Playing albums on TX-NR807 from My Book World Edition II

geekay
AV Hardware:Onkyo TX-NR807
Western Digital My Book World Edition II(white light).
Playing albums on TX-NR807 from My Book World Edition II

Post by geekay » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:42 pm

I updated the Onkyo andWD hard drive firmware to the latest version. Thw WD drive is running TwonkyMedia Server 5.1.9.
I can play single tracks, including FLAC, just fine; however, I cannot play a complete album - playback stops after the first track. Other than creating playlists (for hundreds of albums) - is there anything I can do?
Thanks!

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Playing albums on TX-NR807 from My Book World Edition II

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:44 pm

First off, sorry to hear that you're having problems.

Some devices have problems with music playlists. Here is how you can narrow down the problem:

1. First make a simple playlist with 2-3 MP3 files. If that works, it's a problem with your receiver that is related to FLAC media.

2. Ideally you'd also try to play the same FLAC playlist on another media player (software or hardware) or another media controller (like TwonkyManager software). If that works, it's a problem with your receiver.

Make sure you're Onkyo is running the newest firmware. Someone who works here had a problem with his that was fixed by upgrading. There's some info about upgrading here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yVdBHWcvlc

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

geekay
AV Hardware:Onkyo TX-NR807
Western Digital My Book World Edition II(white light).

Post by geekay » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:55 am

Rick, thanks for the quick answer. I shall try using playlists. I had hoped I could play all the tracks on an album in one go, without skipping manually or defining playlists since I have a few hundred albums on my hard drive.
Gregory

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Album containers should work. But as I said, some devices work better than others with these.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Darr247
AV Hardware:Onkyo TX-NR807, Oppo BDP-83, Tivo S3 THX, Tivo S4 XL, WD MyBook World Edition (white lights, with Twonky 5.1.9 in firmware), multiple Windows and Linux boxes on LAN running TVersity, uShare, et al media server software.

Post by Darr247 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:12 pm

geekay wrote:I updated the Onkyo andWD hard drive firmware to the latest version. Thw WD drive is running TwonkyMedia Server 5.1.9.
I can play single tracks, including FLAC, just fine; however, I cannot play a complete album - playback stops after the first track. Other than creating playlists (for hundreds of albums) - is there anything I can do?
Thanks!
Change the detected Media Receiver (http://MBWE's IP:9000/config then click Media Receivers under Advanced Setup on the left) from the default "Generic Media Receiver" to "Generic Music Only Receiver" then click Save Changes at the top. On the left, click Maintenance, then Restart Server at the top.

After Twonky has restarted, on the Onkyo's remote, while in NET mode, push the white MUSIC/REPEAT button until you see ALL and the loop icon in the lower-right corner of the display. (ALL + icon repeats the entire directory structure until you tell it to stop; FOLDER + icon repeats just the current folder until stopped; 1 in a circle + icon = repeat just the selected track until stopped; no loop icon means play the current track then stop).

In my experience, changing the detected type to Generic Music Only Reciever also made it show the Artist and Album tags (next to the i and o icons, respectively) and, below the playing time slider, the FLAC's bitrate and frequency. I do not remember seeing those data when the default Generic Media Receiver type was selected.

The TX-NR807 usually does not display the embedded image file over the 'notes' icon, though a box typically shows up there after 15 seconds or so. I'm not sure if that's a transcoding or a size issue (the box is small, maybe 150x150 pixels, and most of the images I put in mine are scans of the covers resized to 600x600 or larger)... I would manually try some of the other 'detected' types there (e.g. DENON), but Generic Music Only made the 'play all' work for my TX-NR807, so I left it at that. I usually watch video files using my Oppo BD player, served up by TVersity (mainly because I'm still waiting for the clients.db structures to show up here).