Listing Flac files on Bravia

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
michel-rose
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia w5500, Linn DS, Qnap with twonky
Listing Flac files on Bravia

Post by michel-rose » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Fellow users

I am trying to get the flac files listed on my sony bravia television.
Since the bravia does not support flac i am using the mime type conversion, but it doesnt seem to work.
The lines below i have tried
MT:flac audio/flac
MT:flac audio/wav
MT:flac audio/lpcm

Wav / LPCM files show up
I know the bravia is unable to play flac, but i have transcoding to wav working.
This i tested by using wmp12 on my laptop (when you play a flac file you can seen the transcoding message in the logfile)

I am using twonky 6.0.38 which is part of the latest Qnap Beta

Could someone please let me know how the clients.db for the Bravia should look like for flac files to show up

Kind regards
Michel

PS streaming m2ts, vob and wav files to my bravia work fine :)

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Listing Flac files on Bravia

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:36 am

I'm not an expert on this, but I think that Sony filters unsupported formats. Even if you could trick them to show up, they would only play if they are supported. If it's true they are unsupported, you might want to look into other low-cost network media players like Philips, WDTV or Sonos.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

michel-rose

Post by michel-rose » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:22 am

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the answer. Is there a way to check how the files are presented towards the bravia ?
I assume when using the MT: flac audio/wav line tells Twonky to present the flac files as wav towards the Bravia.
When i change the track01.flac to track01.mp3 the file shows up. I guess this means the bravia is not checking the content just the extension

Hope you have the time to answer.
Kind regards
Michel

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Your comments appear to confirm that my suspicion was correct. I think the problem here is that Sony's media player doesn't have support for the FLAC codec. The only way I know of to get around that is to:

1. Convert your files to MP3 (I understand that is not desirable)
2. Install FFmpeg and set it up to transcode your files on the fly to linear audio. This might help you to do this: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 714#p22749

- Rick

michel-rose

Post by michel-rose » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 am

Dear Rick,

Thanks for your support.
Transcoding works like a charm
I just assumed that when you are transcoding from flac to wav for example, Twonky would also present to file type differently. When i am not able to select the *.flac file (since the bravia might be filtering files with that extension) Twonky will not start transcoding...
I will add a post in the new feature request
When transcoding on the fly is selected for specific files and clients, the new file type should already be presented towards the client.
For example: When for the sony bravia transcoding on the fly for flac to wav is selected, Twonky should present all *.flac files as *.wav in order to have them listed on the client.

Thanks again
Kind regards Michel

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Glad to hear that you have transcoding working. I'll pass on this feedback to our developers.

- Rick