Can I run two Twonkeys on the NSLU?

LinkSys wireless Music Player and LinkSys Media Adapter
Jools
Can I run two Twonkeys on the NSLU?

Post by Jools » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:35 pm

Hi,

I'm working through my config to get twonkey running as sooth as I can, but I know my library is huge. So all the scantime=0 and reduce nodes tips will help but not change total number of files - which will continue to grow and grow.

On my Soundbridge the lookup time is long, and I guess that's obvious with many 1,000's of mp3s. So I figured what If I was running two instances of twonkey on separate ports, exposed as separate uPNP devices, I could set up all my MP3s with all my music in the /mp3 directory, but those albums that are my favourites in the /mp3/fav directory.

This way the Twonkey Full instance can point at the /mp3 dir and get all the music including those in the sub-dir fav, and the second instance could point at /mp3/fav and so only have the favourites and be way quicker to parse and load.

Can this actually be done, and If so how. If I get it to work I'll cross over the infor to the NSLU2 forum, and write up a formal HowTo as well.

I have every faith that the community can do this :) even for a really basic linux user like me.

Jools.
NSLU2 + uNLSUng 5.5 + 300G HDD + Twonkey 2.9 + Roku = :)

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:27 am

you will need a few things:

specify different infiles - use the -infile option for this
specify different user prefered names and ports

thank it should work

SomeGuy

Two Twonkys

Post by SomeGuy » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:10 am

I did this for a while, it wasnt hard. All I had to do was specify different .ini files in the startup command line. NSLU2 ran both instances without any apparent problems.

beeker

Re: Can I run two Twonkeys on the NSLU?

Post by beeker » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:45 pm

Jools wrote: If I get it to work I'll cross over the infor to the NSLU2 forum, and write up a formal HowTo as well.
Is there a formal HowTo now, anywhere? I've got a similar problem - I'd like to run two or three TwonkyMedia instances (latest version) on my NSLU2. I'm quite firm in using Windows systems, but I don't understand anything from Linux and I was only able to install Unslung because of the great Dummie-HowTo's existing there.

So, would anybody be able to tell an absolutely stupid newbie how to get a second instance on the NSLU2?

Regards

beeker

Shutty

Post by Shutty » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:15 am

twonky-christian wrote:you will need a few things:

specify different infiles - use the -infile option for this
specify different user prefered names and ports

thank it should work
Can somwone help a duffer out and tell me where this should be done? I'd like to have a server specifically for the wife's crap music and a server for my good music!

herbandor

Post by herbandor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:50 am

Do you speek german?

Here I found a HowTo in german for the NSLU and the Twonky
www.7steps.de

Regards

Shutty

Post by Shutty » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:36 am

Unfortunately not! :cry: and due to the format of the site google can't translate it either.

Don't suppose there is a kind soul out there prepared to translate it for me? I'd more than appreciate it!

Thanks in advance

herbandor

Post by herbandor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:23 pm

Hi Shutty,
try again, made a fast translation and my english is not the best...
Click the english flag on top... Hope you can understand everything.

Bye Herb

marcowoman

Post by marcowoman » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi. I too am trying to run two Twonky servers at the same time on my windows XP platform. I'd like one movie server for the kids, another for the parents. I'm using a couple of the DSM-520 as the clients.

I've got two subdirectories of the Twonky files. This allows me to have two INI files, and I'm using two different ports. I've tried starting/restarting these many times. On a COUPLE of instances, my DSM-520s will see two different servers (I give them different names). So I know this will work. However, a vast majority of the time, the DSM-520 'flickers' back and forth between the two. If I go into the 'movies' menu repeatedly, it seems random as to which server it's picking the list from.

Since it's worked a couple of times, I THINK this should work... but can't get it to work reliably. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great. If there's a different way to do what I'm trying to do, I'd be all up for that as well. It seems I've read that there's a function coming to allow a server to only allow connectivity to a specific client mac address.... which maybe would work for this too?

thanks

Innovonet

Post by Innovonet » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:03 am

Hello, install Twonky 4.2RC1. There you have Client / Security settings.
The description is: ...Lists of clients which have contacted the server. For each client, the access to the server can be restricted...
Seems you can set each host to only accept specific client IPs.
Check it out and let us know if it works.
Thanks, Thomas
Noxon2, Soundbridge1001, Showcenter200. NSLU2, FSG3, Intradisk. Fritzbox 7050

jmflavor

Post by jmflavor » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:56 am

Hello. I'm just about in the same boat as marco, and if I could get some help, that would be wonderful.

Basically I have two instances of Twonky running from two different directories, and I can access them both from either ip:9000 or ip:9001 and configure them as I please. However, my clients (a Roku or my computers through Cidero) will only see the second one. What's up with this?

I have practically no knowledge of anything technical when it comes to computers and I suspect there is probably something very obvious and simple I could do to solve my problem (read: I have probably done something idiotic--please help!).

Extended details:

1) Installed uNSLUng 6.8 beta onto a memory stick. 2) Installed Twonky 4.3 with the NASSetup I downloaded from the site a couple of days ago. 3) Deleted the autostart file from init.d. 4) Renamed the "twonkyvision" folder "twonkyvision2". 4) Created a folder named "twonkyvision" and made two directories within it: "server1" and "server2". 5) Copied all the folders and files from "twonkyvision2" into both my subdirectories. 6) Renamed server programs and created autostart files as directed by herbandor's walkthrough (http://www.7steps.de -> Enter Homepage -> N SLU 2 -> English HowTo).

At this point both instances run and can be accessed as described above. In the way of troubleshooting, I have 1) named the servers with the brackets herbandor says are necessary (eg. "These People's Server (Server 1)"; "Those People's Server (Sever 2)"), and I have 2) named the servers and specified their ports in the twonkymedia-default.ini file and restored their default settings through the web interface.

Points that seem important to me: 1) The media browser through the web interface loads fine for my server on port 9001 (the server my clients can see), but for my server on port 9000, it shows only an empty blue rectangular box. 2) When I was running Twonky normally, right after the NASSetup, I could reboot the servers and they would come back up. Now, I also have to reboot my nslu2 before I can see them again.

A potentially relevant curiosity: in my new "twonkyvision" folder, a file named "twonkymedia.db" has been created. This file also exists in "twonkyvision"'s two subdirectories from which my servers are running.

Soooo anyway, many thanks in advance. Twonky was running amazingly with just the one, and if I could get my Roku to see the two, it would be like a dream come true.

jmflavor

Post by jmflavor » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:40 am

Hmm, I missed a relevant thread earlier: http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2885

I will be reviewing this! Looks like I'll probably be able to learn something.

jmflavor

Post by jmflavor » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:40 am

Well, I deleted the twonkymedia.db folders and after rebooting I can browse both servers through the web interface. Also, I can see both through Cidero and my Roku. However, it's either one of the other. Sometimes when I start Cidero I get the first server, sometimes the second, both with about the same frequency. With my Roku it's the same story.

I guess Cidero and the Rokus must be able to handle more than one server, so I don't know at this point. It seems like everything should be in order :/

Argh!