Slow playback from my NAS

Other OS or NAS discussions
ChuckleHut
AV Hardware:Asus M25 NAS, TP Link 841ND router/wifi, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet, Momo 11 Bird tablet
Slow playback from my NAS

Post by ChuckleHut » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 am

Hi everyone

I have the ASUS M-25 NAS, with a couple of 2TB drives. My media is on the NAS, which is connected to my wifi router by ethernet. On ethernet I get about 11mb/second (fast enough for video). When I use my tablet to connect to my media the play back is incredibly slow - it seems like the media is going via the internet instead of from the NAS direct to the tablet over the wifi.

What am I doing wrong?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Slow playback from my NAS

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Sending HD video over Wi-Fi is often problematic.

If you're tablet is not close to your access point data rates will drop. Consider a repeater if you think this may be happening.

Most tablets allow you to connect via Ethernet buy purchasing an adapter. You may want to try that, or look into some of the tips here and see if any of these help:
http://mostly-tech.com/2012/01/18/how-t ... ultimedia/

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

ChuckleHut
AV Hardware:Asus M25 NAS, TP Link 841ND router/wifi, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet, Momo 11 Bird tablet

Post by ChuckleHut » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 am

Hi Rick

I've been trying this with the tablet a foot or two away from the Wifi.

I am concerned that the stream I'm watching is being routed via the Twonky site and that is the cause for it being so slow. Could that be the problem?

Perhaps you have identified Wifi dropped signal as the problem because you already know that the data is never streamed via the net, but always comes locally?

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

Chuckles

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:41 pm

There is no way that we could route all videos through the Twonky site. We have millions and millions of users and that would be insanely expensive to do. We do have a cloud-based proxy, but that's only used for Web videos.

You need to isolate the problem so it's clear whether it is Wi-Fi related, tablet software related, tablet hardware related or NAS related.

1. I would start by running Speed Test on your tablet to see what type of speeds you're getting over Wi-Fi. I would also download a Wi-Fi analyzer and make sure you're not sharing bandwidth with other devices.

2. Then I would pick up an Ethernet adapter and see if that makes a difference.

3. One was to rule out the NAS is to move some media over to a computer and install Twonky Server on there.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

ChuckleHut

Post by ChuckleHut » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:34 am

Thanks, Rick. I will check this out.

Neil