Accessing WD MyBookWorld

Other OS or NAS discussions
Jjimbob1208
AV Hardware:WD MyBookWorld
Accessing WD MyBookWorld

Post by Jjimbob1208 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi,

I am having trouble accessing my WD MyBookWorld (white light edition) with Twonky Media via my PS3.

Can anyone tell me how I set this up please.

I have tried the Western Digital help files and have had no joy.

Thanks

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Re: Accessing WD MyBookWorld

Post by parnott » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Have you tried asking this question over in the WD forum- http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Wor ... /mbw_world

Jjimbob1208

Post by Jjimbob1208 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Yep, posted it in several areas, still no joy.

parnott

Post by parnott » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Then please explain in detail what your problem is, e.g.
- Cannot see Twonky server on PS3?
- Cannot see Folders?
- Cannot see certain media files?

Also please explain what steps you have already taken to try and fix this problem.

Jjimbob1208

Post by Jjimbob1208 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi,

On PS3 I can see two icons; one icon says MyBookWorld [TwonyMedia] and when I click on it it says there are 'no files'

The second icon is the TwonkyMedia icon and when I click on this I can see files/folders I added for sharing in the TwonkyMedia configuration under Basic Setup > Sharing, but I can not see any of MyBookWorld files when I click on the icon in the PS3 menu and I can not work out how to add the MyBookWorld folders under Basic Setup > Sharing from within the TwonkyMedia configuration page.

TROUBLE SHOOTING

I have scoured the internet for posts/forums and help documentation.

I have submitted a Western Digital Support Ticket (no reply yet)

I have updated my PS3 and MyBookWorld firmware today

I have tried accessing the TwonkyMedia server by accessing MyBookWorld admin via the Bonjour service on my Mac as per the MyBookWorld TwonkyMedia setup guide e.g, MyBookWorld Admin > Advanced > Media > Media Server and this takes me to a TwonkyServer page where it says Twonky Media Server [0]

That is as far as I have got

parnott

Post by parnott » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:04 pm

WD have configured Twonky Server on the MyBookWorld to only share media files in the Public share. This share has 3 directories- Shared Music, Shared, Shared Pictures and Shared Videos. You must put your media files in one of these directories or sub-directories below these directories.

This is all described in the WD MyBookWorld manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/U ... 705013.pdf) starting on page 64.

Jjimbob1208

Post by Jjimbob1208 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:05 am

[quote="parnott"]WD have configured Twonky Server on the MyBookWorld to only share media files in the Public share. This share has 3 directories- Shared Music, Shared, Shared Pictures and Shared Videos. You must put your media files in one of these directories or sub-directories below these directories.

This is all described in the WD MyBookWorld manual ([url]http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/U ... 705013.pdf[/url]) starting on page 64.[/quote]

Yep, done all that. I have been accessing these shared public folders successfully from my iPhone and iMac for over a year, but the same media files are not available in TwokyMedia or in TwonkyMedia via PS3.

parnott

Post by parnott » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:29 pm

What types/formats of media files are you sharing? Where did they come from or how were they created?

Also, what apps have you been to play these files on your iPhone and iMac?