Twonky Server 6.0.34 installed via QPKG on TS-212 then off.

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
alecela
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-212 NAS, Linn Majik Digital Stream player, D-Link DIR-632 router
Twonky Server 6.0.34 installed via QPKG on TS-212 then off.

Post by alecela » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Ok, this is a bit quirky... My QNAP TS-212 came preinstalled w/ Twonky 5.1.6. I updated to 6.0.34 via QPKG pluggins and things seemed to be working fine. Then I clicked UPnP media server within my TS-212 and realized it was NOT enabled. I ticked & enabled it again just to find out my Twonky reverted back to 5.1.6. I thought there might be a mistake so I re-updated to 6.0.34 via same step, just to find UPnP not enabled again. I enabled it for the second time and that knocked me back to Twonky 5.1.6.

Is this normal or have I screwed up somewhere?

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Re: Twonky Server 6.0.34 installed via QPKG on TS-212 then o

Post by Briain » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi

Disable the 'UPnP server' via the Qnap web page; that is the embedded 5.1 version (installing the QPKG should automatically un-tick the box for the embedded version, so if you have re-ticked it, you will have reverted to the embedded 5.1 version). If Twonky 6 doesn't then automatically start, go to the QPKG section of the Qnap web settings and enable it using the button associated with the Twonky QPKG. If it already claims to be enabled, disable it, then enable it again. If that still doesn't work, disable it, then reboot the Qnap, then go back to the QPKG section and enable it again.

Bri

alecela
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-212 NAS, Linn Majik Digital Stream player, D-Link DIR-632 router

Post by alecela » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:02 am

Aha, so by means of installing 6.0.34 it does NOT 'replace' the older version embedded I guess? Thanks...

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:31 am

Hi

No, the existing one is embedded in the Qnap firmware releases and it is simply disabled when you install the QPKG version (so you can disable it and revert to Twonky 5.1). Several of us pestered Qnap into building both Twonky 4 and the latest Twonky 6 releases into these QPKG add-ons as it means they can make updates available quickly (as an option) but leave the proven one in the stock firmware. That means users can get them quicker (as we don't have to wait for Qnap to extensively test it then bundle it into the next full firmware update) and it also effectively means that users like me will extensively test them. My understanding is that they'll likely soon embed Twonky 6 in a future firmware; possibly TMS 6.0.36 or 6.0.37 (when it arrives). The other advantage is that the QPKG is installed on the main disk partition (as opposed to being on the operating system partition alongside the system files) and that means any folks who use custom trees (to generate custom Twonky menus) can update the Qnap firmware without having to replace the trees afterwards. I've been told that this has also proven to be a useful feature for some Linn HiFi dealers as it means they can put my custom trees on their customers' NAS's (which involves a couple of Linux commands) and they won't be overwritten should the customer updates the main NAS firmware at a later date. All in all, it's proved useful, though the downside is that it's a little confusing for folks unaware of the full story. :)

Bri