Recommended Devices List

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
Re: Recommended Devices List

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Twonky issue --
Since the last server program update, MP3 files play fine. However, the transcode music to MP3 is now grayed out in the server settings. I have not figured out why.
It will remain grayed out until FFmpeg is installed. Let me know if you need suggestions how to do on a computer. I don't have any instructions how to do this for a NAS.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

1BigGuy
AV Hardware:Windows Home Server PP3

music transcoding

Post by 1BigGuy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:39 am

Rick, I have had ffmpeg installed. The box was not grayed out until after I upgraded.
Ffmpeg's location file points to the proper location of the program. I do not see a desc file for mp3. Maybe you should send me the instructions for a PC. I must be missing something.
In fact, please send me any instructions you can for setting up transcoding.
If I want the client's default browser window to be in Flash rather than html, what is the proper way to set that up?
Thank you-

1BigGuy
AV Hardware:Windows Home Server PP3

further thoughs on using Twonky server with Google TV

Post by 1BigGuy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:16 pm

FYI
I had found that the Twonky Server's links to online radio streams such as Shoutcast return a URL error with GoogleTV. I spent some time focused on a streaming audio workaround or tweak. I eventually realized I do not need to use the twonky media server for stream audioat all because GoogleTV includes a version of Chrome that allows me to launch sites such as Shoutcast or a commerical station stream. Streaming through the browser works well.

All the transcoding options except MP3 are checked. (At one time, I was able to check the box.) So, I have continued searching for a resolution to the grayed out check box for transcoding all music to MP3. I installed newer builds of LAME and of FFMPEG. Neither cured the problem. I verified the FFMPEG.location file was correct, reviewd the desc files (none seemed to apply except any2mp3.desc), placed duplicate copies of LAME and FFMPEG in the twonkymedia folder. Nothing seems to correct the problem.

I wonder if the ANY2MP3.DESC file is correct? Is contains the following:
# transcode audio (mp4, wav, wma to mp3)
#(c) 2008 by PacketVideo
exec: any2mp3 $infile $outfile -br 128000 -sps 44100
# capabilities
from=audio/all
to=audio/mpeg
asynchronous
priority=idle

Or, if the actual script in ANY2MP3 might need tweaking or is not implemented correctly? I have mplayer installed in the location listed in its location file.
ANY2MP3 contains the following:
#!/bin/bash
#
# This is a script that comverts any file(audio/audio+video) to mp3 format.
# To run this script, you will need mplayer and lame.
# This script is only effective if the above mensioned file is
# playable in mplayer.
#
# Script author : Renjith I S
# Webpage : renjithis.co.cc, renjithis.co.nr
#
# You are free to modify this script and to make it better.
# If you have done so and if you think you have made the script
# better, please mail me a copy of it.
# The comments provided in the script is for debugging and further development.
# I would also appreciate any corrections and suggestions,
# but i cant promise you that i would be able to implement it because of my
# lack of knowledge in scripting.
# Feel free to contact me for any information.
#
#This script currently works for only 1 file/all files in d directory......
# I would try to make it work for batch conversion like specifying with
# wild card characters.....
# but as said above, im not an expert in scripting.
#
#
#Syntax is
# For single file conversion:
#
# $any2mp3 <filename>
#
# OR
# For all files in the current directory:
#
# $any2mp3
#
#

#to define fname as global = filename
fname=$1

removeTemp()
{
# remove temporary files
echo
echo "Removing Temporary Files"
sleep 1
rm -f /tmp/$newname
rm -f audiodump.wav
rm -f /tmp/temp
}

convert()
{
# remove spaces from filename
newname=`echo $fname | tr ' ' '_'`
oldname=$fname
cp "$fname" /tmp/$newname

echo ""
echo "Processing File :$oldname"
echo ""
echo ""

# convert to wav
mplayer -vo null -vc dummy -ao pcm:waveheader /tmp/$newname -msglevel all=5 2>/dev/null | grep -iA 7 title >/tmp/temp

# exit if error
# x=$?
# if [[ $x -gt 1 ]];
# then
# echo "Error : Could not play the file"
# echo "Make sure that the file is playable in mplayer"
# echo "Exit code = $x"
# removeTemp
# exit $x
# fi

# get song details
filetitle=`grep -i title /tmp/temp`
filetitle=`echo ${filetitle#*:}`

fileartist=`grep -i artist /tmp/temp`
fileartist=`echo ${fileartist#*:}`

filealbum=`grep -i album /tmp/temp`
filealbum=`echo ${filealbum#*:}`

filegenre=`grep -i genre /tmp/temp`
filegenre=`echo ${filegenre#*:}`

fileyear=`grep -i year /tmp/temp`
fileyear=`echo ${fileyear#*:}`

filecomm=`grep -i comment /tmp/temp`
filecomm=`echo ${filecomm#*:}`

filetrack=`grep -i track /tmp/temp`
filetrack=`echo ${filetrack#*:}`

# convert wav to mp3
lame -b 192 audiodump.wav /tmp/temp.mp3 --tt "$filetitle" --tl "$filealbum" --ta "$fileartist" --tg "$filegenre" --ty "$fileyear" --tc "$filecomm" --tn "$filetrack" >/dev/null

# check if error
x=$?
if [[ $x -ne 0 ]];
then
echo "Error : Could not convert the file"
echo "Make sure that lame is installed and of the latest available version"
echo "Exit code = $x"
removeTemp
exit $x
fi

# rename mp3 file to <oldname>.mp3
mv /tmp/temp.mp3 "conv_mp3/${oldname%.*}.mp3"
echo
echo
echo "Converting \"$oldname\" to mp3 has completed"

}

if test $# -gt 1
then
# Print Help Page
echo -e "\nWrong Syntax\n
Syntax is
For single file conversion:\n
\$any2mp3 <filename>\n
OR
For all files in the current directory:\n
\$any2mp3 \n\n"
exit 1
fi

# removes d temp files used if any were left over in unclean exit previously
ls audiodump.wav 2>/dev/null && rm -f audiodump.wav
ls /tmp/temp 2>/dev/null && rm -f /tmp/temp
#removeTemp

mkdir conv_mp3 2>/dev/null
#decides if single file or d whole directory
if test $# -eq 1
then

# get filename
fname=$1
convert
else

# convert all files in d current directory
for fname in *.*
do
convert
done

fi

#remove temp files
removeTemp

echo
echo "Finished Processing File..... Thank You for using Renjith's script"
echo -e "\nAll files can be found in \"conv_mp3\"\n"
sleep 0.5

I would be insterested in your thoughts!
Happy Holidays

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: music transcoding

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:59 pm

1BigGuy wrote:Rick, I have had ffmpeg installed. The box was not grayed out until after I upgraded.
Ffmpeg's location file points to the proper location of the program. I do not see a desc file for mp3. Maybe you should send me the instructions for a PC. I must be missing something.
In fact, please send me any instructions you can for setting up transcoding.
If I want the client's default browser window to be in Flash rather than html, what is the proper way to set that up?
Thank you-
Here are the only instructions I have for transcoding. If you want to play on Flash check the formats your player supports.
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 714#p22749

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Re: further thoughs on using Twonky server with Google TV

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:05 pm

1BigGuy wrote:FYI
I had found that the Twonky Server's links to online radio streams such as Shoutcast return a URL error with GoogleTV. I spent some time focused on a streaming audio workaround or tweak. I eventually realized I do not need to use the twonky media server for stream audioat all because GoogleTV includes a version of Chrome that allows me to launch sites such as Shoutcast or a commerical station stream. Streaming through the browser works well.

All the transcoding options except MP3 are checked. (At one time, I was able to check the box.) So, I have continued searching for a resolution to the grayed out check box for transcoding all music to MP3. I installed newer builds of LAME and of FFMPEG. Neither cured the problem. I verified the FFMPEG.location file was correct, reviewd the desc files (none seemed to apply except any2mp3.desc), placed duplicate copies of LAME and FFMPEG in the twonkymedia folder. Nothing seems to correct the problem. ...

I would be insterested in your thoughts!
Happy Holidays
Sadly, I do not have an answer to this question. You might want to make a post in the server section. Most of the transcoding experts hang out there.

- Rick

sgt_spike
AV Hardware:Sony Blu-Ray BDP-570S
Roku XD

Post by sgt_spike » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm running Win 7. When I just had TwonkyManager installed, I didn't see renderers. Now I have the Twonky Server installed and I can see just my Sony Blu-Ray 570S but my RokuXD will not show up. I still cannot see my devices on TwonkyManager What gives? Why can I not see them on TwonkyManager? The info page says TwonkyManager is the server also, so I should be able to.

Also, I have the Twonky Channel installed on my Roku but the Roku device will not show up on the Twonky server. Why? I have enabled the devices on the firewall. I can see them on the router.

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 am

I'm running Win 7. When I just had TwonkyManager installed, I didn't see renderers. Now I have the Twonky Server installed and I can see just my Sony Blu-Ray 570S but my RokuXD will not show up.
I don't believe the Roku devices are fully-UPnP/DLNA-compliant yet.
I still cannot see my devices on TwonkyManager What gives? Why can I not see them on TwonkyManager? The info page says TwonkyManager is the server also, so I should be able to.
TwonkyManager only shows DMRs. That's why the Roku and Sony aren't shown. Your Sony Blu-ray is DLNA-certified as a DMP.
Also, I have the Twonky Channel installed on my Roku but the Roku device will not show up on the Twonky server. Why? I have enabled the devices on the firewall. I can see them on the router.
Same answer as above. I don't believe the Roku devices are fully-UPnP/DLNA-compliant yet.

- Rick