Twonky on PowerPC based Synology DS (106, 101G+)

Should Synology Run Twonkyvison Out Of The Box?

No, but they should make it an easy option!
17%
No, the built in UPNP Media server works fine!
No votes
Yes, right now!
83%

Total votes: 12

gablin
Twonky on PowerPC based Synology DS (106, 101G+)

Post by gablin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:50 pm

The PowerPC binary works great on my DS-106e... and should work on all DS with a PowerPC processor and is easily installed with the precompiled package/installer.
Last edited by gablin on Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cancan

Post by Cancan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:14 pm

Could you post how difficult it was to get Twonkey on to your Synology device and what the procedure is? Does this device even need a third party medai server firmware? I want to buy this device and have not read much about its ability to stream media effectively to buffalo media player.
Thanks
Cc

hudsonthehawk

Post by hudsonthehawk » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi CC!
Cancan wrote:Could you post how difficult it was to get Twonkey on to your Synology device and what the procedure is? Does this device even need a third party medai server firmware? I want to buy this device and have not read much about its ability to stream media effectively to buffalo media player.
Thanks
Cc
It's not to difficult anymore since Twonky released an own version for the Sysnology NAS. You find it here: http://www.twonkyvision.de/Download/Two ... index.html or here: http://www.twonkyvision.de/Download/Two ... index.html ...

These files came with an installer for windows and an readme which says it all. If you don't work with windows you use these version also but you have todo the installation manually. Here a short how-to:
  • 1. Update the firmware to the latest or requiered one
    2. Set up you NAS at least to the following:
    • - fixed Ip address which is valid in your network; do this under Network -> LAN. Also give her a nice name ...
      - enable the Multimedia Service at Network -> Multimedia Service. Set the DMA codepage to Unicode and the DMA language to the same language your Client is set up.
      - At last enable the Web Station (Network -> Web Service). Best is to restart your NAS
    3. Now you can copy your Media files to the NAS to the appropiate shares.
    4. Go to http://oinkzwurgl.org/software/ssods/ and scroll down to the heading "Hacking The DiskStation", there you can download the telnet patch which you should install before you install Twonky. There is a readme included, read this carefully! That zip-file is for all Syno NAS -- it just enable telnet access, so no processor specific code.
    5. Connect with your Windows Explorer or Apple Finder to the public-share on your NAS and make a new directory called "twonkyvision". Copy all the files from the ZIP-files to that directory. Delete the NASsetup.exe if you like ... you don't need it here.
    6. Access the DS via telnet (type telnet <your> and hit enter, use your admin account with password to log in). Navigate to /volume1/public/twonkyvision and type ./twonkymusic or ./twonkymedia. Now the server starts up, you can leave the application with ctrl-c ...
    7. In the Telnet session type vi /etc/rc.local this creates a new file with name rc.local in the folder /etc; this file is reponsible for starting the Twonky server automatically. Type i (you change to the vi edit mode) and type in cd /volume1/public/twonkyvision -- hit enter. In the next line type /volume1/public/twonkyvision/twonkymusic -D or /volume1/public/twonkyvision/twonkymedia -D -- press ESC, then type :wq. This saves the file and the Twonky server starts automatically the next time you reboot you NAS.
    8. Back in Windows Explorer or Apple Finder open the \\<your>\public\twonkyvision\twonkyvision-config1.html with your webbrowser. Now you can configure the Twonky server as you need. Remember when you have to put in a path name best is to put in absolute path names like /volume1/music/iTunes ... The Twonky configuration depends which music file you use (MP3, AAC, FLAC, etc.).
Best is you google for some of the linux commands, makes it easier for you if you not the linux guru. ;-) Also helpfull commands are ps, kill and killall ...

Hope this helps.
-- Hudson

Homer Simpson: "Rock stars ... Is there anything they don't know?"
Running Twonky on a DS-106e

Cancan

Post by Cancan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:16 pm

Thanks a lot Hudson. Not all that easy for me but I feel like I will get it sorted. How is the OEM media server on the DS 106? Is it pretty bad? I know Twonkey will make it better but how bad is the OEM version? Can I stream movies and iTunes from it without the Twonkey?

Thanks again Hudson for you help. I am very grateful.

CC

hudsonthehawk

Post by hudsonthehawk » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:48 am

Cancan wrote:Not all that easy for me but I feel like I will get it sorted.
Hi Cancan!

Sorry that I don't make myself clearer ... If you run Windows on one of your PCs it is very easy because you can use the NASsetup.exe, which is included in the ZIP-file!!! Just read the readme before you start it -- there you wil find all the links to the pre-requisits you'll need. No fiddling around with a rc.local file and so on, the installer will do this for you. ;-) After the installation is done you will see a screen what you have to do next. Just one thing: do the stuff I wrote in my last post under point 2 -- that is definitivly needed and can't be done with the installer, afaik.

Your other questions, I answered some of them in another post: http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1893

Hope this helps. CU
-- Hudson

hkfoolguy

Post by hkfoolguy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:08 am

hudsonthehawk wrote:....
4. Go to http://oinkzwurgl.org/software/ssods/ and scroll down to the heading "Hacking The DiskStation", there you can download the telnet patch which you should install before you install Twonky. There is a readme included, read this carefully! That zip-file is for all Syno NAS -- it just enable telnet access, so no processor specific code.
I had download the newest Twonkyvision and tried to install it on my 106e. However, the README file states that I need to crack the Diskstation before installation. Since I know nothing on Linux, please help to advise more detail on installong telnet patch into my 106e.

my configuration is as below

Synology 106e
XP Professional
D-Link 614 Wireless AP

Thanks

hudsonthehawk

Post by hudsonthehawk » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:43 am

hkfoolguy wrote:I had download the newest Twonkyvision and tried to install it on my 106e. However, the README file states that I need to crack the Diskstation before installation. Since I know nothing on Linux, please help to advise more detail on installong telnet patch into my 106e.
Well you just need the Telnet patch (http://oinkzwurgl.org/software/ssods/), un-zip the file and use the "enable-telnet.pat" file with the update feature on your DS-106e (Tools -> Update), browse for the file and hit OK. But read the readme.txt file included with the patch carefully, you will get an error code 42, which means the patch is installed. Then you can open a command line window and type telnet <your_DS_IP_address>. Now you should get a login prompt where you type in your admin (or root) account and after hitting Enter your corresponding password. If you see than a prompt with the name of you DS, everything is fine. You can logout with the exit command.

That's it. ;-) Hope this helps.
-- Hudson

hkfoolguy

Post by hkfoolguy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:44 pm

hudsonthehawk wrote: That's it. ;-) Hope this helps.
Successed! Thanks!!!!! 8)

dirkonthenet

Runs fine on Synology DS-106 too

Post by dirkonthenet » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:38 pm

Hi, i just wanted to post, that the Twonky MusicServer also runs fine on the Synology DS-106. I Used the Installation agent for Windows... With the patched Update (telnet) as discribed.

Unfortunately I could only bring the Music Server to run but not the MediaServer. What ever might be the reason???

Cheers Dirk

Cancan

Post by Cancan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:09 am

Hi everyone,
Hudson, thanks so much for all of the information. I just got my DS 106e and have not had a chance to flash anything other than OEM firmware. In fact, I had a hell of a time getting the server ware and software installed because the DS shipped with the latest firmware but the CD with server ware and DS assistant were of an older version. It was truly a mess.

Syno support was good all done via email however, I did call Taiwan first and got someone to speak English with me. I am now ready to get some Twonkey on my box and the Syno tech guy told me that the labs in Taiwan are running a lot of test with Twonkey to see if they can ship with Twonkey preinstalled. He said to get the Twonkey as the OEM server ware is bare-bones and he is not too familiar with the Twonkey but the boys in the shop say it is fantastic.

In any case, please post here if you have any other recommendations for me or any updates on how it all works. I just received a new Zensonic Z500 Media player/reciever to run wireless off my network. I shopped around a lot before I found this unit and it has had great reviews however, the forum indicates a few bugs need to be sorted as this device is so current there are some glitches that need work. Will keep you posted on the status of the Zensonic Z500.

All that said, does anyone know how I can transfer commercial DVD's that I own and bought in a store, to my DS 106e? I cannot seem to figure this out. Do I need some special program? Cut and paste did not work so well. What I would really like to do is copy the DVD's to the DS 106e in whatever the most user friendly file format is. Any help is appreciated and again thanks for all of the great advice.

Cc

hudsonthehawk

Post by hudsonthehawk » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:54 pm

Hello Cancan!
Cancan wrote:Hudson, thanks so much for all of the information. I just got my DS 106e and have not had a chance to flash anything other than OEM firmware. In fact, I had a hell of a time getting the server ware and software installed because the DS shipped with the latest firmware but the CD with server ware and DS assistant were of an older version. It was truly a mess.
Well, I hope it works for you now. I bought the DS-106e and the harddisk seperatly so I just had this CD firmware version to setup ... Which didn't work in the beginning because I used my Mac. After I switched to my PC everything worked fine for the installation process.

Cancan wrote:Syno support was good all done via email however, I did call Taiwan first and got someone to speak English with me. I am now ready to get some Twonkey on my box and the Syno tech guy told me that the labs in Taiwan are running a lot of test with Twonkey to see if they can ship with Twonkey preinstalled. He said to get the Twonkey as the OEM server ware is bare-bones and he is not too familiar with the Twonkey but the boys in the shop say it is fantastic.
Yeah I heard the rumour to ... I got news that they thinking of including SlimServer in their firmware what I think will be shame ... but it's free to use on the other hand. Just wait and see I think. ;-)

Cancan wrote:All that said, does anyone know how I can transfer commercial DVD's that I own and bought in a store, to my DS 106e? I cannot seem to figure this out. Do I need some special program? Cut and paste did not work so well. What I would really like to do is copy the DVD's to the DS 106e in whatever the most user friendly file format is. Any help is appreciated and again thanks for all of the great advice.
Sorry can't help you with that. I just use the TwonkyMusic server because I own just a Roku Soundbridge. But let us know what your progress are and how well it worked. ;-) And if you got any news from Synology concerning the pre-installed TwonkyServer.

Have a nice weekend.
-- Hudson

J@n

Post by J@n » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:40 pm

Hi CC,
Cancan wrote: All that said, does anyone know how I can transfer commercial DVD's that I own and bought in a store, to my DS 106e? I cannot seem to figure this out. Do I need some special program? Cut and paste did not work so well. What I would really like to do is copy the DVD's to the DS 106e in whatever the most user friendly file format is. Any help is appreciated and again thanks for all of the great advice.Cc
One place you might want to take a look is here: http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/
The free version allows you to convert your DVD's to DIVX. TwonkyMedia supports Divx so that should make it possible to stream your DVD's. Note however that converting your DVD to DiVX takes quite some time depending on your system's configuration.

Enjoy

Greetz,

J@n
Software: TwonkyMedia (upgraded)
Streaming: Synology DS101j (320 GB) for Music and Pictures (hardly); Synology DS106e (500 GB) for Video using Wizd (sorry...only can afford one license TM) Player: Netgear EVA-700 (The SL50i has died)

bionico

Post by bionico » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:15 pm

hudsonthehawk wrote:
[...]

7. In the Telnet session type vi /etc/rc.local this creates a new file with name rc.local in the folder /etc; this file is reponsible for starting the Twonky server automatically. Type i (you change to the vi edit mode) and type in cd /volume1/public/twonkyvision -- hit enter. In the next line type /volume1/public/twonkyvision/twonkymusic -D or /volume1/public/twonkyvision/twonkymedia -D -- press ESC, then type :wq. This saves the file and the Twonky server starts automatically the next time you reboot you NAS.
I have Synology DS-106J and when I try to save the file appear this "Write error: Permission denied"

hudsonthehawk

Post by hudsonthehawk » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:01 am

On the NAS did you login as root? That's the only thing I come up with ... :-( When you do an ls -la or dir in the /etc directory you should see that all other files have only root permissions. And I don't know if it's a good idea to change this. But I have to say that I am not a linux guru, so maybe another here at the forum can say more ...

Does the Installer.exe doesn't work or why do you do an manual installation?

Have a nice time.
-- Hudson

bionico

Post by bionico » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:19 pm

hudsonthehawk wrote:On the NAS did you login as root?
[...]
:(

Problem solved, I mistook the login, I used mine login instead of "root"
Bionico