Getting new content to show quickly (Restart Server/Rescan)?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
brandonx76
AV Hardware:WD Live TV / Twonky Server for Mac
Getting new content to show quickly (Restart Server/Rescan)?

Post by brandonx76 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi - really glad to have Twonky for the MAC - excellent product so far...

Q.Q if anyone can share...I have a fairly sizable media collection...I routinely add new files from time to time, and would like they to show within my media player shortly after I add them to my content directories..Does anyone have any tips to get Twonky to have them 'indexed' and available on the Media library quickly? With over 30+ folders and sub folders, I'm curious what is the quickest way to get Twonky to have a particular folder refreshed...I think restarting the server may help, but also rescanning the content directories..., but I'm not sure...rescanning the content directories, seems to be effective, but takes time and has to rescan the entire library..Just looking for best tips and if anyone knows if a way to prioritize a certain folder?

Thanks to any and all

regards,

- Brandon

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Getting new content to show quickly (Restart Server/Resc

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:48 pm

I don't know of a way to change scan priorities.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

brandonx76
AV Hardware:WD Live TV / Twonky Server for Mac

Post by brandonx76 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Ok, any idea how long a rescan should take?

cykelsmeden
AV Hardware:WD-NAS & W7 as TWONKYserver
sony 40w5500 as primary client
Philips MCI500 as secondary client
Medion Internetradio - not working DLNA yet ;(

Post by cykelsmeden » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:04 pm

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:I don't know of a way to change scan priorities.

- Rick
I might misunderstand, but isn't that what:
# -1 for evented, 0 for disabled, positive value for rescan time in minutes
scantime=-1

are ment for?
(If it really works, I can't tell, but if it does, the forced annoying scan upon start should not be neccessary however??)

//finn

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Every time TwonkyServer is restarted it verifies that the content stored in its database has not changed since the last time it was closed down. To do that the server compares the time stamps between the internal database and the media files on your disk. No media files are opened during this process. It's just comparing all of time stamps. This process occurs quickly when content on the disk has not changed. One of the reasons it appears the database is being rebuilt, is because you see the number of media items on the server configuration status page increase over time. It looks a database rebuild, but should occur much faster.

Normally changing the "Rescan in minutes" from -1 to 0 disables rescanning. However TwonkyServer 6.0 on Mac does not support file system eventing. When eventing is not supported TwonkyServer defaults back to timer-based scanning and uses 60 minutes as default. We are planning to address this issue in TwonkyServer 7.0. I don't know if it's in the version which is out now.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

cykelsmeden
AV Hardware:WD-NAS & W7 as TWONKYserver
sony 40w5500 as primary client
Philips MCI500 as secondary client
Medion Internetradio - not working DLNA yet ;(

Post by cykelsmeden » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:00 am

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:Every time TwonkyServer is restarted it verifies that the content stored in its database has not changed since the last time it was closed down. To do that the server compares the time stamps between the internal database and the media files on your disk. No media files are opened during this process. It's just comparing all of time stamps. This process occurs quickly when content on the disk has not changed. One of the reasons it appears the database is being rebuilt, is because you see the number of media items on the server configuration status page increase over time. It looks a database rebuild, but should occur much faster.

Normally changing the "Rescan in minutes" from -1 to 0 disables rescanning. However TwonkyServer 6.0 on Mac does not support file system eventing. When eventing is not supported TwonkyServer defaults back to timer-based scanning and uses 60 minutes as default. We are planning to address this issue in TwonkyServer 7.0. I don't know if it's in the version which is out now.

- Rick
Thank you for swift and clear information!

//finn