Divx formats doesn't play on my Philips Streamium TV

all about streamium
kick_wel
Divx formats doesn't play on my Philips Streamium TV

Post by kick_wel » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:52 pm

I have a new Philps streamium television (model 37pf9731/10), with an integrated network interface, Philips delivered a program called Philips Media Manager (PMM) with that program I can see all digital (including DivX, XVID, etc) video’s. But I want to use TwonkyMedia under Debian, because PMM doesn’t work under linux without.

The specifications of my tv are viewable in pdf: http://huize-wel.nl/~kick/tv/37pf9731.pdf, you can see that it supports upnp and different kinds of divx and xvid.

The problem is that with Twonky my tv doesn’t play any divx, xvid or mpg4, only the filetypes as mpeg, mp3, jpg are correctly showed. My question is, if there is a possibility to play that kind of video files with Twonkey on my tv and not only mpeg?

I also published my .ini file of Twonky http://huize-wel.nl/~kick/tv/twonkyvisi ... server.ini

Ps. I also tried ushare and a lot of other upnp players, some even didn't show jpeg files.

franzli

Divx formats doesn't play on my Philips 42PF9831D

Post by franzli » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. It seems that PMM is doing some kind of transcoding while sending the stream to the TV. I am trying to understand if it wouldn't be possible to do the same via "mencoder".

Anyway my TV is a Philips 42PF9831D.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kick_wel

Post by kick_wel » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:44 pm

I see i'm not alone, so it isn't my configuration or server. Maybe I need to send an e-mail to Philips.

franzli

Post by franzli » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:36 am

kick_wel wrote:I see i'm not alone, so it isn't my configuration or server. Maybe I need to send an e-mail to Philips.
Hi, no, I think you are not alone, but nobody else is complaining about this issue.

I think I understood how to convert a file so that it can be streamed by twonkymedia and seened through our philips tv.

I have used vlc to do that. I believe anyway that our tv accepts only a mpeg-1 stream, despite of what the specifications are saying the fact that it accepts all those formats is just a matter of transcoding done by PMM.

I have also learned how to configure vlc for streaming and twonkymedia to divert that stream to the tv. Unfortunately during the streaming there is no possibility to control the flow (no stop, pause, ff, rew). The other problem is that when you start vlc, the streaming starts and it doesn't stop till the end.

I hope somebody else can come out with some magic idea on how to do something better.

Soon the testing period of twonkymedia will expire and I am not sure if I will buy it or not, since it's not covering the transcoding which is a first priority for us to use it with our tv.

Regards,
Franc

kick_wel

Post by kick_wel » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:55 am

I don’t think it doesn’t play divx or xvid at all. On my tv I also have the possibility to watch pictures, movies and music directly from a memory stick. When I put a Xvid or Divx videos on that memory stick I’m able watch it.

Regards

Kick

franzli

Post by franzli » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:32 am

kick_wel wrote:I don’t think it doesn’t play divx or xvid at all. On my tv I also have the possibility to watch pictures, movies and music directly from a memory stick. When I put a Xvid or Divx videos on that memory stick I’m able watch it.

Regards

Kick
Hmmm, that's an interesting point, tonight I will try as well and I will let you know. I have so much material in divx/xvid that it would be a shame to have everything converted to a simpler and bigger mpeg1.

Franc

agb007

Similar problem

Post by agb007 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:13 am

I have a similair problem on the SLM5500.

Some divx/xvid don't play if use Twonky but they work with PMM.

So my conclusion is that Twonky is the problem.

regards
agron

kick_wel

Post by kick_wel » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:04 pm

It isn't special twonkey, every upnp player I tried didn't play any video: ushare, mediatomb and gmediaserver.

franzli

Post by franzli » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:36 am

Last night I wanted to try to see something I have put on my USB key, but unfortunately it didn't work. It seems that the WMV files are not accepted. Tonight I will try with some avis XVID.
If PMM is doing a transcoding it means that the TV doesn't support those formats (at least not as a streaming format), otherwise we have to try to see what PMM does and let the twonky guys understand this.

I am finishing my trial period in a couple of weeks and if this problem won't be solved I won't buy twonky. I could help, but I will uninstall it after the end of the trial period.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:52 am

put this as a bug in the mantis - we will have a look

http://www.twonkyvision.com/mantis

franzli

Post by franzli » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:02 am

Ok, I have tried and the DIVX/XVID on the USBKEY are perfectly decoded by the TV. So at this point I can try to sniff the packets between PMM and the TV to see if the format is left untouched, or maybe the mime code is different than the one sent by twonky.

Don't leave me alone in this. Any other suggestion?

agb007

Post by agb007 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:32 am

Has anyone wrote it in to the bug report system?

My problem is that some divx/xvid works with Twonky others not.
I have compared files that work with files that don't work with gspot.

and i don't find the difference ... does anyone know what to look for?

kick_wel

Post by kick_wel » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:53 am

I wrote the following in the bug repport system:
Philips has a new kind of upnp compatible tv's with an integrated network interface. It is also possible to connect a memorycard or usbstick/drive to view movies. With an usb device it is possible to vieuw xvid, divx and mpeg2 files. With the PMM it is also possible to stream a lot various coded streams: xvid, divx and others.

The problem occurs when using an other upnp media server such as twonky 4.1. When streaming xvid or divx the tv doesn’t know the format, other files as mp3 jpeg mpeg2 are correctly showed.

Some philips tv owners like to buy your program when it correctly play xvid/divx , and when needed will help twonkey with testing and understanding the problem.
Hopefully it will be fixed!

franzli

Post by franzli » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:45 pm

Twonky developers, is there anything in particular we can do to help you solve this problem?

franzli

Post by franzli » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:55 pm

franzli wrote:Twonky developers, is there anything in particular we can do to help you solve this problem?
Nobody answers?

Maybe it means there is nothing to do?

piezomotor

Re: Divx formats doesn't play on my Philips Streamium TV

Post by piezomotor » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:52 am

kick_wel wrote:I have a new Philps streamium television (model 37pf9731/10), with an integrated network interface, Philips delivered a program called Philips Media Manager (PMM) with that program I can see all digital (including DivX, XVID, etc) video’s. But I want to use TwonkyMedia under Debian, because PMM doesn’t work under linux without.

The specifications of my tv are viewable in pdf: http://huize-wel.nl/~kick/tv/37pf9731.pdf, you can see that it supports upnp and different kinds of divx and xvid.

The problem is that with Twonky my tv doesn’t play any divx, xvid or mpg4, only the filetypes as mpeg, mp3, jpg are correctly showed. My question is, if there is a possibility to play that kind of video files with Twonkey on my tv and not only mpeg?

I also published my .ini file of Twonky http://huize-wel.nl/~kick/tv/twonkyvisi ... server.ini

Ps. I also tried ushare and a lot of other upnp players, some even didn't show jpeg files.
Hi, Where can I download this software Philips Media Manager?

agb007

Post by agb007 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Hi!

You can find it at Philips site.

If you search for slm5500 and look at support.
If you own a Streamium product you should have recived it as a cd

agron

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:56 am

PMM does a lot of transcoding - but we will have a look

franzli

Post by franzli » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:52 pm

twonky-christian wrote:PMM does a lot of transcoding - but we will have a look
Thank you Christian, I really appreciate it...

agb007

Post by agb007 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:07 pm

According to a guy at streamiumcafé it might have to do with corrupted riff's

http://www.streamiumcafe.com/ubbthreads ... #Post15864

regards
agron

agb007

...and the problem is solved!!!

Post by agb007 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:55 pm

Hi!

Take a look at http://www.streamiumcafe.com/ubbthreads ... &fpart=all

:D :D :D :D :D :D

i run slm5500, mss+ and twonky 4.1 and now movies that didn't work with Twonky but with PMM now work with Twonky too.

agron

kick_wel

hexedit

Post by kick_wel » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:06 pm

The solution with hexedit does'nt work for me, i tried 5 films after hexediting them but they give errors in windows and on my tv.

pew
AV Hardware:Roku M2000, Roku M1001
Playstation 3
Phillips Stremium TV

Post by pew » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:29 pm

Did we get any response from the posting to Mantis etc.

Any solved the problem... I would love to use Twonky instead of Philips supplied software.

kick_wel

Post by kick_wel » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:26 pm

Yes, I believe it is assigned now!

BigKid

Post by BigKid » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:05 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I've got the same problem...
Same TV (37PF9731) and Twonky running on a bufallo linkstation...

vobs do run...
avi/divx don't

A tried to get some useful information out of philips tech support but they insist that pmm does NO recoding...

Oh well...
I would really like to use Twonky because the pre-installed mediabolic upnp server keeps on accessing the drive continously... That does make some ugly noise and I think it will not increase the life time of my linkstation...

Please help...

EDIT 2007-04-19:
I looked into mantis - much feedback of users - not much (if any) feedback by "twonky's" ...
Someone tried to compare the streams pmm sends and the streams twonky sends on the same movie ?

tobias

Post by tobias » Wed May 30, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi,

I am not sure if this helps but there is a new post on streamiumcafe:
http://www.streamiumcafe.com/ubbthreads ... #Post18974

It links to this page:
http://www.thecastle.me.uk/index.php/Philips_TV

Here it is recommended to convert files using ffmpeg to let them play on a philips tv:

ffmpeg -i "Input_filename.mpg or avi etc" -acodec mp2 -ab 192000 -ac 2 -g 3000/10001 -s 720x576 -bf 2 -b 4900000 -vcodec mpeg1video "output_filename.mpeg"

I was not able to test it since my 42PF9731D was not yet delivered (prob. next week 8) ).

Regards,
Tobias

kick_wel

Post by kick_wel » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:41 pm

Tobias thank you for your interest. The Philips tv's are indeed capable with the mpeg2 format in combination with twonky, but it is not an practical solution when it isn't integrated into Twonky itself.
I want to ask the Twonky vision crew to give some feedback because I'm waiting for a half year now without knowing anything about it. Does there ever comes a solution or is it possible to build a plugin to recode the movies on-the-fly to mpeg? And if you think you can’t fix it, please say it because waiting so long is frustrating.

Thank you all in advance,

tobias

Post by tobias » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:42 am

I just got my 42PF9731D/10 and I experience the same issues.
The Philips software Philips Media Manager (PMM) plays much more videos than Twonky. Unfortunately is needs to run under Windows and I need a linux based solution.

So I came up with a really ugly workaround: I installed PMM on my NT laptop and it accesses my Linux Server via Samba for streaming media. But this is really not a desirable solution.

Are there any comments from Twonky when and if ever these issues are solved?

Thanks,
Tobias

ironheart

Post by ironheart » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:00 am

Hi everyone,

I am quite new to this forum and hope this wasn't mentioned already.

I had the same problem with Twonky and Philips TV's (I've got a 37PF9731). I found out that Twonky and PMM send different MIME-Types to the client:

PMM: video/x-ms-avi
Twonky: video/x-msvideo

I patched Twonky accordingly using a Hex-Editor (Sorry!) and it works like a charm.

Now, would it be possible for the Twonky-Team to add such a tweak to the configuration of the server?

Cheers

PS: If anyone needs the patched server, I am happy to provide it.

tobias

Post by tobias » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi Ironheart,

that's interesting.
Could you please give more details on this procedure?
Which Twonky version did you patch? Which OS? At which hex address did you apply the patch with the Hex editor?

Thanks,

Tobias

tobias

Post by tobias » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi,

I just patched the twonkymediaserver as described and it seems to work fine. I have no idea how you managed to find this out but that's really aweseome.

@Twonkyteam: Is there a chance that this could be incorparated in a next version?

Thanks,
Tobias

jui

Post by jui » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:06 pm

Could someone provide a how-to on how to patch a running twonky (Mine is running on a QNAP) maybe from within a telnet session? I hope that it is not required to compile the complete stuff and change the source code.

Thx!

ironheart

Patching twonkeyserver

Post by ironheart » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:12 pm

Hi everyone,

Here is what I did:

1. Make a backup copy of /usr/local/TwonkyVision/twonkyserver
2. Copy twonkyserver from /usr/local/TwonkyVision to home directory (or wherever you can access it with a hex-editor)
3. Open twonkyserver with UltraEdit (or whatever you feel comfortable with)
4. Search for x-msvideo and replace it with x-ms-avi. There are 2 occurrences. In the first, you have to replace the remaining character with a hex 00 (careful not a ascii '0'). The second occurrence, you have to delete the remaining character (in UltraEdit press Ctrl-D), then look for the next occurrences of hex 00's and insert one hex 00 there (also Ctrl-D).
5. Save the file (the resulting file size should be identical with the original)
6. Stop the server (/etc/init.d/twonkyserver stop)
7. Copy the new file to /usr/local/TwonkyVision
8. Start the server (/etc/init.d/twonkyserver start)

Maybe it is enough to change only one occurrence. I didn't try to find out and changed both.

Hope this helps!

@tobias: I used a network analyzer (tcpdump, ethereal) 8-)

Cheers

florian101

Post by florian101 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:53 pm

Hi everyone !!

thanks to you for the tips, now twonky is working for videos on my linux server.

but ironhearts, do you have the same kind of tip for pics and music ? because it's not working on my philips TV :(

jui

Post by jui » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:11 pm

Hi ironheart,

thanks for the great work. I wonder that the guys from twonkyvision did not investigate in this issue so far, although there werse several requests pending for a while in this Forum. However, hopefully this will lead to a Twonky version where the user can choose the device the twonky server should be interoperable with.

Great Thanks,
I will try this on my QNAP TS-201 maybe tonight.

@florian101: I never had a problem with my Streamium and Pics or MP3, only with some Video-Files (not all but mostly DivX).

florian101

Post by florian101 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:17 pm

Hi jui,

Edit : my excuse, it's working !!!!!!

I was so embarassed with videos that i did not tryed pics with twonky !

Thanks a lot for your help !!
Last edited by florian101 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tobias

Post by tobias » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi Florian,

I don't have issues with JPG, MP3, Shoutcast and vTuner either. It works fine on my Philips TV.
And thanks to Ironheart now even DivX/xvid type of videos work fine.

Maybe you can add some details about your issues with music and pics and we can try to offer some help.

Best regards,

Tobias

florian101

Post by florian101 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:43 pm

as i said before, it's fine, just some old pics not working.

Maybe my server it not fast enough, but the solution is not "perfect", but it's working and far to be the worst !

kick_wel

Thanks Ironheart

Post by kick_wel » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi Ironheart,

Thanks for the great work you have done :D . Is works as good as PMM at the moment. Now I searching for a solution for the screen format for the Philips tv ( same as tobias).

Thanks a lot,

Kick van der Wel

gigirex
AV Hardware:Philips TV, PS3, PC all ethernet connected

Philips 37PF9731: resolutions supported:

Post by gigirex » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:29 pm

Hi!
I found this very interesting post on SimpleCenter forum regarding resolution supported by the media render insight the Philips 37PF9731:

http://www.simplecenter.com/jive/thread ... ageID=1403

I hope that this informations are useful for configuring twonky server...

ConorMc

Was this ever resolved?

Post by ConorMc » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:54 am

I still have this issue running an embedded Twonky v4.3 in a LaCie Ethernet BigDisk - no Hex Editor access so Ironheart's workaround is no good for me :-(

Has any subsequent Twonky release fixed it?