HP MediaSmart issues

Other OS or NAS discussions
Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
HP MediaSmart issues

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:31 pm

Some users here have reported problems with high CPU utilization and their HP MediaSmart servers . We believe that all TwonkyServer-related issues that may have contributed to high CPU usage have been fixed. Before December, we delivered an update to HP that contained several fixes (TMS 5.1.2). Unfortunately there is a delay between the time we turn updates to HP and the time they deploy them to the field. We're trying to contact HP to get more information about when they plan to release this, but so far have not heard back from them.

Please note:
There may still be other “Media Collector” or Media Converter-related CPU issues that are outside of our control because we did not create those apps for HP.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

fulbrich
AV Hardware:HP MediaSmart ex470

Re: HP MediaSmart issues

Post by fulbrich » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:44 pm

It would be great, if HP MediaSmart User may have the chance to use TMS 6, without destroying the MediaSmart software bundle.
I am a little bit afraid to install TMS 6 on my HP WHS Server (I own a key for version 5) because I don't know if all the HP software features of the HP isntalaltion will continue working.
Hopefully HP may release an update for TMS 6

Best regards,
Frank

Neff

Post by Neff » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:09 pm

I too would like to use Twonky Server 6 on my new MediaSmart ex490.

I did have a go at installing it as I'm going to rebuild the server anyway when my new discs arrive and it seemed to work... sort of..

I couldn't get it to run as a service the HP version seemed to stay as the service, but I could run it manually and it appeared to serve my photos OK. So I'm thinking if you know what you're doing it MIGHT be possible to disable the built in HP version and run the latest - but I don't know how one would go about that.

fulbrich

Post by fulbrich » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:48 pm

Hi Neff,

I am really no sure if HP media streaming webpages will continue work. The best think would be , if HPs and Twonkys FLASH streaming pages would coexist. The problem is, that I don't have a test system for this. So I have to think about it how to backup my curent installation and how to integrate Twonky 6. The other difficulty is, that HP integrated its own media file transformation feature for streaming videos to iphones.....
I think I need a good backup before I start testing....

fulbrich

Post by fulbrich » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:51 pm

I did it.
I deinstalled Twonky 5 coming with "HP ex470 V3" and installed Twonky Media Server 6.0.1 on my box.
I will start testing soon .... I now that the HP MediaStreaming feature over the internet doesn't work anymore.
The flash player reports that the MediaServer is not running.

I continue ...

Neff

Post by Neff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Interesting to see you're still working on it. I'm sticking with the stock system at the moment and I'm disappointed HP haven't released any updates yet.