QNAP TS459-Pro II & TwonkyMedia 6.0.34

Other OS or NAS discussions
videojunkie
AV Hardware:QNAP TS459 Pro II
Twonky Media 6.0.34
QNAP TS459-Pro II & TwonkyMedia 6.0.34

Post by videojunkie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:10 am

Hi all,

I'm new to this great forum, lots of useful information!

I just bought a QNAP TS459-Pro II recently, and have TwonkyMedia 6.0.34 installed.

I am trying to stream video from my QNAP to a Sony BlueRay DVD player. I appear to be having problems streaming MPEG videos to it.

When I try to play MPEG video files from the QNAP, i just get a timer icon on my blueray player. There is disk activity from the QNAP during this time suggesting it is at least trying to provide data to the blueray player, however it just sits there with the timer icon and never plays any video. I am able to play MKV and AVI files without issue.

By accident I noticed, that if I go into the TwonkyMedia console (Maintenance tab) and restart the server, the video immediately begins to play. I have tested this on several mpeg files with the same result. I have tried re-installing the Twonkymedia plugins, and even wiped down the QNAP and started over, but i still have the same issues.

I am also able to play exactly the same files without issue, if I play them from a USB stick connected directly to the blueray player, so this would suggest that the video formats are ok.

Has anyone else seen this issue, or able offer any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: QNAP TS459-Pro II & TwonkyMedia 6.0.34

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:14 am

Sorry to hear that you're having problems. Make sure your MPEG files aren't 1080p. Sony doesn't support those. At least my Sony Blu-ray player doesn't.

I don't see why restarting the server would help. That's interesting.

Your USB memory stick test probably doesn't mean anything because most manufacturers use different player software for local playback (as opposed to UPnP network playback).

Truth be told, most Sony devices only support a few formats and most people are better served by getting a low-cost 3rd party media player like a WD TV or Apple TV.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/