Twonky Server 8.4 released

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC
Twonky Server 8.4 released

Post by twonky-christian » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi,

Twonky Server 8.4 is out :!:

You can get the PC versions at http://www.twonky.com

The self installed NAS versions are here: http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4/

andrewjr
AV Hardware:QNAP-TS431

Re: Twonky Server 8.4 released

Post by andrewjr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:51 pm

I have installed Twonky 8.4 on my QNAP NAS after QNAP removed support for it. I downloaded the install from the Twonky Forum I have tried at least 8 other media server platforms, including QNAP's built-in version and non works as well as Twonky so my decision to purchase a license was an easy one.

All installed OK, and it is working as well as it did when Twonky was available as one of the Apps to install. The one change is that it requires me to login which I think validates my licence and serial number. I do that and all is well. If I am not logged in then all the media receivers such as my Samsung Smart TV's or WD Live units all say "I am not logged in". What I have noticed is if the QNAP restarts and Twonky then reloads I am asked to login again. I have my QNAP do an overnight periodical restart (twice a week) and this means I need to use the Twonky webpage to login again each time. This is becoming a nuisance so is there a way I can set it to autologin with my Twonky/Lynx credentials when the QNAP restarts ?

Appreciate any assistance you can provide. In the meantime keep up the good work... Twonky is a superb media platform and exceptionally flexible and reliable.

Bitzer_2
AV Hardware:QNAP NAS TS-251

Post by Bitzer_2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:41 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I am running TwonkyServer for years on my old QNAP NAS and was quite disappointed about QNAPs decision to remove the support with the new firmwares. I bought a new QNAP NAS last week and installed the latest version of TwonkyServer (8.4) manually. Unfortunately I had to by the license, but still after any reboot it is necessary to log in through the Webinterface. This is not acceptable for a server based software. I went back to 8.3 which is fine. Please change the procedure of licence check again in order to avoid login after restart of the server, otherwise the software will be useless for many users.
Thanks!

jeandelaune
AV Hardware:Qnap 219p+
Samsung UE46ES7000S
Pioneer VSX-922

Post by jeandelaune » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:10 pm

I have had the same experience. On my 219p+ Twonky always worked fine. After upgrading to a higher level on my Qnap Twonky stopped working.
I installed Twonky 8.4 and everything was functioning again, but I had to pay for the Twonky licence. Where is my Twonky license based upon? Is it linked to my email address, is it linked to my hardware platform with associated SW package or do I buy a license for a specific Twonky release?

I ask this question to know what happens when:
- My email address changes
- My hardware changes, I buy another NAS
- Twonky issues an upgrade

slasher2k
AV Hardware:Qnap TS-653A

Post by slasher2k » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:32 am

I Have the same Problem. My NAS reboots every night. In this Case the Twonky Server is a complete FAIL.

d24dodo
AV Hardware:Qnap t212

Post by d24dodo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi Guys,

I had the same problem, but it's resolved now.
I contacted twonky support via support@twonky.com.
According to them, it's a Known issue. They promptly provided a beta version that works perfectly.
You should tell them the version of the package you are using and they will send you the link to download.
I have a QNAP T212, firmware 4.2.3.
I was using package TwonkyServerEU_8.4_arm-x19.qpkg so I was provided with TwonkyServerEU_8.4-beta-4_arm-x19.qpkg.
It works fine after 2 reboots.

Thanks

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:03 pm

twonky-christian wrote:Hi,

Twonky Server 8.4 is out :!:

You can get the PC versions at http://www.twonky.com

The self installed NAS versions are here: http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4/
Hi,

we uploaded a patched version, that mainly should solve the problem with QNAP, forgetting the login over night.
http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4/

thanks
Christian

SaliesBuzz
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-121
QNAP TS-219p
Samsung 6 series Smart TV
Android Smartphones
Windows 10 clients

Post by SaliesBuzz » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:19 am

I have tried to install 8.4 on a QNAP TS-121 that previously had 8.3, installed with a licence.
Twonky 8.4 does not seem to work for me as the Twonky Server interface hangs and becomes unresponsive.
Also when I attempt to enter my licence key through the connected Lynx account that I have created, the Lynx website tells me that the licence is already in use by another user.
I have reverted to 8.3 and everything then works fine, (including the licence).
Looks like there is still a problem with 8.4. :cry:

cha-ka-lak
AV Hardware:QNAP NAS

Post by cha-ka-lak » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:23 pm

we uploaded a patched version, that mainly should solve the problem with QNAP, forgetting the login over night.
downloads/8.4/

I am afraid, this did not fix the problem. I install 8.4.2 but still Twonkyserver requires a new login after the nightly reboot :-(

*EDIT - please disregard every thiny after "good morning" ;-) I now rebooted twice and Twonky came up correctly. Don't know what happened the 1st time. Works fine now.

Cheers
Cha-ka-lak

Hutchie
AV Hardware:Qnap samsung tv

Post by Hutchie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi, please I apologise for my ignorance, but I have not used Twonky before.
I have a qnap QTS TS-559 PRO WITH FIRMWARE VERSION 4.2.4,
Looking through the TWONKY 8.4 download list could someone please advise me of what package goes with my setup.
Many thanks in advance.
Also is there a client for samsung smart tv like plex or just the allshare

Thanks Arthur

korzus
AV Hardware:Qnap 469L

Post by korzus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:17 am

Hutchie wrote:Hi, please I apologise for my ignorance, but I have not used Twonky before.
I have a qnap QTS TS-559 PRO WITH FIRMWARE VERSION 4.2.4,
Looking through the TWONKY 8.4 download list could someone please advise me of what package goes with my setup.
Many thanks in advance.
Also is there a client for samsung smart tv like plex or just the allshare

Thanks Arthur
Doesnt need a client/app for samsung smart. You can access the media by pressing rc SOURCE button or selecting the media on the local twonky web page by selecting the device you want to play. Its pretty easy both methods. Good luck.