Media Scanning Issues on Windows Home Server

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
adhingra
AV Hardware:Windows Home Server
WD TV Live
Media Scanning Issues on Windows Home Server

Post by adhingra » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi

I just installed the trial version of Twonky Media Server v6.0.1 on my WHS. The installation was a breeze and I was able to configure eberything in mins and everythings runs great. I am considering buying the license for this but then I ran into an issue.

It seems like the server is not automatically scanning the content directories. I first noticed this when i edited one playlist from Windows Media Player and save it back to the same location (within the content folders), then when I browse the media the new songs added to the playlist were not listed. My rescan time is set to -1 so it should be automatic.

I am a software developer and I have done a fair degree of assessment on this before writing this comment:

a) I tried coping a new mp3 to some location within the content folder but the rescan does not automatically start

b) When i check the Server Status page from the settings it does not show the "Last Database Time Changing". This time should change if the database is affected because of a rescan. Even the Music Tracks count does not change while I have added a new song.

c) I even enabled the logs and it shows that the server is contantly rescanning but not picking up anything

d) I even tried deleting the playlist but it did not go away from the playlists. All these points to that I do not have the issue specifically with playlists but with the general rescan.

e) The when I go to the Maintenance Page and restart the server it updates the playlists.

f) I have also changed the scan time from -1 to 1 min to see if it picks up the changes and it DOES NOT.

d) However if I restart the server everytime I make a change (whether editing the playlists or adding/deleting media) then it works. But this is not a practical solution.

All this seems to be too trivial a bug to be missed out in product testing. Please advise what I am not doing right.

Thx
Ashoo

Thingdeux
AV Hardware:Twonky Installed on Ubuntu Server 10 - Streams files from a D-Link DNS-323 NAS

Re: Media Scanning Issues on Windows Home Server

Post by Thingdeux » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:07 pm

I have the EXACT same issue on my installation though it's on Ubuntu Server 10.
I typically have to manually rescan the content directories in order for it to pickup new media. Tried setting the rescan time to 5 mins. 10 mins - Doesn't seem to matter. The last scanned updates but the files aren't available for streaming unless I manually rescan.

By chance are you streaming media from a separate device that's not on the same box Twonky is on?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:36 pm

Sounds like you guys may have found a bug. I'll forward your comments to our engineers. I thought I read something about this being fixed with the 6.0.23 version of the server, but I could be wrong. I'll let you know if that is the case.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Thingdeux
AV Hardware:Twonky Installed on Ubuntu Server 10 - Streams files from a D-Link DNS-323 NAS

Post by Thingdeux » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:57 am

Thanks Rick,

Here's my setup if it'll help:

TwonkyMedia version: 6.0.1

Server hardware:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
RAM: 1GB DDR2
Mobo: Zotac MCP7A ION
HDD: Western Digital 300gb 7200 RPM (EXT3 Fs)
Operating System: Ubuntu Server 10.04.1 LTS

How many files you have in your database:
Music Tracks: 11,913
Photos: 156
Videos: 2041

Network type: Wired CAT5E (All devices with the exception of the game systems connect with CAT5e)

Other items on your network:

Devices on Main Router: Netgear WNR3500v2 Gigabit Router
(firmware: V1.0.2.14_24.0.74NA) - DHCP/UPNP enabled/Wireless
NAS: D-Link DNS 323 Firmware 1.0.9 (2 1TB Hard Drives EXT2 Filesystem)
Twonky Server (See above for specs)
Main PC (Windows 7 Box - will provide specs if needed)
Video Game systems (In use intermittently): PS3/Xbox 360 (Connecting wirelessly)

Devices on Gateway Router:Linksys WRT54g (Acts as a hub only passes traffic, all router features turned off)
EEE Box B202
Sprint Airrave (Provides voip services for Sprint)

The server has both drives of the NAS mounted. All media is stored on the NAS.

Other services/Daemons running on the server:
Subsonic Music Streamer (Problem existed before subsonic was present)

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:32 pm

I talked to our lead developer about this and he is not aware of a problem in this area. He would like both of you to send us log files, so we can see what is going on.

In case you haven't created a log file before, I've included instructions below. I doubt either of you will need them however.

How to create a log file

1. Open your browser and go to the server settings page. This is done by typing the following into the address bar of your web browser: http://localhost:9000/config
2. Click on the "Maintenance" link
3. Check the "Logging" check box.
4. Press "Save Changes"
5. Press "Clear Logs" (To purge any old data)
6. Press "Restart Server"
7. Now do whatever caused the problem you are reporting.
8. Now go back to the server settings page and click on the "Maintenance" link again.
9. Then click on the “View log file” button.
10. A webpage will appear in your browser. Save the webpage as a .txt file.
11. Zip up the saved .txt file and send it to: tmm-beta@pv.com along with a description of your problem.
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Thingdeux

Post by Thingdeux » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks Rick,

I'll have them to you with some extended testing by the end of the day :) - appreciate your assistance!

Update: Sent

rookie8155
AV Hardware:dns0323, ps3

Post by rookie8155 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:23 pm

I installed latest version on my DSN-323 last week. I also set rescan option to -1 and found out that rescan is not working. It does not update newly added files. So looks lie this issue has not been resolved yet.

ianmacd
AV Hardware:Sonos
MythTV
PS3

Post by ianmacd » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am

I have the product running on Linux, not Windows, but the issue is the same.

With 6.0.28, automatic reindexing (the -1 option) is not taking place.

Racerx
AV Hardware:Twonkyserver; PS3, Roku Sondbridge,

Post by Racerx » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:01 am

could "The server has both drives of the NAS mounted. All media is stored on the NAS." cause the problem.

Just wondering, because i have a windows setup where i am trying to get my media scanned on a network share, that doesn't work. I can write the driveletter (Z:\ (\\vboxsvr\share)) and path into the content location but i can't browse the drive with the Browse button.

Media i stored on a local drive is processed correctly. try it with a local path.

thread i started http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8744