Transcoding Only Audio of a given container?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Ranmaniac
AV Hardware:LG LE5400 Series TV
Xbox 360
iPhone
Transcoding Only Audio of a given container?

Post by Ranmaniac » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:14 pm

My primary media player client is an LG LE5400 TV. It handles just about any video you throw at it with no transcoding. It handles just about all audio except for DTS. I havent even installed ffmpg yet so nothing has been transcoded thus far. Is there a way that I can set up a config to transcode only the DTS audio of a given container, but stream the video as is? I know that AC3Filter can do this on the fly... I dont know if FFMPEG

Is there docs or a set of full instructions for installing ffmpg and or other needed support for transcoding, including editing the config files?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Transcoding Only Audio of a given container?

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:42 am

There are a couple of decent posts about transcoding in the forum, but unfortunately nothing that is very comprehensive.
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 749#p22749

I don't think it's possible to transcode a single container only, but I could be wrong.

TwonkyServer 7.0 will be available as a paid upgrade and install all of the codecs and description files for you. That should make it much easier for the rest of us to use this important feature.

There will also be a free upgrade to TS 7.0, but it won't include all of the codecs. You should still be able to install them on your own if you'd like.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Ranmaniac
AV Hardware:LG LE5400 Series TV
Xbox 360
iPhone

Post by Ranmaniac » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:43 am

Well, the container doesnt have to be specific. DTS audio can come in many containers. My aim is to have Twonky detect DTS audio and transcode it to something that the TV recognizes no matter what the container and just pass the video through.

phibertron
AV Hardware:Hardware
========
WHS - HP Ex495
PS3
XBOX 360
iTouch - Gen 2 and Gen 3
PSP - 3000

Encoders
========
Handbrake
x264
ffmpeg
mencoder

Tagging
======
mp3tag

Post by phibertron » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:50 pm

You know that is an interesting problem/scenario

Basically “as I understand it”
The many media servers out there deal with transcoding based on the container
not necessarily the mime content in those containers

For Ex:
say you had a device that couldn’t play .mkv containers natively
There would be a device profile stating it couldn’t play them and to send it to the transcoder
In addition it could add extra parameters to tell the transcoder with
There would then be in the case of twonky, a transcoder profile for the mkv into some other container
In that transcoder file would be the generic encoder settings, which could be hard coded there
Or they could be passed via the device profile settings for the file type

What I don’t know, like you, is could it be done on track level basis of the contents in the container
So say for ex: you device could play .mkv, with aac audio but not .mkv with dts audio
As I noted “As I Understand it”, I’m not sure how one could differentiate between the two
Based on the current architecture
The only thing I could think of is to make it transcode all .mkv files
But to configure the transcode to use –vcodec copy, as to not transcode the video
And then use –acodec ac3 or something
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10627
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9353
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9408
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9416
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9424
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9364
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9497