jerky MKVs from the Windows Home Server

Other OS or NAS discussions
tiefrot
AV Hardware:WHS HP 312 + WD TV Live
jerky MKVs from the Windows Home Server

Post by tiefrot » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:33 am

Dear Twonky-Fans,
I bought the Twonky Manager + Server about 2 weeks ago. I do like the software, but there are still some little problematic issues I can’t get rid of.
This is my hardware-environment:
I have a WD TV Live Streamer in the living room, streaming music and videos via Devolo dLAN 200 AV Wireless N (powerline adapter) from the office room. Here is my Windows Home Server (HP DataVault 312). There is no firewall in between the network. I did not install any other Addons on the WHS besides “Lights Out”- which is deactivated right now. The DLAN data transfer is pretty good with about 90 – 120 Mbit/s. The indexing of all files is complete on the WHS.
Problem 1:
My 1080p MKVs are jerky sometimes. The dropouts are always on the same position in the movies as far as I can tell. If I attach a 3.5’’ external harddrive via docking-station directly with USB to the WD streamer the movie runs fine. The flow is not as smooth as from the TWONKY server but there are no dropouts. I would say it is not a problem from the streamer or the DLAN connection something must be wrong on the WHS.
Problem2:
I’m not able to stream movie-ISOs from the WHS. I am able to watch these ISOs via docking station directly from the external harddrive. I guess this is still a limitation on the part of TWONKY right?

I could live the ISO limitation, but I do need help with the the MKV issue. I hope you have some ideas for me.

Best Regards,
Marcus.

PS: I hope you can handle my English. Greetings from Tübingen in Germany. :D

tiefrot

Re: jerky MKVs from the Windows Home Server

Post by tiefrot » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Did I post it in the wrong topic?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:55 pm

The only way to stream the highest bandwidth HD videos is to stream them on a Gigabit Ethernet network. There are other tips on this topic in our Best Practices doc.

Some of the Windows Home Servers are underpowered as well. As a test, you might want to try streaming on a PC desktop. You can download a trial version of our software for free to test this.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

tiefrot

Post by tiefrot » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Hello Rick,

thanks for your support. Thats a good tip testing a desktop PC.

Concerning the support of video ISO-files streaming, is there anything planned in the closer future?

Cheers,
Marcus.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Twonky should be able to stream VOB files today. I thought that's what most rippers extracted. Why are you looking to steam ISO?

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

tiefrot

Post by tiefrot » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Hello Rick,
Yes this is true I’m able to stream VOBs. In my circle of friends is ISO the most common way to rip the DVDs on the hard disk / media server. Many streamers support this file format.
The good things on ISOs are:
- Only one file,
- Easy to burn another CD or DVD,
- General ISO handling on the part of OS

Cheers,
Marcus.

tiefrot

Post by tiefrot » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:09 am

Hello Rick,

lets say its an "Enhancement Request" concerning the ability to stream ISO movies. :D

Best Regards,
Marcus.