PS3 + FLAC solution

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
xadhoom
AV Hardware:ps3 + linux ubuntu x86_64
PS3 + FLAC solution

Post by xadhoom » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi,

since I did not found any "complete" solution in making flac working with ps3,
I played with my setup and now I've a working solution.

I just want to share it for other users, maybe will be useful.
This works with tms 5.0.68 and 5.1.1 (tested both).

system setup:
ubuntu 9.10 on x86_64
TMS 5.1.1 (ok also with 5.0.68)

* install TMS as usual, I assume that "standard" streaming works with ps3 already.

* install flac : sudo apt-get install flac

* in /usr/local/twonkymedia/cgi-bin create file flac-wav.desc ( or edit it, if already in place) and make it in this way :

Code: Select all

# transcode audio
#(c) 2008 by PacketVideo
exec: flac2wav $infile $outfile
# capabilities
from=audio/x-flac
to=audio/x-wav
synchronous
priority=idle
note that I made it "sync" and not "async", otherwise when you first select the flac, if not in cache, you must
exit from ps3 browser and select same flac again.
On the other hand is better to have a speedy pc :)

* in /usr/local/twonkymedia/cgi-bin create file flac2wav

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/flac --silent --decode "$1" -o "$2"
* make flac2wav executable
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/twonkymedia/cgi-bin/flac2wav

* restart tms

Now it should work on the fly :)

Basically the change here is : use a "wrapper" to better handle filenames with spaces, and make it sync so you don't have to select twice same file...

hope this can be of some help, since I lost an entire morning figuring this out :D

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: PS3 + FLAC solution

Post by mgillespie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:21 pm

Many thanks, finally got around to trying this out on my system today, and it works great. A practical solution to having lossless streaming on PS3 (saving 10,000 tracks in WAV is not practical!)

Even on low-power systems, this works really well. I used it on my Marvell Kirkwood ARM based sheevaplug, and there is a small (2-3 second) delay between tracks while it transcodes, but that is' perfectly acceptible IMHO, and it does cache it seems, so any previous transcoded jobs won't need it next time.

Going to sticky this, it's so good...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

titbb
AV Hardware:ps3

Post by titbb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:51 pm

i use

flac.location

c:\flac

(ofc this goes where you installed your flac)

flac-wav.desc

# transcode audio
#(c) 2008 by PacketVideo
exec: flac --silent --decode $infile -o $outfile
# capabilities
from=audio/x-flac
to=audio/x-wav
synchronous
priority=idle

for the windows flac.exe version
works like a charm, can even forward to next songs, hardly any wait needed (flac pops up for like a second)

redspear
AV Hardware:NAS QNAP 439 Pro
PS3
Popcorn A110

Post by redspear » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi,

Have you change the config files in the resources dir?

Regards,
Luis

titbb
AV Hardware:ps3

Post by titbb » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:02 pm

redspear wrote:Hi,

Have you change the config files in the resources dir?

Regards,
Luis
Only from the cgi-bin folder

redspear
PS3
Popcorn A110

Post by redspear » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:59 pm

titbb wrote: Only from the cgi-bin folder
Hi,

Can you post your files?

I can't put it to work.

Thanks

redspear
PS3
Popcorn A110

Post by redspear » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Anyone?

Superhelmi
AV Hardware:Linn Soundsystem
PS3
Soundbridge
Synology DS-410j
Twonkymedia

Post by Superhelmi » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Hello,

Twonky works with flac transcodeing for my Roku Soundbridge.
But when browsing in albums I see every flac titel twice !?
What can I do to see evrery song only once ??

Thank you

Helmi

roberto82
AV Hardware:PlugPlayer

Post by roberto82 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:09 pm

I'm trying to do transcoding from FLAC to MP3 on the fly. Could you please provide the configuration parameters for that?

I tried:

# transcode audio
#(c) 2008 by PacketVideo
exec: ffmpeg -b 192k -i $infile $outfile
# capabilities
from=audio/x-flac
to=audio/mp3
synchronous
priority=idle

But it does not work.

Thanks.

bradj
AV Hardware:server

Post by bradj » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Worked ok for me, not sure what your problem is. Thanks for the help! :mrgreen:

Sackboy
AV Hardware:Just browsing thanks

Post by Sackboy » Wed May 19, 2010 12:43 am

You seem to know alot about Playstation 3 media servers can you tell me what the difference is with twonky and the other free media servers?

Music for Life
AV Hardware:WD Mybook world edition 2tb, Twonky Media 5.1, PS3, PC

Post by Music for Life » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi there. Just purchased a WD my book world edition 2tb NAS with TMS 5.1 and am wondering if this could be done on that device?

Thanks

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:11 pm

Anyone using this with V6.x TMS?

I'm trying under Linux (ARM) and can't get it working. It works just fine on V5.x Wondering if I am alone in my problems, or others seeing the same?
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

NateDawg1169
AV Hardware:Mybookworld (Blue Ring), PS3, WDTVLive,

Post by NateDawg1169 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:22 am

I have got a Mybook World edition as well, but the old blue ring model in raid configuration. I have managed to install twonky 6.1 on it and enable the transcoding features. I am currently testing out MKV's and AVI's being transcoded to MP4's with live on the fly transcoding with ffmpeg. Seems to be working so far, but I am concerned with the lack of power my unit has. 30mb of memory and a 200mhz processor. I fear the live transcoding will get glitchy. I am 5 minutes in no glitches into a Soprano's episode as we speak. Fingers crossed.

NateDawg1169
AV Hardware:Mybookworld (Blue Ring), PS3, WDTVLive,

Post by NateDawg1169 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:25 am

Well I made it through streaming two episodes of Soprano's to my PS3 last night. It started a little rough the first 15 minutes of the first episode was a bit glitchy, every five minutes the audio would mute then the video would freeze shortly there after, I would have to pause for 10 seconds and play and it would pick up where it left off. This was happening because the twonky server hadn't finished rebuilding the database of all my media and my resource starved nas couldn't keep up.
After the first 15 minutes of glitches it smoothed out and not a single glitch after that.

I have tested AVI's and MP4s and they work just fine. Cant get my MKV's to stream as of yet, just hangs my PS3 for about 1 minute and then disconnects the media server. I will do some reading around and see if I can find a solution or not. So far not a bad result I would say for a POS used nas.

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:39 pm

Just to report. I had huge problems getting this to work on Twonkymedia 6.x on Linux (it worked great on v5). The latest RC of 6.0.2 fixes a bug.

I can report lossless FLAC-WAV audio streaming on PS3 is now working again :-)

I'm just doing some more testing, and trying to confirm if you still need to remove the -D from the Linux startup script, so it does not demonize the server process (there are reports that transcoding on Linux does not work if the server is demonized, which occurs by default in the startup script). Will update this post once I know.

EDIT: YES, you need to remove the -D from the Linux startup script for transcoding to work it seems....

chileboy
AV Hardware:Maxtor Shared Storage II
PS/3

Post by chileboy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:27 pm

Newbie here - I have successfully installed TMS on my Maxtor Shared Storage II NAS and can stream MP3 to my PS3. I want to try and enable transcoding flac to wav as outlined here. I believe I understand everything except how to locate the flac2wav application itself. I looked around quite a bit on this site, ran some Google searches, etc. Do I need to use a wget or something from a specific feed?

Sorry for the basic nature of this question...I have some experience with this sort of thing, but not enough apparently...

Thanks.

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Read the first post again - flac2wav is a script you create directly yourself.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

chileboy
PS/3

Post by chileboy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:10 pm

[quote="PeeBee"]Read the first post again - flac2wav is a script you create directly yourself.

PB[/quote]

Thanks PB, yes, I realized that after posting... :oops:

============
Completely OT, but there appears to be no appropriate forum for this - I have BBCode "Enabled" in my Control Panel, yet when in the Compose / Edit Post dialog, it always says "BBCode is Off"...

chileboy
PS/3

Post by chileboy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Is it possible for someone to help me?

I have tried every transcoding profile in this thread, and about half-a-dozen others from other documents and threads I have found here. I have tried transcoding to .wav, .MP3, etc.I have been meticulous about my syntax, file placement and rights, etc., restarted the server between every change, and I still cannot get this to work - my PS3 always shows "Unsupported data".

I can successfully stream MP3s and I can also stream flac to other clients (that understand flac natively).

I am running 6.0.30 on a Maxtor Shared Storage II using the build specifically for that target, and I have also installed both ffmpeg and flac.

I am wondering if I should go back to an earlier build?

I also saw the post about removing the daemon command -D from the startup script - I thought this would be in /etc/init.d/rc.twonky, but I don't see that option there. Am I looking at the wrong file? I also examined the .html and .ini files in the TS home directory.

Thanks very much for any and all suggestions.

moviegeek
AV Hardware:Denon AVR-3808 Surround Receiver
Philips 42PFL9603D LCD TV
PlayStation 3

Post by moviegeek » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Sackboy wrote:You seem to know alot about Playstation 3 media servers can you tell me what the difference is with twonky and the other free media servers?
One thing the PS3 media server will do, that the other ones I tried won't, is serve DVD movies (both .iso images and VIDEO_TS folders). And you can select both audio and subtitles. Works like a charm.

dennis_k85
AV Hardware:PSAudio DAC

Post by dennis_k85 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:58 pm

I am trying this on the arm release of twonky, and it does not seem to work. I have followed the directions above. I am not trying this to a PS3, but to a PSAudio bridge. Any ideas?

mediumsam
AV Hardware:WD mybook world I whitelight
Twonky 5.1.9
Optware Twonky 7.0.9 special mss2
PS3 firmware 4.21
Sony Bravia KDL 32EX600

Post by mediumsam » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:03 am

I am trying to do something similar with ALAC - WAV. My music collection is apple lossless. ALAC files are in M4A extension. However I am stuck and I can't get it to work. I have upgraded my WD Worldbook I (whitelight) with Twonky 7.0.9 Special NAS using this guide
http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t- ... book-world
This is what I have done so far.

Used putty to SSH WD mybook world's IP

ipkg install alac-decoder (downloaded and installed alac-decoder 0.1.0-2)
alac decoder installed to /opt/bin/alac

I have created alac-wav.desc in /usr/local/twonky/cgi-bin/

#transcode audio
exec: alac $infile -f output.wav $outfile
#capabilities
from=audio/mp4a
to=audio/x-wav
synchronous
priority=idle

I have also created alac.location in /usr/local/twonky/cgi-bin/

/opt/bin/alac

I made both files executable
chmod +x /usr/local/twonky/cgi-bin/alac-wav.desc
chmod +x /usr/local/twonky/cgi-bin/alac.location

in /usr/local/twonky/resources/transcoding.db I have added this under #Additional audio res

M4A,m4a,mp4a,audio/mp4a

I have cleared the cache and restarted twonky server. I am very new to putty coding and don't know where I have gone wrong or how to fix. Can anyone help?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:42 am

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you, but you may want to post in the main server section if you don't get a response here. There are several transcoding experts that spend a lot of time there.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

chileboy
PS/3

Post by chileboy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:02 am

@mediumsam:

Check out this thread in the new forum that I had started, should be a great help:

http://community.twonky.com/twonky/topi ... utm_medium

- Mark

mediumsam
AV Hardware:WD mybook world I whitelight
Twonky 5.1.9
Optware Twonky 7.0.9 special mss2
PS3 firmware 4.21
Sony Bravia KDL 32EX600

Post by mediumsam » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks Rick and Mark.
I have posted the same question in a couple of topic threads and I have been directed to Mark's topic on Community.twonky

As of yet I have not got a working solution on my NAS (WD MB World WL) but others have on WD MB Live which gives me hope.
I tried to start fresh a couple of times by restoring current firmware and in the meantime the Twonky 7.x upgrade guide has been broken. So I have been trying to get it to work on the default twonky 5.1.9.
FFMPEG command works converting while in an SSH connection. It is just whether twonky 5.x can transcode on the fly.
I read somewhere that twonky can't transcode while daemonised is that true for the built-in twonky server 5.1.9?

Tanya Sri
AV Hardware:Data Projectors, wireless microphones, Powered Speakers, Microphone Mixers, Podiums

Post by Tanya Sri » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:48 am