MP3 & flac in different views

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
nerve
AV Hardware:TS119p+
Pioneer vsx1021
ipad1 : "media:connect" dlna player
android : bubble upnp dlna player
MP3 & flac in different views

Post by nerve » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi,

My question is one of those "folder vs database" questions I guess.

I rip CD's to mp3 and to flac simultaneously.
Flac is for home use, plays fine.
MP3 intended as a "download to smartphone" format, plays fine there too.

I only use the "album view" in my audiocollection. Below the multimedia folder on my TS 6.0.34 I have a folder per artist, and a subfolder per CD of that artist. Art is tagged redundant in each song, also have a folder.jpg per CD.

How can I organize TS 6.0.34 so, that on my DMC ( android bubble upnp or ipad media:connect) I first select either the FLAC or the MP3 folder, and only then get to choose how I want to view the content : Album, Artist, Genre, Artist/album, Folder, etc etc.

If I combine the flac and mp3 folders, I get double entries in my view.

thx for any suggestions

Ward

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: MP3 & flac in different views

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:37 am

I don't know of a way to do this. Maybe someone else does.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

S80UK
AV Hardware:Clients: Roberts Roberts Stream 83i, Roku SoundBridge (x3), Roberts iStream
Server: unRAID 4.7

Re: MP3 & flac in different views

Post by S80UK » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:28 am

My approach to this problem is to run two instances of Twonky Media Server on my Linux box. I have FLAC and Apple Lossless files for different clients which are stored in different folders, and rather than transcoding, I set up the two instances with separate databases scanned from the different folders. They have different server names and different port addresses for their web pages. I have two copies of the program and ini files also in separate folders. It's a little tricky to set up (requires manual edits to the twonkymedia-server.ini files) but in practice it works well. Since both instances run on the same hardware they are able to use the same licence key without problems. Then at the client I simply select the server name that I need for files of the correct format. Each sees its own files with no duplication and with no possibility of seeing files intended for the other device.