TwonkyServer 7.0.8 for NAS is now ready for download

Other OS or NAS discussions
Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
TwonkyServer 7.0.8 for NAS is now ready for download

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed May 09, 2012 6:43 pm

The NAS versions of TwonkyServer 7.0.8 are now ready for download here:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/7.0.8-Special/

As always, these are unsupported and intended for those who are Linux experts. We don't have any installation instructions for any NAS devices.

Please report any bugs you find here.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: TwonkyServer 7.0.8 for NAS is now ready for download

Post by mgillespie » Wed May 09, 2012 11:35 pm

Running fine here.

I never got the MyTwonky stuff working thou, it shows me as being logged on from my server, but MyTwonky site doesn't seem to see me being connected, as clicking My Library, it always just offers me the download for the Windows or Mac version. Perhaps I need to open firewall ports?

All the required processes seem to be running:

18207 ? 00:00:00 twonkystarter
18208 ? 00:10:00 twonkyserver
18211 pts/0 00:00:02 twonkywebdav
18213 pts/0 00:00:01 twonkyproxy

Interestingly, I can't see anything connecting outside my network, when I do a netstat -p (I might have to read up on WebDAV to understand the protocol and what it's supposed to do).

Totally unrelated, I also noticed the Twonky Linux start script needs a # Required-Stop: (Debian warns that it should be there)

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: twonkyserver
# Required-Start: $network $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start: 3 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 2 6
# Description: Twonky UPnP server
### END INIT INFO
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri May 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for all of the useful feedback. I'll pass it all on to Christian and the myTwonky team. I'll let you know if they have any suggestions or workarounds.

Two questions/comments:

1. What browser are you trying to access myTwonky from?
I never got the MyTwonky stuff working thou, it shows me as being logged on from my server, but MyTwonky site doesn't seem to see me being connected, as clicking My Library, it always just offers me the download for the Windows or Mac version.
2. Keep in mind if you have one or more Twonky servers running on your network that is older than 7.0.7, it's going to display that download message. You can make it go away by clicking on the "X". Then you should be able to access your servers. Can you try this?

- Rick

compumad
AV Hardware:Sitecom MD-253; PS3; Samsung UE46b8000

Post by compumad » Sun May 13, 2012 10:07 am

Hi

Is there any version that can be user with Sitecom MD-253 NAS ?
The latest that the official site has is V6.0.3.2.
Does this version support Subtitles?
I really need subtitles.

Tkx

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu May 17, 2012 10:03 pm

According to my notes, TwonkyServer 6.0.30 (and later) display subtitles on Samsung TVs. There is hope however, because I think the notes which say V6.0.3.2, could really be TS 6.0.32.

1. What type of file are you trying to play? Not all work.
2. What type of connected player are you trying to us. Not all work.

- Rick

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Mon May 21, 2012 8:39 am

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:Hi Mark,

Thanks for all of the useful feedback. I'll pass it all on to Christian and the myTwonky team. I'll let you know if they have any suggestions or workarounds.

Two questions/comments:

1. What browser are you trying to access myTwonky from?
It's a browser specific problem, not working in Opera, but working in Chrome. I don't have IE or Firefox installed, so I can't test in them.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

compumad
AV Hardware:Sitecom MD-253; PS3; Samsung UE46b8000

Post by compumad » Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 pm

[quote="TMM_Product_Manager"]According to my notes, TwonkyServer 6.0.30 (and later) display subtitles on Samsung TVs. There is hope however, because I think the notes which say V6.0.3.2, could really be TS 6.0.32.

1. What type of file are you trying to play? Not all work.
2. What type of connected player are you trying to us. Not all work.

- Rick[/quote]

Hi

My Samsung TV is a UE46B8000 Series and i'm trying to play a MKV file.
Video and Sound are OK but no Subtitles.
I've allready tested more than one file and the same occurs, not even with enbeded subtiles they are displayed.
I saw severeal releases for other NAS and i had some hope that one of them worked on my Sitecom :(

Tkx

Emanuel

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu May 24, 2012 4:57 pm

It seems like subtitles should be working for you. Here is one more note that I have about subtitles that I thought I would share -- just in case it helps.

However, this only works on MKV files when there is an .SRT file with the same name as the MKV file. Subtitles don't work if the subtitles are embedded as a text stream in the MKV file itself. The later appears to be a limitation of Samsung's firmware because it doesn't work when a MKV with embedded subtitles is inserted directly into the TV via USB thumb drive.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu May 24, 2012 5:05 pm

It's a browser specific problem, not working in Opera, but working in Chrome. I don't have IE or Firefox installed, so I can't test in them.
Thanks. No need to test IE or FF. We know both of those work. I don't think Opera is supported, but I've passed this info on to Christian.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu May 24, 2012 6:42 pm

Just heard back from the myTwonky product manager and here are some suggestions you may want to try Mark:

Did he try the following steps? It’s usually a caching issue that causes people to not be able to see their My Libraries.

- Select Twonky 7.0 Settings from the Twonky taskbar icon.
- Go to the Advanced menu and select Restart Server.
- Close your browser.
- Restart your browser and go to myTwonky.com. Your libraries or available servers should appear in the drop-down list.

If that didn't work,you might have to clear your browser cache/cookies. Pressing Ctrl-Shift-Delete should bring up the prompt to clear your browser's cookies. On Internet Explorer, you may need to uncheck the "Preserve Favorites website data" setting, so that IE does not hold on to cookies that may cause issues. On Safari, selecting "Reset Safari" from the drop-down menu should clear the cache/cookies. Then close and restart your browser.
- Rick

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Sat May 26, 2012 5:16 pm

That didn't work for me, it's still showing:
All of your videos, music and photos in one place

Here's what you need to get started:
Download free Twonky 7

Twonky 7 lets you access your computer's videos, music and photos from myTwonky. With Twonky 7, you can also share media from myTwonky with your web-connected devices
instead of my files.

I'm not really prepared to change my browser, just to get this working. Whilst Opera may not have that big a marketshare, it's for me the best browser out of them all, and it supports exactly the same technologies that Chrome and Firefox do (Opera actually has better support in HTML5 actually), so there is no real reason why it shouldn't work if sites were written using web standards and not hacked using proprietary extensions.

HappyUser
AV Hardware:Noxon

Post by HappyUser » Sun May 27, 2012 2:28 pm

I've upgraded Twonkyserver on my DNS-323 NAS from 7.0.5 to 7.0.8 with same configuration.
After the upgrade Twonky starts to re-index everything. After it finished re-indexing, it crashes, starts automatically again and starts to reindex everything. This happens again and again
I've falled back to 7.0.5 with exactly the same configuration and everything works fine.

Any idea ?

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed May 30, 2012 8:42 pm

How large is your media library? Some NAS have limited memory and it's possible that you are reaching that limit. It's possible the newer software version has a memory leak which wasn't present in the old version.

As far as workarounds go, unfortunately I don't have a suggestion for you -- other than to try our next software update, but I'll pass this on to our engineers so they are aware of this.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed May 30, 2012 9:01 pm

mgillespie wrote:That didn't work for me, it's still showing...instead of my files.

I'm not really prepared to change my browser, just to get this working. Whilst Opera may not have that big a marketshare, it's for me the best browser out of them all, and it supports exactly the same technologies that Chrome and Firefox do (Opera actually has better support in HTML5 actually), so there is no real reason why it shouldn't work if sites were written using web standards and not hacked using proprietary extensions.
Understood. I'll pass this on as well.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:18 am

RE: The server indexing problem described here:
I've upgraded Twonkyserver on my DNS-323 NAS from 7.0.5 to 7.0.8 with same configuration.
After the upgrade Twonky starts to re-index everything. After it finished re-indexing, it crashes, starts automatically again and starts to reindex everything...
A server log might help us to figure out what's happening here. Could you generate one of those for us?

- Rick

dbdosto
AV Hardware:i2-200 cloud-edition

Post by dbdosto » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi,

My NAS (Iomega ix2-200 Cloud Edition) came with the 6.0.34 version of Townky but I would like to update the version of Twonkey to this version

Could someone advise which NAS Version i have to download. SSH is enabled :)

cu
Adrian

jackdaw
AV Hardware:Buffalo Linkstation Pro

Post by jackdaw » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:51 pm

This version causes my Revo Domino to crash when I browse. 6.0.39 works fine. I use a Buffalo LS-XL.
All my other clients work well with 7.08 and so I think it's specific to the Revo Domino.

ColinTaylor
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS-XL

Bugs

Post by ColinTaylor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:17 am

twonky-kirkwood-special-7.0.8

1. twonkywebdav
Does not honour -appdata parameter. Always creates file twonkywebdav.info in /var/twonky/TwonkyServer

2. Web interface: Settings > Sync.
Cannot add folder if contentbase is set to something other than "/" in twonkyserver.ini
Cannot browse folders whose names contain embedded apostrophes (i.e. /share/Colin's Media/Videos).

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks for the bug report.

- Rick