Video playlists

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Georg
AV Hardware:Server: Linkstation Pro (production) with Twonky 6.0.1 +
Linkstation Pro (developer) with Twonky 6.0.23
Clients:
Kathrein UFS 822 (pvr sat receiver, upnp-client?)
Philips TV PFL9604
WD TV Live
Roku Linkstation
Philips WLAN photo frame
Video playlists

Post by Georg » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:27 pm

With the ongoing discussion about playlists I tried to create a WPL-video playlist using the following format:

Code: Select all

<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
    <head>
        <meta name="AverageRating" content="5"/>
        <meta name="ItemCount" content="3"/>
        <meta name="Type" content="V"/>
        <title>Test</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <seq>
            <media src="File1.AVI" title="Some title 1"/>
            <media src="File2.AVI" title="Another title"/>
       </seq>
    </body>
</smil>
And except for a small inconsistency it works as expected (tested with tms 6.0.1 and 6.0.23)! :D
You have to set the meta information <meta name="Type" content="V"/> for Twonky to accept it as video playlist. Otherwise it will (probably) be listed as music playlist. This meta type is not part of the microsoft documentation, but I took and adjusted it from Ricks example of a photo slideshow. It shouldn't hurt other programs as you seem to be free to create your own meta tags.

The inconsistency is related to setting the media title by <media ... title="abcd"/>. While this works for music playlists and photo slideshows it doesn't for my video playlist. Instead the filename (without the extension) is presented.

:?: Rick, maybe this can be fixed?

The idea to mix video and photos in one playlist didn't work. With the type was set to "V" only videos were presented (though I didn't try to set it to "P").

Cheers,
Georg

BTW: Looking at Microsofts documentation it seems that the title item is only defined for the <head> section to set the title of the playlist and not for the <media>. But even if it's a Twonky specific creation I like the idea and it makes sense. Given the XML-type structure it shouldn't cause any problems to other programs.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Video playlists

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Georg,

If you're request is to have mixed media playlists, I'm not sure that's possible with WPL playlists, although you should be able to do this with playlists created by TwonkyManager.

I've created a ticket so that an engineer can look into the metadata issue that you mention. If it's an easy fix, we'll try to do it. To check status on this in the future. Send e-mail to tmm-beta@pv.com and ask me about MM-4125 (that's the number for this ticket).

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Georg
AV Hardware:Server: Linkstation Pro (production) with Twonky 6.0.1 +
Linkstation Pro (developer) with Twonky 6.0.23
Clients:
Kathrein UFS 822 (pvr sat receiver, upnp-client?)
Philips TV PFL9604
WD TV Live
Roku Linkstation
Philips WLAN photo frame

Re: Video playlists

Post by Georg » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi Rick,

yes the question was related to the title setting. Displaying the filenames is OK, but to set a title would be better and consistent with the music playlists and slideshows.

The other issue with the mixed playlists... When the video playlist worked I thought to give a mixed playlist a try. I just noticed that it doesn't work with 6.0.1, but 6.0.23 displays the images in both html and flash browser as expected :D . I think I'll have time to test it on the WD TV Live tomorrow.

Cheers,
Georg