can convert to .mp4 or .mov but the don't work - Just mpeg-2 works but that means I have to purchase software and a long proccess to convert.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:28 pm

As you probably have seen, there are posts here that describe how to setup transcoding on a PC, but I'm not sure how to do it on a Mac.

I'll ask and post the response here when I get it. There are probably other server experts here on the forum, that have an answer to this as well.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Good news! FFmpeg runs on Mac as well.

Here is a primer on transcoding. Although it was written for PC, you should be able to adapt this to the Mac.
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 714#p22749

There's some other good info on transcoding here:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=126443

- Rick

yelnats

Post by yelnats » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks I really appreciate the trouble you have taken thanks again. :D

twynne
AV Hardware:Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 2ghz, Samsung UE40B7020 LED TV (DLNA client)

Post by twynne » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but something has definitely changed in recent builds of Twonky. Using an old 4.4.x build yesterdday, AVI files streamed fine from my Mac. Today I purchased and installed the latest and AVI no longer plays at all. Either Twonky has the device type set incorrectly so it believes these files aren't supported, or there's some kind of codec issue.

Is there some way you can look at this?

Thanks,

Tom